• MTA Metro-North Railroad Hiring Process

• General discussion about working in the railroad industry. Industry employers are welcome to post openings here.
General discussion about working in the railroad industry. Industry employers are welcome to post openings here.

Moderator: thebigc

by Steamboat Willie

The railroad received over 17,000 applications when the posting was open for just a few days. Look for another testing session in the summer. Five more classes of 14 slated for this year with almost the same for 2016.
  by belvin555

Does anyone have any idea how many locomotive enginneer classes are scheduled for this year ?
  by Steamboat Willie

Three classes with one slated to hire out in March.
  by dunee88

Hey guys,

I finally got my official offer of employment with MNR and i just wanted to share my experience.

My process was test, background (upon passing test), interview, agility test, conditional offer, medical exam, official letter. It took 1yr 4 months

The agility test is fairly easy if you aren't a couch potato. It reminded me of carrying my two kids up the stairs to the third floor and carrying a load of groceries from the car while fumbling through a snow covered ground. Simple stuff. Please note that your blood pressure must be at or below 140/80 i believe and if it is higher they will not perform the exam. They do allow you to calm down (in a room by yourself relaxing, listening to music for half hour intervals.) If it doesn't go down after about 2 hours you must go to your doctor and reschedule for either a week or two later. The staff is extremely nice and are on your side as they encouraged everyone taking the exams.

Directly after the agility test i was put on the phone with HR and received a conditional offer. I noticed that before the conditional offer, all documents i signed said "applicant" . After the conditional offer the documents said "employee". That felt good :-D

Directly after that was the medical exam. height, weight, Blood pressure, lung efficiency test, ekg, eye test, hearing test, urine test. Note that the requirements to pass for each exam is different based on the position you applied for. I believe the chart showed that conductors and engineers had the most strict requirements.

After that I met with the doc who told me it all looks good. Once the urine test comes back negative the results are sent to HR

And that was it. Im happy with MTA. I'm even happier its MNR . With two little ones the benefits are important to me.

Feels good to me in :-D
  by Steamboat Willie

Supposedly, the entrance exam for conductor will commence sometime in April. They will be pulling from the recent posting back in Jan 2015 for invites.
  by republic

Out of an average class of 14, how many conductors typically make it through the program?
  by Paolo5286

republic wrote:Out of an average class of 14, how many conductors typically make it through the program?
Any idea when the emails will begin going out for the conductor exam?
  by dunee88

Out of 14, 8 or 9 make it through. There is a class today with another in two weeks and another in a month
  by RearOfSignal

republic wrote:Out of an average class of 14, how many conductors typically make it through the program?
Recently, I would say about 10-12.
  by dunee88

dunee88 wrote:Hey guys,

I finally got my official offer of employment with MNR and i just wanted to share my experience.

My process was test, background (upon passing test), interview, agility test, conditional offer, medical exam, official letter. It took 1yr 4 months

The agility test is fairly easy if you aren't a couch potato. It reminded me of carrying my two kids up the stairs to the third floor and carrying a load of groceries from the car while fumbling through a snow covered ground. Simple stuff. Please note that your blood pressure must be at or below 140/80 i believe and if it is higher they will not perform the exam. They do allow you to calm down (in a room by yourself relaxing, listening to music for half hour intervals.) If it doesn't go down after about 2 hours you must go to your doctor and reschedule for either a week or two later. The staff is extremely nice and are on your side as they encouraged everyone taking the exams.

Directly after the agility test i was put on the phone with HR and received a conditional offer. I noticed that before the conditional offer, all documents i signed said "applicant" . After the conditional offer the documents said "employee". That felt good :-D

Directly after that was the medical exam. height, weight, Blood pressure, lung efficiency test, ekg, eye test, hearing test, urine test. Note that the requirements to pass for each exam is different based on the position you applied for. I believe the chart showed that conductors and engineers had the most strict requirements.

After that I met with the doc who told me it all looks good. Once the urine test comes back negative the results are sent to HR

And that was it. Im happy with MTA. I'm even happier its MNR . With two little ones the benefits are important to me.

Feels good to me in :-D
What need to add that guys off my exam were hired within a couple months.
  by Dos522

Hello everyone,
I wanted to know if anyone has received anything regarding the Conductor Trainee posting in January?

I am currently an Assistant Conductor with LIRR and I'm looking to switch over to MNRR because I live in CT. My car is racking up the miles driving to the West Side Yard everyday. I was hoping my railroad experience would make me a desirable candidate and therefore I was expecting to hear something fairly quickly. Alas, here I sit...patiently.

Take care all.
  by Rayelectric721

Wanted to share my experience

-took test for M of E Railcar Electrician on May 12
-found out May 14 I passed
-may 14 they started my background check
-July 15 called for interview
-notified on July 15 my medical/physical agility test was scheduled for July 21
-passed my agility test and was made a conditional offer on the spot from human resources
-July 24 was called and offered the job,I start August 5

lol one of the fastest processes I went through but there's a need for electricians right now so if you see an add online,apply!apply apply apply...I'm 30 years old and I spent 7 years with my Union(ibew local 25). I'm a journeyman so I start out at 80% the top rate which I believe is $34...my progression is 80-85-100 which is really nice
  by Dmac

Does anyone know the process of hiring Signal Trainees? How long is it before they initially contact you after doing the Internet application? What's the next step. Is there any classes scheduled in the near future?
  by Shelshel490

To dune88 ....how long did it take for you to get your final offer from MNR