Discussion relating to the operations of MTA MetroNorth Railroad including west of Hudson operations and discussion of CtDOT sponsored rail operations such as Shore Line East and the Springfield to New Haven Hartford Line

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, nomis, FL9AC, Jeff Smith

by DutchRailnut

Cool write a huge check to MNCR at 347 madison Ave.
Maybe you can save them, MNCR more than covered their part of the matter by donating or selling them cheap to museum and tourist organisations.
MNCR has no obligation , either financialy , or morally to donate any more units.
in fact MNCR has an obligation to the Taxpayers of NY state to recover the most they can , when disposing of anything.

by Otto Vondrak

NJTRailfan- How many do you want to save (besides the ones already saved in museums or operating for other carriers)? Tell us your plan, maybe we can help you out.

-otto-

by NJTRailfan

I'm hoping smaller railroaqds like the M&E or rail museums like the Hisitric Railroad of in NJ can snatch up a set and help restore them along with people who own cars and engines and could add an FL-9 into their collection.

by Otto Vondrak

This may be a reading comprehension problem here....

- Morristown & Erie ALREADY purchased six (6) FL9's from Amtrak and already has used them on several charters. Six. Not a bad fleet.

- Several other FL9's are ALREADY in railroad museums around New England, some operating, some static displays. Two at Danbury Railway Museum, one at The Naugatuck Railroad, one at the Connecticut Eastern Railroad Museum. This is most appropriate, since these engines were built only for the New Haven and roamed most of New England during their careers. That's three NH paint and one in NYC paint (even though NYC never had any), not bad.

- Several others are being recycled into usable locomotives for operations in upstate New York, like the Adirondack and the Cooperstown & Charlotte Valley. I think that's another four (I think an F-10 is in there somewhere).

- The remaining F's are either still hauling passengers for Metro-North, or have been mothballed awaiting disposition. Ok, can't save 'em all. But maybe one or two more are destined for further operation elsewhere. Who knows.

- Since FL9's have nothing to do with the history of railroading in New Jersey, I doubt they would become of any museum collection down there. We'll keep the FL9's, and you can have back all the GG-1's that have migrated into New York State (Cooperstown has two, Syracuse has one). And you can have the DLW MU's too (Two in Croton and, well, some others).

Please let us know the rest of your plan.

-otto-
Last edited by Otto Vondrak on Mon Feb 07, 2005 10:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

by Noel Weaver

David Telesha wrote:I think its a well known fact there are quite a few already preserved.

2 @ DRM

3 @ Naugy

1 @ CERM

Etc.

It might be wonderful to save them all but its not going to happen. The railroads that own them are businesses - they operate as such. We should be glad there are 6 operational examples in museum, plus those at M&E and those still operating for CDOT. I'll be sad to see them go, but it won't be all of them.

Its just too bad no PA-1's or DL-109's - not to mention ANY New Haven steam or electrics were saved as the FL-9's have been.
I totally agree with this one, enough already. You want one, you buy one.
It is as simple as that.
I would like to see one or two of the F-10's preserved, they are older but
likely a far better diesel electric locomotive especially for a tourist railroad, again not given away, just preserved.
Noel Weaver