Discussion relating to the operations of MTA MetroNorth Railroad including west of Hudson operations and discussion of CtDOT sponsored rail operations such as Shore Line East and the Springfield to New Haven Hartford Line

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, nomis, FL9AC, Jeff Smith

by railtrailbiker

For 23 years, Metro-North has held disaster drills to prepare emergency workers to respond in case of a train wreck. Yesterday's drill in North White Plains, though, seemed especially important after the Jan. 25 train accident in Los Angeles that killed 11 people.

In the Los Angeles accident, a man parked his car on the railroad tracks, triggering a train collision and a massive emergency response. In yesterday's simulated wreck, a Metro-North train also had supposedly crashed into a car parked on the tracks.

"It's a learning experience for all of us on how to get through all of this," said George Walker, Metro-North vice president of operations. "The train accident in L.A. reinforced the need to get this done properly."

More than 20 local agencies participated in the drill, which was designed to ensure that emergency services are well-coordinated in case of a real tragedy. Seven fire departments, six police departments and six emergency medical teams responded to the scene. Emergency workers practiced safety precautions, including how to avoid the electrified third rail and how to enter the train cars in a cautious, quick manner.

Aboard the trains, 120 mock victims received emergency directions from police and fire officials, who combed the cars, assessing injuries. They evacuated the most seriously injured passengers first, after securing them on backboards and passing them through emergency doors.

Altogether, 18 passengers with mock injuries were taken by ambulance to White Plains Hospital Center, Westchester County Medical Center and Phelps Memorial Hospital Center, where hospital officials had set up triage stations.
http://www.thejournalnews.com/apps/pbcs ... 00314/1018

by Lackawanna484

That sounds like a good exercise for everybody involved.

Can the scene commander can communicate on MetroNorth's channels in the emergency itself, and vice versa? That's usually a bottleneck in multi-agency responses

by Terminal Proceed

No - Fire Department personnel can not communicate directly with the RTC. They must go thorugh Westchester County Fire Control in Valhalla or their own dispatcher, if they have one.

However, unofficially, there are plenty of mnrr employees that are volunteer firemen and carry their radios when on on a fire call on or adjacent to railroad property. I have heard them call the RTC in a few instances to report that they were working on a trash fire on a platform for instance.

by roee

Terminal Proceed wrote:No - Fire Department personnel can not communicate directly with the RTC. They must go thorugh Westchester County Fire Control in Valhalla or their own dispatcher, if they have one.

However, unofficially, there are plenty of mnrr employees that are volunteer firemen and carry their radios when on on a fire call on or adjacent to railroad property. I have heard them call the RTC in a few instances to report that they were working on a trash fire on a platform for instance.

That is weird that they can't call RTC directly. Here in San Diego the San Diego County Sheriff can talk to the Dispatcher directly, and so can the CHP apparently (as I heard it on Friday). And this is on the road channel.

by dc700

roee wrote:
Terminal Proceed wrote:No - Fire Department personnel can not communicate directly with the RTC. They must go thorugh Westchester County Fire Control in Valhalla or their own dispatcher, if they have one.

That is weird that they can't call RTC directly. Here in San Diego the San Diego County Sheriff can talk to the Dispatcher directly, and so can the CHP apparently (as I heard it on Friday). And this is on the road channel.
Welcome to the very complex world of westchester county Local PD / FD
County PD. Volunteer FD / professional FD ....... State level emegency
managment. Radio protocol. In NY proper ( Mnahattan , Bronx ...)
it's much tighter.

by NJD8598

Yeah emergency radio systems, and dispatching etc. are all extremely complicated. With the state of the radio system we use at home, we're lucky we can talk to each other in town...I don't think I'll still be in the fire service the day when we can talk to train dispatchers, bus dispatchers, or even other towns easily. Right now if we have an incident near the tracks, or on the tracks that doesnt immediatly involve a train, we'll have our dispatcher contact the railroad if a speed restriction needs to be put up for a certain area, or if we need power cut etc. Usually MTA police, and Metro North supervisors would show up at a scene shortly after that call is made.

by Nester

dc700 wrote:Welcome to the very complex world of westchester county Local PD / FD
County PD. Volunteer FD / professional FD ....... State level emegency
managment. Radio protocol. In NY proper ( Mnahattan , Bronx ...)
it's much tighter.
Just about every county outside of NYC has this problem. BTW, don't forget that their are still volly units in NYC (e.g. Beach Channel, Gerristen Beach, Edgewater Park)

Does MN drill for other outages/accidents? Or is it just fire and (maybe) chemicals?

Nester

P.S. Please please please tell me that you left of the "C" in "NY proper". NYC, depending on who you talk to, is as improper as the Empire State gets :-D