• Narrow Gauge Atlantic

• Discussion of steam locomotives from all manufacturers and railroads
Discussion of steam locomotives from all manufacturers and railroads

Moderators: Typewriters, slide rules

by dmk092

While surfing the net, I found a picture of a narrow gauge atlantic here:

http://narrowmind.railfan.net/442ng-wp.jpg

I always thought such an engine was a contradiction in terms. Atlantics were used to haul high speed short passanger trains. Narrow gauge railways were often constructed hastily with uneven track work, thus heavily restricting speeds. Also, the livelihood of most narrow gauge railways, especially logging ones (as the Washington & Plymouth appears to be) were long freights. So now the question arises, does anyone have any more info on this locomotive, the railway on which it operated (Washington & Plymouth), the type of service it was used in, and any other narrow gauge engines with a 4-4-2 wheel arrangement?

by Aa3rt

An Internet search revealed that the Washington and Plymouth ran between Washington and Plymouth, North Carolina. (One of those rare instances where a railroad actually served its namesake cities.) It was built in 1889 by the Roanoke Railroad and Lumber Company. It achieved common carrier staus in 1901. That is the extent of the information I was able to uncover on a cursory search.

Washington, NC is in Beaufort County, approximately 30 miles E/SE of Greenville. Plymouth is northeast of Washington in Washington County. The railroad would have run between Albemarle Sound and the Pamlico River.

by Cosmo

It just goes to show ya' they made 'em all different ways, shapes and sizes! :-D