• Metuchen Yard Operations and Vicinity

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New Jersey
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New Jersey

Moderator: David

by TAMR213

ME-2 is currently waiting on the Millstone Branch for CETC-8 to give him permission to run back up to the Receiving Yard at EDISON. Was just given permission up to the signal at COUNTY, where he will have to wait for a few trains to get by.

Was surprised to hear this: CSX 4441 with SEVEN cars. On a few occasions recently there have been longer trains like this, and at other times the power will return to Metuchen Yard light (like last night, without even the caboose).
  by Erie Limited

Earlier this morning I noticed a long string of what appeared to be light gray high-sided C&D gondolas sitting in the Metuchen Receiving Yard (adjacent to the NEC). While these cars are not rare, it seems unusual to see a solid block of them in that yard (which these days is usually empty).

Rob
  by TAMR213

ME-2 just left DEANS with CSX 4441 en route to the 0 track at EDISON.
  by TAMR213

ME-2 West through Highland Park at 4:27 PM, couldn't see what track they were on, so unknown if they were going to Deans or County. Todays train was quite large, CSX 4441 in the lead with 12 cars plus the caboose (1 C&D Hopper, and then 5 or 6 each of Covered Hoppers and Boxcars, which were oddly all painted for Wisconsin Central).

EDIT: Later heard on my scanner that they went to the Millstone Branch. Also makes sense with that long of a train...
Last edited by TAMR213 on Wed Dec 19, 2012 6:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
  by TAMR213

Didn't see it, but it sounded like ME-2, back east through HP at 6:42pm.
  by TAMR213

ME-2 west through Highland Park at 12:53 PM heading to COUNTY after completing work at National Can and General Tire. CSX 4441 lite, no consist or caboose.
  by TAMR213

ME-2 was just given permission to open up at National Can and head west to General Tire, no word on engine number or car count.

In addition, the last time I actually saw the train was this past Friday, 4441 seems to be a staple recently, had 9 cars and the caboose. Interesting that some days there is very little traffic, while others the train is very long (relatively speaking).
  by TAMR213

ME-2 just went west through Highland Park at 4:51 PM, sounded like the engine was really working due to the wet rails.

CSX 4441 shf + 6 covered hoppers, 2 C&D gondolas, and the caboose
  by TAMR213

ME-2 with the NS 5269 shf + 2 covered hoppers at EDISON just received a Form D (12:59 pm) to operate down track 1 (between EDISON and MIDWAY) in order to reach DEANS.

EDIT: West through Highland Park at 1:05 pm, a bit odd that it doesn't have the caboose. Assuming they will be returning from DEANS to EDISON light, with the possibility of working General Tire and the Millstone IT later today. Also as a note, it seems like the Metuchen crews no longer use 160.980 MHz while working on CSAO track, but now use 160.620 MHz.
  by OCtrainguy

I traveled over the corridor on Route 287 today and noticed a cut of NS high open hoppers in the yard there. I didn't see any power, just the cars. Any ideas what/where they may be used or if they are just being stored there?
  by wolfboy8171981

There is a new Conrail served customer near the old Carbarundum site. Bay Shore Recycling. This was a couple years in the making.
  by TAMR213

OCtrainguy wrote:I traveled over the corridor on Route 287 today and noticed a cut of NS high open hoppers in the yard there. I didn't see any power, just the cars. Any ideas what/where they may be used or if they are just being stored there?
Any idea if they were Construction & Debris type hoppers? Not sure if NS owns any of these, but if so, these regularly go to Colgate Paper Recycling down on the Millstone Branch, and I believe are also used by National Can (or whatever the industry is called that is located on the "National Can Lead").
  by TAMR213

wolfboy8171981 wrote:There is a new Conrail served customer near the old Carbarundum site. Bay Shore Recycling. This was a couple years in the making.
Ahh, very cool to see more industries being served out of Metuchen, especially that far east. I remember seeing a Woodbridge Township press release a few years ago when they were just opening. Also, I've been seeing boxcars on the ME-2 every so often recently. Are there any new or only occasional customers on the NEC side of things?

EDIT: Vince - Also, though served out of Browns, do you have an insight if Silverline Windows still sees service, and if so, how often? Thanks.
  by OCtrainguy

TAMR213 wrote:
OCtrainguy wrote:I traveled over the corridor on Route 287 today and noticed a cut of NS high open hoppers in the yard there. I didn't see any power, just the cars. Any ideas what/where they may be used or if they are just being stored there?
Any idea if they were Construction & Debris type hoppers? Not sure if NS owns any of these, but if so, these regularly go to Colgate Paper Recycling down on the Millstone Branch, and I believe are also used by National Can (or whatever the industry is called that is located on the "National Can Lead").
Based on the quick look I got, I think they looked close to the hopper in the third photo you provided. The first few I saw definitely looked like they had NS markings as I saw NS on one line and then the car number underneath. At first, I thought they were ballast hoppers, but they are longer and taller, and are a light color.
  by OCtrainguy

wolfboy8171981 wrote:There is a new Conrail served customer near the old Carbarundum site. Bay Shore Recycling. This was a couple years in the making.
Thanks for the information!