Discussion relating to the operations of MTA MetroNorth Railroad including west of Hudson operations and discussion of CtDOT sponsored rail operations such as Shore Line East and the Springfield to New Haven Hartford Line

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, nomis, FL9AC, Jeff Smith

by CarterB

Current operations seem to be tracks 102-116 on the lower level.
When were tracks 117 - 127 and tracks 160-170, 186-188 and track 200 last used? What were they used for during earlier NYC days?
Is there still a freight elevator to street or upper level from any of those tracks?
  by MNRR_RTC

Tracks 102 to 114 are used for passenger service. Tracks 116-west are out of service and no longer a part of the lower level as it is being used for the LIRR EAS project. Those tracks haven't been used in over a year. You do have a work train that does come down into the out of service area to bring in and take out cars.
  by DutchRailnut

116 to 125 (no 127) are turned over to LIRR, the tracks will be removed and East side acces waiting room/terminal room goes there.
most are yard tracks, now replaced by tracks in Highbridge.

All others you mentioned are storage(yard) tracks, I have used 200 to bring in extra equipment. the lower level loop is out of service.
No elevators from any of those tracks.
  by MNCRR9000

Are they going to put the lower level loop back into service or has that been taken out permanently. How many total tracks does the upper and lower level have?
  by DutchRailnut

No the lower level loop will be gone forever.
how many tracks , I am not gone count them but I have posted how many platform tracks 3 or 4 times.
so I leave it to others to repost or find the info.
  by MNCRR9000

Is there a certain criteria for sending trains to the upper or lower level or does it not matter?
  by DutchRailnut

Does not matter, only Push- pull is normally going to upper level as those tracks have 480 standby receptacles.
But there are no restrictions on what can go where.
Even Push Pull goes down to lower level sometimes, mostly for interior cleaning.
  by CarterB

All others you mentioned are storage(yard) tracks, I have used 200 to bring in extra equipment. the lower level loop is out of service.
Are all the storage tracks [160-170, 186-188 ] "madison ave yard" going away as part of the LIRR ESA?
  by DutchRailnut

no only tracks 117 thru 125
  by The Interloafer

MNCRR9000 wrote:Is there a certain criteria for sending trains to the upper or lower level or does it not matter?
Also, the platforms on the upper level tend to be longer. Shorter trains more frequently use the lower level during rush hour.
  by StLouSteve

Hey all...is the unique overhead third rail for gaps (switches, etc) in the track level third rail still extant anywhere in the terminal/Park tunnel?

If not, what were the last locos to use it (FL9s?)...were the Niagara Junction electrics ever so equipped?
  by DutchRailnut

yup some of it is still hanging there, its de-energized, and MNCR has no equipment that could use overhead third rail.
Last were the Niagra RR E10b's, but those were scrapped years ago.
  by Railfan-2

Loop Track 200 is in service. It ocnnects to Tracks 123 and 125 on their south end.

Tracks 116-127 (or their right of way where the tracks had been taken up already), all of the 160s (except for 160 and 161 - present day north end of 115), and 186-188 have been turned over to the MTA Capital Construction Company for the construction of the lower concourse that will serve LIRR passnegers. When the East Side Access project is complete, Tracks 186-188 will return to MNR. The rest will be gone forever.
  by DutchRailnut

I believe 123 and 125 are out of service, and also turned over to Capital programs.
200 is only in service two car lenghts sounth of B&B tunnel
  by Railfan-2

Tracks 123 and 125 (along with all other Madison Ave Yard tracks) belong to MNR (for now) but have been turned over operationally to the MTA Capital Construction Company (MTACC). 123 and 125 are used by MTACC for delivery of construction equipment and materials in support of the East Side Access project, and for hauling equipment and debris out. MNR supplies the locos, train crews and (for now) the freight cars.

Madison Ave Yard is no longer part of the GCT interlocking. Tracks 123 and 125 are dark territory and trains entering those tracks must receive permission from the attendant MNR Flag who is protecting those tracks and the adjacent construction sites.

Loop 200 is in service though MNR C&S and MTACC crews have been doing a lot of work along its right of way recently. The C&S work is not connected to the MTACC work. When no work is being done on that right of way, Track 200 is used for train storage during the day.