Discussion relating to the operations of MTA MetroNorth Railroad including west of Hudson operations and discussion of CtDOT sponsored rail operations such as Shore Line East and the Springfield to New Haven Hartford Line

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, nomis, FL9AC, Jeff Smith

by Myke Romeo Angel

In my Railpace Magazine June 2004 issue on page 38 i noticed there

were only three tracks in the picture, were the tracks cut down to three

or something. Reason i ask because on my Rail Video Productions video

The Yankee Clipper where the train rides thru the station there were

four tracks, so i was just wondering did they cut the tracks back to three or

something, since the video was made in the 80's, things to change. I'm just

nosey so i was wondering.

Also what station does the M2's (i think) switch from third rail to catenary

i wanted to see if i could find photos of the areas on the net.

Thanks in advance 4 your help.... :-D

by MN Jim

Track 3 was removed from service in the late 1980s - can't remember the exact year.

The changeover from catenary to third rail is done just west of Pelham station.

Jim

by Myke Romeo Angel

MN Jim wrote:Track 3 was removed from service in the late 1980s - can't remember the exact year.

The changeover from catenary to third rail is done just west of Pelham station.

Jim
Cool thanks.

Now i can do a search for photos under Pelham station

by Swedish Meatball

The tracks running thru Milford are 1.2.4. There are bridges that are being worked on near the station that have the structures built in for track 3 for the possible future. I don't know if and when a West Haven or Orange station is ever built but they will have to bring tk. 3 back and electrify it.

by AMoreira81

That can't happen, because where the fourth track should be, the GCT-bound platform is now. What this has done (or seems to have done) is hurt Amtrak scheduling, as the MTA controls the signaling.

Somewhat shortsighted thinking on the Connecticut DOT's part. (NOTE: The line was electrified at the time ONLY thru to the Boston/Springfield yard after Union Station, and Acela was still 10-15 years away.)

by Swedish Meatball

Why can't they build a new platform. They only have a four car platform which they have not begun to work on. Track 4 is getting an 8 car platform and is close to completion and then we will see what there intentions are on Track #1. If you watched all the other rehab work (i.e. Darien and Westport) they worked on both sides simultaneously. Also where will the W. Haven station have there platform on industrial 5??

by AMoreira81

Swedish Meatball wrote:Why can't they build a new platform. They only have a four car platform which they have not begun to work on. Track 4 is getting an 8 car platform and is close to completion and then we will see what there intentions are on Track #1. If you watched all the other rehab work (i.e. Darien and Westport) they worked on both sides simultaneously. Also where will the W. Haven station have there platform on industrial 5??
Usually though, the trains from New Haven have four cars open only at Milford. Down at Westport, is when the train usually goes to six, at least outside the peak. I see the logic in doing the eastbound track only right now (although they will have to close the underpass to put the missing platform there).