• Monday Singletrack with a difference...

• Discussion related to DC area passenger rail services from Northern Virginia to Baltimore, MD. Includes Light Rail and Baltimore Subway.
Discussion related to DC area passenger rail services from Northern Virginia to Baltimore, MD. Includes Light Rail and Baltimore Subway.

Moderators: mtuandrew, therock, Robert Paniagua

by farecard

So I went FarN toward Wheaton Monday at ~~2340.

We got to Jud Sq and crossed to TK 2. We stayed there until past CUA.

Yawn, that happens all the time.

BUT, it looked as if every station we passed had a train parked in the station on TK 1. Most were dark, but some were lit. And at RI a Glenmont train pulled out from TK 1 side as we approached. But when we got to the next station, a dark train was parked there. So did the other cross in front of us, or did we have an encounter with http://www.dm.unibo.it/bologna2000/mosquera.html?

[I don't have the track map on hand so I don't know where every crossover is. There may not be one between RI & CUA...]
  by SchuminWeb

Yep! That's the one. I believe they used that regularly in the early days to turn trains before the line opened to Silver Spring...

Otherwise, that's really weird re: dark trains on the opposite side of the platforms. Wonder what they were doing...
  by Sand Box John

"SchuminWeb"
Yep! That's the one. I believe they used that regularly in the early days to turn trains before the line opened to Silver Spring...

That is correct. It was used to relay trains when Rhode Island Avenue was the east terminal of the Red line. It ceased being used as a regular relay interlocking when train began operating to Silver Spring two weeks prior to the opening of the extension on 02 06 1978.
  by Sand Box John

Don’t recall the exact location, but based of the two bing.com birds eye view shots linked below, it looks like the bumpers were in the area of Hamlin Street.

This east view shows the change in the color of the concrete retaining wall just north of Hamlin Street.

This south view shows what looks like the abandoned B1 X (end of track) signal foundation.

As I recall the B2 X signal was mounted on the retaining wall. Remnants of the B2 X signal mounting bolt holes should still be visible on the retaining wall. The face of the bumper was/is typically abreast of the X signal.