• Modeling questions

• All about the Arcade & Attica Railroad
All about the Arcade & Attica Railroad

Moderator: Benjamin Maggi

by steamfan6325

looks like 5 tons, 6,000 gal to me. Thanks.
  by Mountcastle

Can anyone here tell me precisely what type of gondola I should be looking for to authentically model the Arcade & Attica's 300? And is it available in HO from anyone? The USRA drop bottom composite looks similar but not 100%.
  by Mountcastle

Also...can anyone point me to a link to (or post or send me) any images of the interior of No. 14's cab (prior to her dereliction, that is)? I want to super detail the cab of my model and I'd like to get it as close as possible.

Any help on this or the gondola question would be much appreciated.
  by steamfan6325

Honey, I shrunk the display!
  by Mountcastle

Well I'll be gobsmacked; someone else has a 400 series boxcar in HO. And where did you find that caboose? Did you kitbash it?

It seems a few of us have some really decent models of the A&A's various equipment. I wonder if the railroad would be interested in putting on a temporary display of our creations in the depot this season. I think alot of people would enjoy seeing what a number of us have done.
  by steamfan6325

The caboose was "kitbashed" from a roundhouse "drover's caboose".
ImageImage
ImageImage
I basically had to remove the roof and turn it so that the cupola was over the correct end of the caboose, block off a few extra windows, and repaint it. It's not exact but when I saw a caboose with a baggage door at the hobby shop I knew I had to get it. The boxcar is just an accurail 40 footer with the ends sanded flat.
  by Benjamin Maggi

Very nice work. The caboose is pretty good I would say. I am hoping that they get the other A&A caboose to Arcade by this summer so that I can measure it and build a model of it in 1:29 scale. That is exciting to me!
  by Otto Vondrak

steamfan6325 wrote:Honey, I shrunk the display!
Great work! How'd you like to write up what you did and present it as a feature?

http://railroad.net/articles/modelrailr ... 44tonners/

-otto-
  by BSOR Patarak

Wow, that does look good. I always liked the side door cabooses. I never looked to see if there was one in HO scale. Cool.
  by steamfan6325

Thanks to all for the compliments. All I need is decals for the boxcar and caboose- Pat, do you happen to have a side view of the boxcar? I've got a few pics of it but I can't read the "fine print".
  by BSOR Patarak

Not a close up of the letters, I think my pictures were taken before we applied them. I do have the text as to what it says though....I can also snap a picture the next time I am in Arcade.

CAPY 110000
LD LMT 127200
LT WT 49800 BS 11-67

EX W 10 - 0 H 11 - 11
EW 8 11 H 12 - 11
IL 40 - 6 IW 8 - 7
IH 8 - 7
CU FT 3056

BLT 1927

ASSIGNED CAR
WHEN EMPTY RETURN VIA
REVERSE ROUTING
TO RESIDORF BROS.
N. JAVA, NY VIA-ARA

The side letters are black and the end ARA 411 is in white (and were on the original car).
  by steamfan6325

BSOR Patarak wrote:I do have the text as to what it says though
Thanks. I think this info and the pics I have should be enough.
  by Aa3rt

steamfan6325 wrote:The caboose was "kitbashed" from a roundhouse "drover's caboose". I basically had to remove the roof and turn it so that the cupola was over the correct end of the caboose, block off a few extra windows, and repaint it. It's not exact but when I saw a caboose with a baggage door at the hobby shop I knew I had to get it. The boxcar is just an accurail 40 footer with the ends sanded flat.
steamfan6325-Very nice job on the caboose! (Don't know why I don't venture into the A&A forum more often.) I'm particularly interested in caboose #303 as she began life on the Susquehanna & New York (running between Towanda & Williamsport, PA) as their #15. I'd wanted to model this car as I have 2 HO scale 2-8-0's lettered for the S&NY and needed a caboose for my "someday" layout. Thanks for the inspiration!
  by steamfan6325

Well I wanted to see if I could scratchbuild a car in O-gauge and this is the result.
I'm sure you can tell where I got the inspiration for the project. :wink: