• Mystery Photo

• Discussion relating to the Delaware, Lackawanna & Western, the Erie, and the resulting 1960 merger creating the Erie Lackawanna. Visit the Erie Lackawanna Historical Society at http://www.erielackhs.org/.
Discussion relating to the Delaware, Lackawanna & Western, the Erie, and the resulting 1960 merger creating the Erie Lackawanna. Visit the Erie Lackawanna Historical Society at http://www.erielackhs.org/.

Moderator: blockline4180

by NJ Vike

Can someone please tell us where this is? We know it is NOT the hole-in-the-wall on the Sussex Branch.

http://dlw-sussexbranch.com/Temp/index.html

Thanks

Ken

by Tri-State Tom

bad link for me Ken....maybe you can double check it.

by Steve F45

works for me.
  by henry6

Ok. Don't know for sure. But the construction is Sussex Branch constructision, not Erie. My first impression was near Cranbury Lake, just north of there. If not, then north of Andover toward Newton.

But, also I would like to point out a mistake in the editorial content of the other pictures that the stage coach route went to Owego not Oswego. The route can actually be pretty well followed up 23 to 206, across the river and up RT6. After Hawley it paralles RT6 about a mile or so south, all the way to Waymart before coming back onto RT6. From Carbondale the route goes north and west to Hop Bottom and Brooklyn, up to Montrose, west to west of Lawton then north to Little Meadows, PA. From Little Meadows it becomes a rough, dirt road through state lands to the New York border near Waits and becomes the Montrose Turnpike into Owego. Fascinating ride even for railfans!

by NJ Vike

Henry,

We checked with some experts but even they aren't sure. They are suggesting Piedmont, NY. We know for sure that it is NOT the Sussex Branch.

Thanks for the reply. We will keep looking :-)
  by isaksenj

Might be the Graham Line over Route 207 in Campbell Hall, back in the day before everything was grown over.
  by NJ Vike

isaksenj wrote:Might be the Graham Line over Route 207 in Campbell Hall, back in the day before everything was grown over.
That might be.

Thanks for the reply.

by pdman

It looks like the stone underpass just north of Cranberry Lake and south of Andover, about a thousand feet south of the tunnel under the cut-off. Route 206 is in front of the picture. I go under that whenever I visit family in Andover, Cranberry Lake, and surrounding areas.

The road turns left right after the little tunnel, then becomes what is called Whitehall Road. Turn right about 3/4 mile onto Route 517 and you're under another Cut-Off tunnel.

by NJ Vike

pdman wrote:It looks like the stone underpass just north of Cranberry Lake and south of Andover, about a thousand feet south of the tunnel under the cut-off. Route 206 is in front of the picture. I go under that whenever I visit family in Andover, Cranberry Lake, and surrounding areas.

The road turns left right after the little tunnel, then becomes what is called Whitehall Road. Turn right about 3/4 mile onto Route 517 and you're under another Cut-Off tunnel.
That's the "hole-in-the-wall" on the Sussex Branch. We have determined that this isn't the location. Oh, well. We are still hopeful. Some are suggesting in the Piermont area of NY.

Thanks for the reply.

by pdman

Yeah, I agree. The hole-in-wall is more vertical and narrower than the picture. I left some paint from the side of my father's truck on the north wall of hole-in-the-wall and paid for it with free lawn mowings for an entire summer. Glad to say that was my only driving incident ever.

by wantsrail

This could only be the Bridge over Sickeltown Road, between Blauvelt and Nanuet, if it is on the Piermont Branch. It is definately not on the Northern.

It would be looking south a short distance west after the tracks have crossed the Hackensack River.

My Doubts?

The road under the bridge seems a little too wide. It carries only one lane

Regular passenger service stopped before 1938.

I doubt that the Erie had Diesel Locos for pass service that early.

It could be a railfan trip or a troop train to Camp Shanks during The War. On the other hand I can make out a ERIE diamond on the side of the Loco.

Someone near there should print the photo and go and take a look. The bridge in the photo has enough detail for identification. The landscape however is much changed.

I can make out a Erie diamond on the Loco.

by RichM

I'm sort of agreeing with Albert... there are several culverts between Blauvelt and Spring Valley that mirror this... unfortunately it's hard to place as new growth trees or development confuses this... but it might even be NY/NJ north of Nanuet...
  by henry6

The pic is post merger! Boonton Line coaches with a GEEP that has a diamond (whether it is the ERIE diamond or the EL diamond cannot be determined). I lean heavily on the Sussex Branch as there were severa, two car trains hauled by single GEEP and one or two runs (otherwise the trains had milk and express and needed a TM). And it is eastbound (short hood forward) and it is either early spring or mid autumn (few leaves on the trees) with an othrewise barren landscape and sky, probably even a weekend (no combine, no mail, no milk). Not Old Road.

by snavely

Looks like winter to me; snow on the ground and on the branches....Post merger, were there still any milk/mail/express cars in use?
  by henry6

The more I look around the more I tend toward Whitehall. Went through all 3 of Taber's books plus Lowenthal's and King's.