• More NJT communication issues

• Discussion related to New Jersey Transit rail and light rail operations.
Discussion related to New Jersey Transit rail and light rail operations.

Moderators: lensovet, Kaback9, nick11a

by duey

So, I get to Hoboken this morning and find a couple of hudred folks at the light rail station. No light rail. No announcements. No staff redirecting riders. Nothing.

So I take the highly overcrowded PATH to Exchange Place and what do I see but a bunch of fire engines, police and a disabled light rail train.

Finally, just a few minutes ago (about 40 minutes after the problem begins), NJT's website lists the following:

"HBLR delayed 15 min. near Marin Blvd, mechanical."

Does NJT ever make an effort to get accurate and timely information out when it comes to dealing with delays?!?!

Will post on the HBLR board as well.

by andy

A week ago, train 1639 was stopped for 20 minutes at Anderson Street due to fire department vehicles on the tracks (this is at 7:23pm). NJTransit posted notice on their website at 8:00pm (at which point, the train was 15 minutes from final stop).

What was surprising, however, was the speed that we were able to make up time. From Anderson Street to Nanuet, NY is supposed to take 35 minutes. I think of the 20 minute delay, we made 10 minutes up on a full local train (25 minute ride). Makes me wonder how much "buffer" time they put in the schedule.

by F40

Speaking of "buffer" times, allotting 14 minutes from SEC to NYP I think is going overboard. Furthermore, if a train gets into Penn late according to the heavily padded schedules bugs me more.

by JLo

Think that's bad, how about 18 minutes between Point Pleasant Beach and Bay Head Jct., a distance of 1 mile and not exactly a choke point like the North River Tunnels? It's called padding or "Shirley Time" after a former NJT director. NJT management receives bonuses for being on time, so they like to protect their slush fund by padding the schedules.

by Ken W2KB

And the 18 is 4 minutes northbound. :P