• MSTS and Vista 64

• General discussion of computer gaming and railroad simulations. Topics include MS Train Simulator (MSTS), Auran Trainz, Railroad Tycoon, Railroad Dispatcher and more...
General discussion of computer gaming and railroad simulations. Topics include MS Train Simulator (MSTS), Auran Trainz, Railroad Tycoon, Railroad Dispatcher and more...

Moderators: LIRRMEDFORD, 8th Notch

by L'mont

I just upgraded to a new computer with Vista and I'm having a difficult time installing add-ons from Train-Sim, ect, ect. Tough from Train Artisan as well. What's my problem.

Thanks!
  by keeper1616

Some of the installers for add-ons have hard coded C:\Program Files\.... that worked in Windows 98-XP. Windows Vista Uses C:\Program Data\. my solution was to manually install them onto an XP computer, figure out what files changed and copy them over. It may also be possible to reinstall your Train Simulator to C:\Program Files\... and see if that works.
  by alewifebp

64 bit Windows uses c:\Program Files (x86) for 32-bit applications. It does not use ProgramData. If some of these add-ons are hard coded, you should try to install it to c:\Program Files. Also, security wise, it is generally a no-no to use the Program Files directory for settings, which I suspect is occurring here. If you right-click the MSTS icon and go to Properties, you can set on the Compatibility tab to emulate Windows XP, and most importantly, to run as Administrator.