• Millers Falls interchange yard

• Guilford Rail System changed its name to Pan Am Railways in 2006. Discussion relating to the current operations of the Boston & Maine, the Maine Central, and the Springfield Terminal railroads (as well as the Delaware & Hudson while it was under Guilford control until 1988). Official site can be found here: PANAMRAILWAYS.COM.
Guilford Rail System changed its name to Pan Am Railways in 2006. Discussion relating to the current operations of the Boston & Maine, the Maine Central, and the Springfield Terminal railroads (as well as the Delaware & Hudson while it was under Guilford control until 1988). Official site can be found here: PANAMRAILWAYS.COM.

Moderator: MEC407

by jaymac

Dejau vu -- kinda.
Back in the McGinnis epoch, there was going to be construction of a major classification yard at Montague or thereabouts for joint B&M-CV use. Dunno if it was supposed to be funded by Unca Pat's deferred maintenance program or not.
  by atholrail

I dont know where they would find room for a class yard at Montague, but the new interchange yard work continues. Today it looked as if they were getting ready to remove the block signal. Billy.
  by newpylong

I believe there could have been room on the Montague flats, at least it appears that could have been the case...

thats sweet news about Millers. Love to see more pictures if you got 'em. One of my trains went into emergency right by the wye there once so I had a good walk around and wondered if it ever would get use again. I wonder what's going to happen to the boxcar, ha.
  by Noel Weaver

If interchange between the NEC and Pan Am is going to take place at Millers Falls, I wonder what will happen to the line between Greenfield and East Northfield?
This is certainally key trackage if passenger trains are ever going to use the proper route north out of Springfield.
Noel Weaver
  by newpylong

Noel Weaver wrote:If interchange between the NEC and Pan Am is going to take place at Millers Falls, I wonder what will happen to the line between Greenfield and East Northfield?
This is certainally key trackage if passenger trains are ever going to use the proper route north out of Springfield.
Noel Weaver
It won't be going anywhere. As it is now the line only sees traffic once a week the entire length and once partially to get to the Bernardston Agway when needed.

PAS still has its customers on the Conn River off the CV - and I am not sure if they can give their WACR interchange traffic to the NECR to bring up to WRJ or what... the only thing that should change is there won't be anymore interchange with the NECR at Brattleboro - it will obviously be at Miller's instead. I would exactly expect this interchange to grow quite a bit - as the NECR will have a much better connection with the NS.

By the way - I have been told Amtrak coming back is a done deal. Take it for what it's worth but I am pretty confident it will happen.
  by ferroequinarchaeologist

Montague was definitely in the sights under McGinnis. The B&M published a book of plans, roughly in the same format as an employee timetable.

PBM
  by ProRail

Newplong wrote:

"By the way - I have been told Amtrak coming back is a done deal. Take it for what it's worth but I am pretty confident it will happen."

I heard the railroad down in Virginia with the Big White Horse has no interest in the Conn River traffic south of Holyoke and is not involved in any discussions with Pan Am or Amtrak about restoring the Conn River's Passenger service.

Also - I also heard that Palmer, MA (via the Steaming Tender Restaurant) is pushing to have Palmer added as a station stop on the Vermonter. So this would be a blow to that effort.

So my question is....who is pushing the restoration of the Conn River Passenger service between Springfield and Greenfield besides railfans and advocacy groups? Doesn't sound like the 3 railroads involved have any concrete interest.
  by gprimr1

The distance between Holyoke and Springfield is so minimal that Amtrak could probally pick up the maintance as part of the Springfield line.

Edit: The distance between a scrap yard that appears to have service and Springfield Union station is approx 5 miles.

The railroad with the white horse has intermodal rights all the way to New Haven and I think would be remiss if it didn't exercise them, considering how congested I-95 is and how the CT government is pushing to expand rail in the state. Also, with the Springfield line in good condition, I'd like to see the cost analysis that keeps them from doing it.

The Knowledge Corridor and PVTA are probally the ones pushing for Amtrak's return to the CT River. In many ways Northampton is a larger population base and the amount of traffic on the CT river line will prob lever be on the same level as the the B&A so pulling Amtrak off the B&A isn't a bad idea.

I have heard the same with Steaming Tender and it does make sense considering the train stops there anyway.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Knowledge_Corridor
Last edited by gprimr1 on Thu Nov 12, 2009 6:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
  by Noel Weaver

I agree with those who say that Amtrak will return to its rightful route out of Springfield north via Northampton. It is shorter, faster and at least as good a revenue producer as
the route via Amherst.
Noel Weaver
  by newpylong

Regardless of what you heard, work will begin in the spring on the Conn River. The talks involve the NS, it is 50% their line.

This is being pushed by Amtrak and the state. It is a faster route that serves more population base. Palmer's and Amhert's efforts at this point are fruitless.

ProRail wrote:Newplong wrote:

"By the way - I have been told Amtrak coming back is a done deal. Take it for what it's worth but I am pretty confident it will happen."

I heard the railroad down in Virginia with the Big White Horse has no interest in the Conn River traffic south of Holyoke and is not involved in any discussions with Pan Am or Amtrak about restoring the Conn River's Passenger service.

Also - I also heard that Palmer, MA (via the Steaming Tender Restaurant) is pushing to have Palmer added as a station stop on the Vermonter. So this would be a blow to that effort.

So my question is....who is pushing the restoration of the Conn River Passenger service between Springfield and Greenfield besides railfans and advocacy groups? Doesn't sound like the 3 railroads involved have any concrete interest.
  by ProRail

When the rail train, and not just a tie gang, shows up to work the line next Spring, then I will believe it.
I heard a completely different story coming from Iron Horse Park.
  by newpylong

Time for a new source...

This isn't just from Billerica. The MassDOT has schematics for new interlockings and is getting ready for construction next year. The MBCR says it's a done deal. Also, Amtrak is already working on new dispatching layouts due to changes south of Spring and possibly north as well.

I would hope you would see a rail train - ties aren't going to help the 105 lb stick rail that's currently there falling apart.

ProRail wrote:When the rail train, and not just a tie gang, shows up to work the line next Spring, then I will believe it.
I heard a completely different story coming from Iron Horse Park.
  by QB 52.32

gprimr1 wrote:The railroad with the white horse has intermodal rights all the way to New Haven and I think would be remiss if it didn't exercise them, considering how congested I-95 is and how the CT government is pushing to expand rail in the state. Also, with the Springfield line in good condition, I'd like to see the cost analysis that keeps them from doing it.
Well, the first thing you have to ask is where all those trucks on I-95 (or I-84 for that matter) are coming from, going to, and carrying. Many are transiting through CT and handling business that would not be conducive to intermodal. CT can be effectively served with well-managed trucking from North Jersey or western or central MA intermodal terminals as CSX does today (Conrail closed its New Haven terminal in the late '80's). Were NS to add a western New England intermodal terminal, it would make more sense, like CSX, to put the terminal as close to the east/west freight main, located on a good highway network (I-91, I-90), and serving a larger market area like western MA, too. My guess is that NS would not want to run an intermodal train over Amtrak into CT, unless the CT politicians use taxpayer money to support their notion that "CT just has to have an rail intermodal terminal" and cut a deal with NS (why not CSX?). I'd think if NS added a western New England ramp it would be located somewhere between Greenfield/E Deerfield and Springfield.
  by newpylong

QB 52.32 wrote:I'd think if NS added a western New England ramp it would be located somewhere between Greenfield/E Deerfield and Springfield.

They will already have one close by in Mechanicville...