• Minor Collision @ DC Union Station (MARC / Amtrak)

• Discussion related to DC area passenger rail services from Northern Virginia to Baltimore, MD. Includes Light Rail and Baltimore Subway.
Discussion related to DC area passenger rail services from Northern Virginia to Baltimore, MD. Includes Light Rail and Baltimore Subway.

Moderators: mtuandrew, therock, Robert Paniagua

by Duncan McGuyver

WASHINGTON - A freight train and a MARC passenger train collided outside Washington's Union Station, but neither train had passengers and no one was seriously injured.
http://www.myfoxdc.com/dpp/news/local/2 ... ies-110510

More detail:
An Amtrak train was being positioned to be added to another train going south later today. The train ended up on the same track as a MARC train waiting for the evening rush, McHugh said.
http://www.tbd.com/blogs/tbd-latest/201 ... -4225.html
  by BuddSilverliner269

I just brought 181 into DC and we were delayed in New Carrollton for an hour. It was 2 trains unoccupied and were yard moves. A switcher was coming off with The Great Dome and a private car to put on the rear of 51 and a collision took place with a Marc train being repositioned. I don't know the details and don't like speculate so I'd rather let the investagators do there findings but it sure wasn't a pretty sight and I heard one of the engineers was seriously injured. This is a sensitive subject so let's try and keep this civil
  by nomis

From a VRE Train Talk Email
Derailment at Union Station

There has been a derailment of equipment at Union Station, blocking the area between the lower level tracks and our mid-day storage yard. The equipment involved was not VRE equipment, but has the potential to affect VRE service. While the details are still unclear at this time, here is what we do know:

1) Mid-Day Train Service: One Manassas Line train and one Fredericksburg Line train were “trapped” on the lower level platform at the time that the incident occurred. This is good news for us as we will use these trains to operate our mid-day service. Both Fredericksburg train 301 (departing Union Station at 12:55pm) and Manassas Line train 325 (departing Union Station at 1:15pm) are expected to operate on-time.
2) L’Enfant Station: There are a number of Amtrak trains that are being held at various places along the railroad until they can gain access into Union Station. Currently, one is parked along the L’Enfant platform. We are working on possible options to ensure that our L’Enfant passengers can board the mid-day trains at L’Enfant. If a solution cannot be reached, we will likely open the Metro Option between L’Enfant and Crystal City. If that is the case, we will try to give you as much advanced notice as possible.
3) Rush Hour Service: We remain hopeful that Amtrak will be able to clear some of the tracks between the storage yard and the lower level in time for our service. We will keep you update as the situation continues to unfold.

We appreciate your patience as we work through this situation.
  by gcavert

The train talk emails from VRE are getting a lot less optimistic as the evening wears on. 331 overheated at L'Enfant and 333 is going to push it back to Broad Run.
  by cobra30689

gcavert wrote:The train talk emails from VRE are getting a lot less optimistic as the evening wears on. 331 overheated at L'Enfant and 333 is going to push it back to Broad Run.
I was 333's engineer, and actually ended up going around 331 and pulling it home. Thank GOD I had the V50....factor in the weight of the dead Geep, 6 cars on my set and 8 cars on 331....comes out to be the weight equivalent of a 17 car train. V50 earned its stripes last night, I can tell you that.....
  by dt_rt40

As of me taking a red line past Union Station around 3pm yesterday, the derailed MARC cars still appeared to be there.
Any idea when they were cleared? Surely Ivy City has at hand the type of cranes or jacks required to re-rail engines or cars?
buddsilverliner, was it really an hour at NC? I used to ride 181 fairly regularly. That day I rode 151. I called "Julie" out of curiosity to see how late 181 had been and she said they arrived at Union Station at 10:15, only 30 minutes late.
  by davinp

cobra30689 wrote:
gcavert wrote:The train talk emails from VRE are getting a lot less optimistic as the evening wears on. 331 overheated at L'Enfant and 333 is going to push it back to Broad Run.
I was 333's engineer, and actually ended up going around 331 and pulling it home. Thank GOD I had the V50....factor in the weight of the dead Geep, 6 cars on my set and 8 cars on 331....comes out to be the weight equivalent of a 17 car train. V50 earned its stripes last night, I can tell you that.....
The disabled train forced Train 309 to skip L'Enfant Station.

The next new locomotive is to arrive just a few days before Christmas. By the end of April, a new locomotive will be on every regular consist. By July we will have all 20 locomotives. All current locomotive will be moved off the property.

Train #307 left DC 20 minutes late.
  by chucksc

cobra30689 wrote:
I was sitting back in the cheap seats in 331's cab car - dark and getting cold for over 2 hours till we got into BroadRun. Let me second Cobra's opinion of the V50 - My Blackberry's GPS had us motoring along in the mid 40s up through Clifton.... IMO darn thing works.... Now if they had only put a bigger HEP unit in it :wink:
  by HokieNav

RailVet wrote:The Washington Post article at

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/co ... 06333.html

stated, "An Amtrak locomotive was pulling a rail car and a privately owned passenger car with the owner and a man on board." Does anyone know the name or number of the privately owned car or the identity of the owner?
From the Amtrak forum:
jhdeasy wrote:
jp1822 wrote:Guess the Great Dome - Ocean View - may not be making a run on the Cardinal today?
It may not. It looks like it might be trapped on track 30 behind switcher 799 and the accident scene. Remember track 30 stub-ends in the station ... it is not connected to track 29 at the south end.

Good thing you got your own Great Dome ride on train 50 last weekend.

UPDATE: SILVER FOOT is the private car coupled to switcher 799 and Great Dome lounge 10031 OCEAN VIEW. One owner and one crew member were onboard the car at the time of the collision.