Discussion relating to the operations of MTA MetroNorth Railroad including west of Hudson operations and discussion of CtDOT sponsored rail operations such as Shore Line East and the Springfield to New Haven Hartford Line

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, nomis, FL9AC, Jeff Smith

by Matthew Mitchell

Penn Central wrote:By the time the signs arrived, 386 computers were obsolete and Metro-North bought 486 computers but the software was not compatible. The issue was never resolved, so information is limited. We are behind the bar with this fault as the Hong Kong and London underground systems have signs showing the next train arrival time and its destination.
Those kinds of hardware-based at-station information systems are becoming less and less important as an increasing number of people use hand-held devices (cellular or wi-fi) to get real-time information in a customized format.
  by Head-end View

Well don't write off those of us who don't use "smartphones" and still get our information the old fashioned way. Hmmm...........I wonder if there's a smartphone app to see out the front of the train using your phone.......
  by runningwithscalpels

Head-end View wrote:Well don't write off those of us who don't use "smartphones" and still get our information the old fashioned way. Hmmm...........I wonder if there's a smartphone app to see out the front of the train using your phone.......
Youtube - I'm sure someone has uploaded the applicable video for the route you're taking ;)
  by railmason357

The ones in Harmon have been up and running _ Similar to 125th Street. Shows three trains and track arrivals. Appears to be working good.
  by SubaruWRX

I did not know the signage here would have to be taken up with CDOT, It's been awhile since I've been to GCT but I think the sign at the Harlem station shows the upcoming trains plus the date and time? In some old pictures I saw of the Stamford station they used to know that info track level but they changed to the LCD monitors some time ago (when?)