• Name the Silver line stations survey

• Discussion related to DC area passenger rail services from Northern Virginia to Baltimore, MD. Includes Light Rail and Baltimore Subway.
Discussion related to DC area passenger rail services from Northern Virginia to Baltimore, MD. Includes Light Rail and Baltimore Subway.

Moderators: mtuandrew, therock, Robert Paniagua

by tommyboy6181

I went ahead and did this earlier. This is what I went with:

Station #1: Scotts Run-McLean (filled in as other choice)
Station #2: Tysons Corner
Station #3: Greensboro Park
Station #4: Spring Hill
Station #5: Wiehle Ave-Reston (filled in as other choice)
Station #6: Reston Town Center
Station #7: Herndon-Monroe
Station #8: Coppermine Crossing (filled in as other choice and meets the 19 character limit)
  by Sand Box John

"tommyboy6181"

Station #1: Scotts Run-McLean (filled in as other choice)

I Like, As Scotts Run pass under the elevated just east of the east end of the platform.

Station #8: Coppermine Crossing (filled in as other choice and meets the 19 character limit)

Interesting name combination

My choices

Station #1: Tysons McLean
Station #2: Tysons Center (though it best at covering all the bases)
Station #3: Pike Seven Plaza (Pike Seven Plaza is across the eastbound lanes of Leesburg Pike from the station}
Station #4: Spring Hill Road
Station #5: Whiele Avenue - Reston
Station #6: Reston Parkway
Station #8: Innovation
  by SchuminWeb

The name "Wiehle Avenue-Reston" grates on me because it reminds me of the previously announced names, where a number of names were used multiple times. Simply "Wiehle Avenue" is sufficient, IMO.
  by Sand Box John

"SchuminWeb"
The name "Wiehle Avenue-Reston" grates on me because it reminds me of the previously announced names, where a number of names were used multiple times. Simply "Wiehle Avenue" is sufficient, IMO.

If we can get enough people to chime in here it might change some thinking as to why one name is better then another. You convinced me.

If you look at from a map prospective, Wiehle Avenue-Reston is redundant as the entire length of Wiehle Avenue is in Reston. Same applies to Reston Parkway.

I am beginning to lean to your thinking.

Station #1: Scotts Run
Station #2: Tysons Center
Station #3: Pike Seven Plaza
(see my response to tommyboy6181 in post above)
Station #4: Spring Hill Road
Station #5: Whiele Avenue
Station #6: Reston Parkway
Station #8: Innovation (Using the same logic as the Coppermine chose in the survey, I kind of like Horse Pen as that is what Sunrise Valley Road and Rock Hill Road between Frying Pan Road and Old Ox Road use to be named)

Now how about the stations beyond the airport in Loudoun County:

Station #10: Morgan Road (other options: Stirling Road, West Stirling or Stirling West)
Station #11: Ryan Road (other options: Ryan Park or Ryan)
  by afiggatt

Sand Box John wrote: Station #1: Tysons McLean
Of the four Tysons stations, the most difficult to come up with a good name for are #1 and #3. If we stick Tysons in the names of all 4, it will be rather confusing. Maybe only for the 2 middle stations of the 4. #1 is not very accessible from McLean proper, but it is the closest to McLean. I lean towards McLean-Scotts Run to give it a different identity.
Sand Box John wrote: Station #2: Tysons Center (though it best at covering all the bases)
Station #3: Pike Seven Plaza (Pike Seven Plaza is across the eastbound lanes of Leesburg Pike from the station}
Station #2: Tysons Center is probably the best of a set of not very good options.
Station #3: Odd choice to name a station after a strip mall shopping center that will be completely replaced in the development plans for Tysons. Part of the back end of the 2 shopping centers is to be replaced with a park, a new road is to go through the western end of those malls, and most of the shopping mall areas get turned into mixed use development. Problem is Central Tysons is too similar to Tysons Center. The station is close to the highest point in Fairfax county. Is there an name that could reflect that?
Sand Box John wrote: Station #4: Spring Hill Road
Station #5: Whiele Avenue - Reston
#4 - Spring Hill. Drop the "Road" part so the area eventually just becomes known as Spring Hill.
#5 - Wiehle Avenue. Keep it simple.
Sand Box John wrote: Station #6: Reston Parkway
Station #8: Innovation
Station #6: Reston Town Center. Got enough road names in the station names already.
Station #7: Herndon Monroe. One station with Reston in the name is enough.
Station #8: Coppermine. Distinctive and easy to remember. Better than Herndon-Dulles East which is awful.
  by Sand Box John

afiggatt"
Of the four Tysons stations, the most difficult to come up with a good name for are #1 and #3. If we stick Tysons in the names of all 4, it will be rather confusing. Maybe only for the 2 middle stations of the 4. #1 is not very accessible from McLean proper, but it is the closest to McLean. I lean towards McLean-Scotts Run to give it a different identity.

Drop the McLean and only go with Scotts Run

Station #2: Tysons Center is probably the best of a set of not very good options.

This is what I have been calling the station for more then three years.

Station #3: Odd choice to name a station after a strip mall shopping center that will be completely replaced in the development plans for Tysons. Part of the back end of the 2 shopping centers is to be replaced with a park, a new road is to go through the western end of those malls, and most of the shopping mall areas get turned into mixed use development. Problem is Central Tysons is too similar to Tysons Center. The station is close to the highest point in Fairfax county. Is there an name that could reflect that?

What's to say that the redeveloped property may end up retaining the name.

Station #4 - Spring Hill. Drop the "Road" part so the area eventually just becomes known as Spring Hill.

I understand your thinking, the same could apply to Pike Seven Plaza.

Station #5 - Wiehle Avenue. Keep it simple.
Station #6: Reston Town Center. Got enough road names in the station names already.
Station #7: Herndon Monroe. One station with Reston in the name is enough.
Station #8: Coppermine. Distinctive and easy to remember. Better than Herndon-Dulles East which is awful.

3 of the last 4 stations are adjacent to a primary north south roads that crosses access / toll road. I don't really like that idea of tacking Town Center on to Reston, I never liked the idea of tacking Town Center on to Largo.
  by Sand Box John

Results in on Silver line station name survey:

Planning Name: Tysons East
Board Recommendation: McLean
Other Names: Scotts Run-McLean
Scotts Run
Scotts Crossing
Colshire
Mclean

Planning Name: Tysons Central 123
Board Recommendation: Tysons Corner
Other Names: Tysons I & II
Tysons Center
Tysons Boulevard
Tysons Corner
Tysons Market
International Drive

Planning Name: Tysons Central 7
Board Receommendation: Tysons Central
Other Names: Greensboro Park
West Park
Gosnell

Planning Name: Tysons West
Board Recommendation: Spring Hill
Other Names: Spring Hill
Tysons-Spring Hill Road
Spring Hill Road

Planning Name: Wiehle Avenue
Board recommendation: Wiehle�Reston East
Other Names: Wiehle Avenue
Reston-Wiehle Avenue
Reston East-Wiehle

Planning Name: Reston Parkway
Board Recommendation: Reston Town Center
Other Names: Reston
Reston Center

Planning Name: Herndon-Monroe
Board Receommendation: Herndon
Other Names: Herndon-Monroe Steet
Herndon-Reston West
Herndon
Herndon-Worldgate

Planning Name: route 28
Board Recommendation: Innovation
Other Names: Herndon-Dulles East
Rock Hill-CIT
Rock Hill
Innovation avenue

Fairfax County Board of Supervisors 04 10 2012 Agenda (17.0 MB PDF file) Pages 89 > 100
  by The EGE

Those look pretty good. I'm glad to see there's been pushback on the original names.
  by Sand Box John

"The EGE"
Those look pretty good. I'm glad to see there's been pushback on the original names.

The 'original' names were the working names used during the planning process. At the beginning of the planning process Tysons Central 123 was called Tysons Central D, Tysons Central 7 was Called Tysons Central C. It was never intended that some or all of the names be the actual names given to the stations when the line opened. There is past precedent:

7th and D Streets SW = L'Enfant Plaza
7th and G Streets = Gallery Place
12th and G Streets = Metro Center
Ardmore = New Carrollton
Clarendon = Virgina Square
Deane Avenue = Deanwood
Federal Center = Suitland
Federal City Collage = Mount Vernon Square
Gallows Road = Dunn Lorring
Glebe Road = Ballston
Halpine Road = Twinbrook
M Street = Waterfront
Nelson Street = Clarendon
Nicholson Lane = White Flint
Nutley Street = Vienna
Rhodes Street = Court House
Riggs Road and B&O = Fort Totten
Route 7 = West Falls Church
Suitland Parkway = Naylor Road
Tenley Circle = Tenleytown
Wepons Plant = Navy Yard
Zoolagical Park = Woodley Park-Zoo
  by farecard

Sand Box John wrote:Results in on Silver line station name survey:

Board Recommendation: Tysons Corner
Board Receommendation: Tysons Central

Board recommendation: Wiehle�Reston East
Board Recommendation: Reston Town Center

sigh.... two tysons, easily confused.
Two Reston's, slightly less so.
  by JackRussell

Fairax county voted to recommend the following names of the new stations:

McLean (Tysons–McLean)
Tysons Corner (Tysons I&II)
Greensboro (Tysons Central)
Spring Hill (Tysons–Spring Hill Road)
Wiehle–Reston East (Reston–Wiehle Avenue)
Reston Town Center
Herndon (Herndon–Reston West)
Innovation Center (Herndon–Dulles East)

Ultimately the WMATA board has the final say-so.

http://www.fairfaxcounty.gov/chairman/p ... pecial.pdf

Fairfax county also reaffirmed support for phase II.
  by JDC

Glad I found this older thread because boy has this been annoying me:

My issue is the final naming of "Wiehle-Reston East" and the lack of "Avenue" after Wiehle (I would have preferred the proposed "Wiehle Avenue" as the station name without Reston East added on). Wiehle Avenue (as boring as that is) is an important aspect of this station (especially while it's the terminus) because it's a main thoroughfare in the area and likely contributed to the decision to locate the station at this site. In my mind, station names seem to follow 3 principles in that they are named after an area, a street, or an attraction/destination of some sort, depending on what is most important. But here "Avenue" got left off of Wiehle, and the word "Wiehle" itself means nothing and refers to nothing. The way it's written (and will be announced) sort of makes it seem as if Wiehle-Reston East are two places/areas served by the station (I secretly hope conductors just announce it as Wiehle Ave).

Isn't this the only station name in the system that is a) a mix of a road & place, and b) a reference to a road but without its road designation (i.e. street, Ave, etc)?