• MNGRR News

• Discussion relating to the pre-1983 B&M and MEC railroads. For current operations, please see the Pan Am Railways Forum.
Discussion relating to the pre-1983 B&M and MEC railroads. For current operations, please see the Pan Am Railways Forum.

Moderator: MEC407

by MEC407

(This news is relevant because part of the ROW in question was operated by the Portland Terminal Co., a MEC-BM subsidiary.)

Portland: Council may select panel to study rail line to Hadlock

PORTLAND — The City Council is expected to appoint an advisory committee Wednesday night to guide a feasibility study of a proposal to extend the Maine Narrow Gauge Railroad from the Eastern Promenade, through Bayside, to Hadlock Field.

The panel will include representatives of the railroad's board of directors, Bayside and Parkside neighborhood associations, Friends of Deering Oaks, Friends of the Ballpark, as well as several city and state officials.

Proponents of the idea want to access an existing rail easement and provide light-rail service that would skirt the downtown peninsula, from the eastern waterfront to the Portland Sea Dogs baseball stadium on Park Avenue.
  by wolfmom69

Be interested to see which,if either,"pipedream project" gets done! This one,or "extending the Lowell National Historic Park",to other parts of Lowell as "mass transit". I'd bet on Lowell,with the way Mass. politicians can "pork barrel" projects. The Bayside yuppification is tops on Portland's priority list,and this,combimed with Mr. Spragues less than cordial relationship,with Portland's city leaders(not),has me putting my $$$ on Lowell. Bud

by NellsChoo

Seems there is interest in restoring rail related history in some places, and downright anti-rail in others these days. As for Portland, the ride is too short as it is! I say fix that big bridge and lets get over the water!!!

Oooops, sorry. A MA resident being optimistic. What was I thinking!

by MEC407

NellsChoo wrote:I say fix that big bridge and lets get over the water!!!
I would love to see that happen. I don't know if it ever will... but MAN that would be cool. Run a third rail down the middle of the SLR track from Portland to Yarmouth. We'd be able to run through the woods and give people a taste of what Maine narrow gauge railroading really was like back in the day. That might even appeal to some of the Edaville fans (a.k.a. MNGRR haters).

by Noel Weaver

MEC407 wrote:
NellsChoo wrote:I say fix that big bridge and lets get over the water!!!
I would love to see that happen. I don't know if it ever will... but MAN that would be cool. Run a third rail down the middle of the SLR track from Portland to Yarmouth. We'd be able to run through the woods and give people a taste of what Maine narrow gauge railroading really was like back in the day. That might even appeal to some of the Edaville fans (a.k.a. MNGRR haters).
This makes absolutely NO SENSE. The SLA would not allow for it and the FEDS would not allow for it either.
So far as I know, the narrow gauge stuff does not even have air brakes
and the two foot equipment would not fare as well in the event of a grade
crossing mishap either.
I can't imagine any major railroad or regional or small common carrier
either for that matter allowing an extra rail for a narrow gauge train to
use their right of way.
I do not know that much about the Maine Narrow Gauge in Portland but I
think a longer ride can easily becme more than they can handle. Longer
rider is not necessarily a better ride.
Noel Weaver

by MEC407

Noel Weaver wrote:This makes absolutely NO SENSE.
Of course it doesn't make sense; fantasies rarely do. Have a little imagination! It's OK to dream once in a while! :-D

by Noel Weaver

MEC407 wrote:
Noel Weaver wrote:This makes absolutely NO SENSE.
Of course it doesn't make sense; fantasies rarely do. Have a little imagination! It's OK to dream once in a while! :-D
OK!!!!! :-D :-D :-D :-D

Noel Weaver