• Monmouth Park spur

• Discussion related to New Jersey Transit rail and light rail operations.
Discussion related to New Jersey Transit rail and light rail operations.

Moderators: lensovet, Kaback9, nick11a

by Lackawanna484

How many tracks are still active in the Monmouth Park spur? I believe Pennsy used four tracks inside the compound, and one or two storage tracks outside the compound back in the 1960s.

When I passed by last winter it looked like just one track inside the compound, and the outer area was now part of the parking lot.

It would make a nice location for a Park-Ride facility...

by nick11a

As far as I have seen, it is a single track- but I have never actually gone down the physical spur on the Pony nor have I ever actually been to the Racepark. One track is all they need for the Pony Express anyway.

by Tri-State Tom

As of about 7-8 years ago there were 2 stub-end tracks, each I think capable of hosting 7-8 Comets plus engines, ending at the park entrance.

by Lackawanna484

Tri-State Tom wrote:As of about 7-8 years ago there were 2 stub-end tracks, each I think capable of hosting 7-8 Comets plus engines, ending at the park entrance.
---------------------

Thanks to all.

Back in the 1960s, I believe they had the layout set up for four stub tracks, with two low center platforms inside the fence. There were at least two tracks outside the fence, on the far side of the road, to accomodate the engine moves and any very busy times.

The diesels would pull in, nose first. Discharge passengers, then push back, run the diesels around the train, and push back in. With luck, the crew would get a few bets in after the work was done.

One of the old-timers on the old board mentioned that Pony Express jobs were in demand, especially the diesel piece. Back in those days, the train originated at NYP under electric wires, and changed to diesel at South Amboy. The job involved a relatively short run, lots of rest, and a short run back to SA.

by Ken W2KB

I rode the train last summer. One track is left and it was shortened by several carlengths I would estimate. It looked like it once went all the way to the grandstand but now ends at a closer to the mainline gate. It did appear that a second track was removed some years ago and there was some scant evidence that there were once more than 2. Probably 4 as stated. I don't recall seeing any yard tracks, just where switches were once. The train backed across the road after discharging passengers and returned shortly after the last race.

by njt4172

Ken,

At one time 2 tracks went all the way up to the Grandstand! I would say this occured until 1993 or 94. I remember taking a Pony Express back in 1988 and it had an F-40 and 6 rebuilt comet I's that went all the way up to the building....When Monmouth Park put the picnic area in they shortened the main grandstand entrance to where it is now... I am pretty sure Monmouth Park requested that the tracks be torn out as well.......

Steve

by NY&LB

At one time thee was even a "Y" off the spur, I have photos from the days when 4 trains ran, usually on busy days like the 4th of July, usually 3 PRR trains and 1 CNJ train. I have been told by some old timers, that trains even ran from Philadelphia!

by Ken W2KB

I can well imagine that there would be serveral trains. Likely also there were private cars for major races from time to time.

by Lackawanna484

NY&LB wrote:At one time thee was even a "Y" off the spur, I have photos from the days when 4 trains ran, usually on busy days like the 4th of July, usually 3 PRR trains and 1 CNJ train. I have been told by some old timers, that trains even ran from Philadelphia!
----------------------------

Trains definitely ran from Philadelphia to Monmouth Park. There were pictures (maybe in Gallo's NY&LB). Back then, there were several cross-state links to Manasquan, Sea Girt, LBI, Toms River, etc as well as via Red Bank.

Paul

by OCtrainguy

AFter reading the information on this thread, I knew there were some photos from the " The Unique New York & Long Branch" book I have. There are two photos taken in the late 1940s. One photo shows four tracks and has a PRR steam engine with about eight coaches (photo goes into the seam of the book) and two CNJ trains, A-B Baldwins, one with nine coaches and one with with ten coaches. The other photo shows a PRR and CNJ train sitting at he buffers with emphasis on the respective railroads signs for their "special" train.

It would be interesting too compare a now and then photo! Just make sure you are on the park property.
:wink:

by Ken W2KB

I took some photos last year. If I can find and scan a couple, I'll do so. Sad though, compared with what was.