Discussion relating to the operations of MTA MetroNorth Railroad including west of Hudson operations and discussion of CtDOT sponsored rail operations such as Shore Line East and the Springfield to New Haven Hartford Line

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, nomis, FL9AC, Jeff Smith

by MACTRAXX

Guys: I would like to know what the policy is on MNCR for stations without either a ticket office or TVM. Does MNCR charge the full on-board penalty for ALL on-board fares REGARDLESS of the availability of a ticket office or machine? In comparison,the LIRR has what is called EXEMPT stations without either a office or TVM. They are: Shea Stadium-zone 1(A ticket office is located here for special events); Pinelawn-zone 9; Bellport,Speonk and Yaphank-zone 12; Riverhead,Mattituck,Southold,Greenport,Bridgehampton,Amagansett and Montauk in zone 14. at LIRR EXEMPT stations you are charged the pre-paid price without the penalty charge. Crews carry EXEMPT fare cards strictly for use at these stations. Does MNCR have a similar policy? I have heard that entire lines like the Waterbury branch have no offices or TVMs. In my opinion,if you are penalized for purchasing a ticket on board where there is no way whatsoever to purchase one in advance is a BAD policy! MACTRAXX

by NJD8598

Yeah there are exempt stations, I'm not sure about the Waterbury branch or the Danbury but on the New Canaan you just pay a regular fare leaving from Glenbrook, Springdale, or Talmadge Hill, New Canaan has machines. If I get on in Glenbrook and get a ticket to GCT I pay no penalty....I actually didn't realize this so I used to drive to Stamford or Noroton Heights prior to my trip to get a ticket, but now I just hit the ATM on the way to the station. I'm assuming the same policy applies to the other branches if there are no TVM's.

by Nester

Sometimes the common-sense answer is correct. If you call 800-METRO-INFO or go to the MTA site, both locations indicate that the on-board fare and the station fare are the same at stations that do not have a TVM or station agent.

I spoke to an operator who confirmed this.

Nester

by MACTRAXX

Guys: Which MNCR are EXEMPT stations as I mentioned? Some obvious ones are Appalachian Trail and Breakneck Ridge. The MNCR literature and timetables make absolutely NO mention of which stations have no ticket selling capability. The ticket office hours in the MNCR TTs are helpful and are better than almost no mention as on the LIRR. BUT the LIRR has the better fare chart showing most all fares between all points along with the EXEMPT stations noted. More importantly-which stations have a TVM but no ticket office? Thanks again - MACTRAXX

by AMoreira81

I can say then that the entire Waterbury branch should then have a no-onboard surcharge, since I cannot find any TVMs anywhere! (I found this out while transferring between buses at Derby-Shelton railroad station.)
  by Reese

Regarding what ticket selling is available by station, go to the Metro-North website, stations pages. For any station you call up, the info page lists availability of TVMs and a ticket office at the station

by Terminal Proceed

Harlem & Hudson - No TVM or ticket window thus - station fare paid on-board at the following stations:

Harlem Line: Melrose, Tremont, Mt. Pleasant, Appalachian Trail

Hudson Line: Manitou, Breakneck Ridge

NH Line: At the following stations, ticket machines are located on the West Bound (NY) side of the station:

NH Line: Cos Cob, Riverside, Old Greenwich, Noroton, Darien, E Norwalk, Greens Farms, Southport, Stratford, Milford - Full onboard fares apply to Westbound travel for onboard purchases. For Eastbound travel, fare is station fare plus one dollar for on-board purchase.

Branches:

New Canaan:Glenbrook, Springdale, Talmadge Hill - No TVM or ticket window thus - station fare paid on-board.

Danbury: Merritt 7, Cannondale, Branchville, Redding, Bethel - No TVM or ticket window thus - station fare paid on-board.

Waterbury:Derby, Ansonia, Seymour, Beacon Falls, Naug, Waterbury - No TVM or ticket window thus - station fare paid on-board.

ALL other EAST of Hudson stations ONBOARD FARE WILL APPLY AT ALL TIMES WHEN ON-BOARD PURCHASE IS MADE. IF TICKET MACHINE IS NOT FUNCTIONING FOR ANY REASON, CUSTOMER SERVICE MUST BE CONTACTED, AFTER PAYING CONDUCTOR THE ON-BOARD FARE. Customer Service will then arrange for a refund of the difference between the on-board fare and the station fare once they verify that the machines were not working.

by UpperHarlemLine4ever

Terminal Proceed, unless they have been removed in the last two weeks, there are TVM's at the Melrose and Tremont Stations on the Harlem Line. Then again with all the vandalism, it wouldn't surpise me if they've been removed. Those machines are out of order more than they work.

by MACTRAXX

Terminal Proceed and UHL: THANK YOU for the info! I find it interesting that stations on the NH main line where the machine is on the WB side,you are NOT penalized EB or with a minimal one dollar charge. I figured that the MNCR policy would be similar to the LIRRs policy but as I mentioned that MNCR literature makes absolutely NO indication of this. The LIRRs policy is if there is a machine at a station no matter what the location the higher on-board charge is made. Two great examples of this are Forest Hills and Kew Gardens(Zone 1) - the machine is on the WB side platform. If you are going East,you must go to the WB side to buy your ticket and than go under (at FH) or over (at KG) the 4-track Main Line to catch your EB train. Has MNCR had any problems with TVM vandalism? With the 2003 fare increase, Nostrand Avenue and East New York were also EXEMPT stations. the LIRR in the meantime installed machines at these stations - The machine at Nostrand is in what looks like a cage and I do not know the location of the ENY machine-this station has a reputation as a rough area and I do suspect the LIRR has fortified the TVM some way. Again I say thanks - MACTRAXX

by Reese

Terminal Proceed wrote:NH Line: At the following stations, ticket machines are located on the West Bound (NY) side of the station:

NH Line: Cos Cob, Riverside, Old Greenwich, Noroton, Darien, E Norwalk, Greens Farms, Southport, Stratford, Milford - Full onboard fares apply to Westbound travel for onboard purchases. For Eastbound travel, fare is station fare plus one dollar for on-board purchase.
One aspect of this info out of date. The "station fare plus $1" for eastbound boardings no longer applies at any stations. This exception was eliminated March 1, 2005

by MACTRAXX

REESE: Thanks for that input. That means that with the fare increse,the MNCR is the same as the LIRR policy on the NH main line-You pay the full on-board fare from stations with TVMs regardless of their location in that station. Thanks-MACTRAXX