Discussion relating to the operations of MTA MetroNorth Railroad including west of Hudson operations and discussion of CtDOT sponsored rail operations such as Shore Line East and the Springfield to New Haven Hartford Line

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, nomis, FL9AC, Jeff Smith

by Jeff Smith

I did something like this over in Amtrak; let's see what our MNRR patrons have to say. Top 5 projects? I'll do a separate thread for CtDOT.

1. Penn Access from New Haven Line.
2. Diesel fleet replacement/acquisition of Multi-Level equipment
3. Third track from Crestwood to NWP (there's a separate thread on a third track at WP station)
4. New service Suffern - Port Chester - Stamford (transfer to Hudson, not a direct connection due to capacity issues) over the Tappan Zee as originally envisioned in that project. The twin spans have a provision for tracks in between them.
5. Beacon branch DMU shuttle service

I resisted the temptation to restore the Put lol, particularly the "around the horn" shuttle from Goldens Bridge - Mahopac - Carmel - Brewster.
  by NH2060

“Don’t tempt me Frodo!” :P

Let’s see I’ll go with...

1. 3rd track to White Plains

2. Springdale 2nd track and platform

3. Dual mode and coach fleet replacement + expansion

4. Replacement of the Mianus, Saugatuck, and Housatonic drawbridges

5. New Milford extension (I know, dare to dream right?)
  by Jeff Smith

Yup, definitely a New Canaan siding/passing track to increase headways / reverse directions during peak hours.

I've got New Milford in my CtDOT thread.
  by DutchRailnut

Metro North stimulus would not pay for projects in Ct . that money would need to come via CDOT
  by njtmnrrbuff

Here is my list for MNR projects that I want to see happen within NY State.
1. New Haven Line East Bronx Service-this is a must and I am glad that it's going to happen. The sections of the Bronx that the Hellgate Line passes through like Co-op City, Morris Park, and Hunts Point require people to either take a long subway, bus ride, or even both to access Midtown Manhattan. For people who live in the East Bronx that are heading to employment centers in New Rochelle, Greenwich, and Stamford have to take a bus to get to a Metro North Station. Depending on where you live in the East Bronx, it's not easy getting over to the New Haven Line. Some of the sections, you can get on over to Fordham Station easily but if you live in Co-op City, you have to get on over to Boston Road and catch a bus to New Rochelle. I hope that the MTA is considering not just having Metro North run this East Bronx service during the week and rush hours. I hope that these trains will be running off peak hours and on weekends. There are many people who work outside of the traditional 9 to 5 job Mondays through Fridays. Plus there are people who would like to make daytrips to Midtown Manhattan to shop, catch a play, or visit a museum.

2. The third track extension of the Harlem from Crestwood to North White Plains. This should have all happened at the same time the third track was extended as far as Crestwood. As mentioned in a different thread, it would be tough to build the third track at White Plains Station since there isn't room there. However, the track could end just south of WP Station and probably start up again just north of the WP Station. Many trains stop at White Plains anyway. The Harlem Line from GCT to North White Plains sees almost a "subway style" frequency of trains during the rush hour-heading into the city during the am rush and them coming back out during the pm rush. During all other times of the day, you aren't waiting longer than 30 minutes for a train between GCT-WP. Having this third track wouldn't only help the trains going as far as North White Plains. It would help everything, even the trains that start out at Wassaic Station. The express trains that originate in Wassaic and Southeast could probably save some additional time between NWP and GCT.

3. Replacement of the Shoreliners and dual modes-the non-center door Shoreliners are probably between 33 and 35 years old and are definately showing their aging signs. Many of the center door Shoreliners are probably somewhere in their 20s agewise. I don't know if the center door Shoreliners need to be retired just yet, but the non-center door ones probably do in the next few years. As for the dual mode Genesis units, I hear mixed feelings about them. I think many of them are around 22-23 years old and there are multiple ones that are 25 years old. They have been fine for the most part but acceleration has been an issue. If the MTA wants to retire the P32AC-DM units in a few years, than that's what will happen. The 228 and 231 units-probably CDOT will decide what to do since they own those four units, even though they belong to the MNR pool.

3. Hudson Line projects-install third rail on all of the four tracks of the electrified stretch of the Hudson Line between CP 13 and Croton-Harmon Station. During the rush hour, there are Croton-Harmon express trains that make few stops that use electric mu equipment. Another project that I would like to see happen is have a second platform at Marble Hill Station-on the Harlem River side. There may be room to build the platform on the river side of the station.
  by Backshophoss

Replace the Mt Kisco middle track to allow some staging/short turns
Reuse former freight siding as a staging track(west side where the freight station for Mt Kisco was)

Shuttle service,B North to Hopewell Jct.adding Stormhaven and Pouchquag to
that shuttle.
  by Backshophoss

Stewart Airport-Beacon "Bus Bridge" to Hudson Line,direct service via MN WOH Port Jervis line when NJT "returns" to normal
  by R36 Combine Coach

Jeff Smith wrote: Thu Apr 09, 2020 8:15 am 4. New service Suffern - Port Chester - Stamford (transfer to Hudson, not a direct connection due to capacity issues) over the Tappan Zee as originally envisioned in that project. The twin spans have a provision for tracks in between them.
The ROW is intact between Suffern and Spring Valley, but Monsey is clearly NIMBY about it. The best (and simplest) option would be a BRT service combining HudsonLINK and I-BUS.
  by Jeff Smith

R36, you're right about Monsey. And that ROW I think may be getting a trail if it hasn't already, and is likely in dire shape. A new ROW from Suffern would likely be better.
  by Backshophoss

The add on list:
Running Repair shop for WOH at Port Jervis yard or at Middletown& NJ interchange yard,NJT gets orders to send all MN Equipment
to MN territory only.
New passing sidings at Pawling and at Pouchquag(Hopewell Jct shuttle)
This might be a streach,rebuild the Golden's'Bridge-Lake Mahopac-Carmel-Put Jct LOOP
  by Jeff Smith

I like that last one although in my original post I kind of laughed at it. I don't think you'd get the full around the horn, but Mahopac service would certainly be useful and take a lot of cars off 6/202 headed to stations with parking.
  by NH2060

NH2060 wrote: Thu Apr 09, 2020 8:44 am “Don’t tempt me Frodo!” :P

Let’s see I’ll go with...

2. Springdale 2nd track and platform

3. Dual mode and coach fleet replacement + expansion

4. Replacement of the Mianus, Saugatuck, and Housatonic drawbridges

5. New Milford extension (I know, dare to dream right?)
Here's an amended list for NYS (since as Dutch pointed out some of the above would require funding from CT)

2. EOH dual mode and coach fleet replacement + explansion
3. Penn Station Access via Hell Gate Line
4. Additional double track on the Port Jervis and Pascack Valley Lines where needed
5. WOH diesel and coach fleet replacement
  by MACTRAXX

Everyone:

The first priorities at this time should be dealing with the current virus pandemic and
resulting major ridership losses along with economic and funding problems for all of
the MTA including MNCR.

The long term survival of MNCR going forward must be secured before future projects
can be planned.

Mass transportation is NOT designed for "social distancing".
There looks to be a percentage of riders that will not return to the rail system for a
variety of personal reasons.

Some have discovered that work-from-home is a good personal option and may never
return to being regular commuters again.

With gas prices low (oil is currently around $20/barrel) driving has become cheaper.
Some will choose to "distance" themselves by using their own vehicles instead of MNCR.

It is good to be optimistic about MNCR's future but the current serious problems have to be dealt with...

MACTRAXX
  by Jeff Smith

MT, as I noted in the LIRR thread, it's more of a wish list. We know it's not getting done any time soon! It's all good though. :P