Discussion related to New Jersey Transit rail and light rail operations.

Moderators: lensovet, Kaback9, nick11a

by Thomas

Yesterday, it was announced that NJ Transit would receive funding to design a micro grid that would reduce chances of electrical problems during future natural disasters. My question is, though, why is so little money being allocated to this very important project?
  by Ken W2KB

Thomas wrote:Yesterday, it was announced that NJ Transit would receive funding to design a micro grid that would reduce chances of electrical problems during future natural disasters. My question is, though, why is so little money being allocated to this very important project?
The money is to fund a study to determine what should be built. Once that is determined additional funding would be provided.
  by Jersey_Mike

Isn't a microgrid the way Amtrak delivers its power in the 25Hz zone?
  by OportRailfan

I guess? There are a number of various sites that 25Hz power is supplied/converted at.
  by Thomas

How does Amtrak protect it's grid from getting hacked?
  by themallard

http://www.railwayage.com/index.php/pas ... channel=55
The Department of Energy (DOE) will tap Sandia National Laboratories to help design a localized electric grid for NJ Transit, which would make rail infrastructure (such as catenary power supply) more self-reliant if other portions of the national grid fail or prove inadequate.

DOE, along with NJT and the New Jersey Board of Public Utilities, will sponsor a study of NJT's rail system energy needs and the "conceptual design" for a microgrid, which would power the network around Newark, Secaucus, and Hoboken, along with critical stations and maintenance facilities.

Christie, in a statement, said the microgrid could help keep trains running during a natural disaster or make their use more available for evacuation purposes or other emergencies.
  by Jersey_Mike

Thomas wrote:How does Amtrak protect it's grid from getting hacked?
It was using 1930's power dispatching technology, but today it probably isn't trying that hard.
  by OportRailfan

1930's technology is pretty hard to hack. And if they have upgraded, they're probably still using 1980's computer/RTU technology
  by 25Hz

This is a long needed development, and I think sandy and the several relatively recent large blackouts showed us that we need working mass transport infrastructure before, during, and after these various events. I'm excited to see what comes out of this.
  by Jersey_Mike

25Hz wrote:This is a long needed development, and I think sandy and the several relatively recent large blackouts showed us that we need working mass transport infrastructure before, during, and after these various events. I'm excited to see what comes out of this.
This isn't anything new. All early electrification systems had to maintain their own grid because public utilities hadn't created on yet. Then when power companies eventually built one everyone, including people on these forums were all over the "why do we need an independent grid, look how NJT does it" bandwagon.
  by Passaic River Rat

Thomas wrote:Yesterday, it was announced that NJ Transit would receive funding to design a micro grid that would reduce chances of electrical problems during future natural disasters. My question is, though, why is so little money being allocated to this very important project?
Why do you think the project is very important? (I am not saying it isn't. Just looking for specifics.)
  by 25Hz

Jersey_Mike wrote:
25Hz wrote:This is a long needed development, and I think sandy and the several relatively recent large blackouts showed us that we need working mass transport infrastructure before, during, and after these various events. I'm excited to see what comes out of this.
This isn't anything new. All early electrification systems had to maintain their own grid because public utilities hadn't created on yet. Then when power companies eventually built one everyone, including people on these forums were all over the "why do we need an independent grid, look how NJT does it" bandwagon.
Sir, you're talking to not only a railfan, but also someone hugely into the history of electrical devices, generation, distribution, and use for traction & communications... :)

As amazing as our north american electrical grid is... We have what's called brittle power. Easily interrupted, even on a mass scale. Returning to micro grids, especially using distributed generation (rooftop solar/wind & geothermal/micro hydro etc) plus smart grid technology and much lower consumption devices is what we need. I see this as a great first step insofar as NJT is concerned. :)
  by Jersey_Mike

25Hz wrote: Sir, you're talking to not only a railfan, but also someone hugely into the history of electrical devices, generation, distribution, and use for traction & communications... :)

As amazing as our north american electrical grid is... We have what's called brittle power. Easily interrupted, even on a mass scale. Returning to micro grids, especially using distributed generation (rooftop solar/wind & geothermal/micro hydro etc) plus smart grid technology and much lower consumption devices is what we need. I see this as a great first step insofar as NJT is concerned. :)
Errr, first all a "smart grid" means is that China can turn off the power remotely. Second the disadvantages of intermittent power sources should be obvious to anybody. I don't know what exactly is being proposed here, but instead of using fancy words let's just call it an independent Traction Power Network.

BTW do you know the location of the 4th DL&W Substation? I only know of West End, Denville and Summit.
  by Taborite

Jersey_Mike wrote: BTW do you know the location of the 4th DL&W Substation? I only know of West End, Denville and Summit.
Maplewood? That's definitely where the current NJT substation is.
  by ACeInTheHole

Taborite wrote:
Jersey_Mike wrote: BTW do you know the location of the 4th DL&W Substation? I only know of West End, Denville and Summit.
Maplewood? That's definitely where the current NJT substation is.
Between Maplewood and South Orange, on the eastbound side of the tracks. Nice big phase gap in there.