Discussion relating to the past and present operations of the NYC Subway, PATH, and Staten Island Railway (SIRT).

Moderator: GirlOnTheTrain

by rail10

How long does it take to become a motorman on the nyc subway while training?
  by MNRR PA OPERATOR

I need corrections of course, cause i havent really hung out with a Motorman, and thats a shame cause i got a uncle on the faithful ROMEO (R) line. Anyways If it hasnt changed since 2000, after speaking with a Motorinstructor, its three and a half months for A division which is IRT numbered lines, and five and a half months for B division which is BMT/IND lettered trains except times square shuttle which is A division due to equipment coming from the 3 line.

IF u took the exam in 2003, list was just established as of october 4th. two more classes from within, and scheduled to call from the outside within 2007 only. Maybe 3-4 classes max. the list expires in 2010, so expect another test eventually

by Pelham

I don't know how any one can work the Romeo? Well good news for all you how took the off the street Train Operator Exam the first class starts in April.
MNRR is on point when it come to training after that you can expext 2 to 4 Years Extra Board in the Division of your Choice. A Div Number Lines most jobs out of the BX and B Div Letter Lines jobs in the BX, Manhattan, BKYN and QNS.
Just to introduce myself I am a NYCT Train Operator.

by L'mont

Why is training longer on the lettered lines?

by Pelham

The Training is longer on the Letter Lines B Div because you cover more Routes and more Equipment. Also you have to train in more Yards In B Div.

by jgbond007

I did take the Motorman (Train Operator) exam back in 2003 and my list number is 537 (98.7 score). Do you think I have a chance of being called this year for one of the OC classes.

Thanks again

by Pelham

You got a VERY GOOD chance. The class in April will be 80 new T/O's ALL from the O/C List. They normally call about 150 to 200 for a class that size. NYCT is expecting a Mass retirement this year. In Sudivsion B alone 80 to 100 T/O has retired in 2006. We had about 15 Since January that I know of so its looking good. I also be hearing our Control center begging any T/O that wants to work a Late Clear or Day Off call the Crew Office Immediately.

by modorney

Is there a study guide for the motorman test?

And do you still have that unusual test with all the circles and squares, some white, some black?

cheers,
Mike O

by Pelham

The last Train Operator Exam was reading comp. You can buy a T/O Exam book at Barnes and Nobles or the Civil service book store on Worth St in Downtown Manhattan.
The term Motorman is dying they don't train you to be a Motorman they train you to just be a Train Operator. Anything happens on the train we call for the Road Car Inspector and Train Service Supervisor unless its simple troubleshooting. Also Motorman use to have to spend time in the Yard before going to the road now your first day on your own is on the road.

by jgbond007

Good news, I just received a letter today from MTA NYC transit for the position of Train Operator. I have to report to 180 Livingston Street on 4/27
  by tino

Hi, I took the test in 03 and was just contacted. I'm wondering what the hours of a train operator are like. (5 days a week, 8 hour days?) Is there a lot of opportunities for overtime? Is the schedule flexible? Is it hard to advance after you are on the job. Is the hourly wage they stated the same throughout or does it peak after 5 years? I'm currently a city worker and I'm debating whether to switch over to the MTA. Any help would be appreciated.

by nmazura

What was your score??? and list# I scored 97 #830 just wondering if ill be called. Go into the Job section and your questions will be answered. Good Luck!!!!

by darioloz

This is the only forum I was able to get in the web. I think I am in a more complicated situation. I am currently making 45K as entry level engineer at a small company. The work environment is great but I am thinking what if this is just my way to get into the MTA… It is a very tempting offer. I took this test when I was in my second year of college and it took a little while for them to respond. Now the question is … can you advance from being a TO? The money and the benefits are pretty good but how fast can you climb up the ladder if you hold a bachelor’s degree. What are the chances of moving up and how long do you need to wait before this happens?

These decisions are so hard to make. Any advice would be greatly appreciated from anyone out there, Thanks,

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I scored 97. By the way, for what the letter I received said, workinf=g 40hrs/week 52 weeks a year, the salary is very close to 55K as a train operator. Well, benefits and pension are both paid by the company I work for at the moment. My concern is that how difficult it is for you to get promoted, either by taking other exams or getting a more technical position in the mta.
Last edited by darioloz on Sun Sep 09, 2007 10:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

by nmazura

If you keep going down there is an employment section with some other info. which will be helpful.
What did you score and whats you list #?
I would take the job in a heartbeat. If your making 45k you will walk into the mta at about 50K. Do you currently have a pension plan and do u you pay for health benefits where your at? In the begginning you ll have to put up withe the shitty schedule, but its got to get better. People I know tell me they love the job and there seems to be very little turnover.

by darioloz

nmazura wrote:If you keep going down there is an employment section with some other info. which will be helpful.
What did you score and whats you list #?
I would take the job in a heartbeat.-----

little turnover.

What info are you referring to? I did not see it ... thanks for the advice again