• Metro-North assistant conductor test expectations?

• General discussion about working in the railroad industry. Industry employers are welcome to post openings here.
General discussion about working in the railroad industry. Industry employers are welcome to post openings here.

Moderator: thebigc

by oddball

I just got a letter from metro north inviting me to a test for the assistant conductor position....can anyone give me some advise on what i should do and expect? thanks in advance!

by RailroadDog

They will most likely give everyone a written test and perhaps also
a math test.

This is in order to test your reading comprehension and your
ability to perform simple math.

After the test however passes them will then be interviewed.

They will also give a speech known as the "scary speech" about
railroad job life, drug testing, long hours worked, etc...

Hope that helps some.

Sean
www.getarailroadjob.com

by oddball

thanks, how about the mechanical test? i called to confirm my testing and they said ill have a math test, a vocab test and a mechanical test..anyone know what to expect on the mechanical test?

by Swedish Meatball

You will have a test with basic english, math, mechanical abilities and a psychological profile at the end. You will probablly be with a group of 200 or more if your coming from off the street. If you pass you will be given a background check and then interviewed. Good Luck.

by Otto Vondrak

Mechanical test- they probably want to see if you have the ability to climb on and off the equipment without difficulty. If you have a hard time climbing ladders, etc, you wont be able to board equipment in the yards, or get down to throw switches when needed, etc.

by oddball

thanks all, im still nervous but now i have a better idea of what to expect..

by Swedish Meatball

Otto you are speaking of a physical agilities test. The mechanical abilities test will show things like pully's and if you turn this one this way how will the next one turn. They will show a train on a curve and ask if the train derails which side should it go off the tracks. Hope that helps a little. If you pass the test you will later on take a physical agilities test like stepping over the 3rd rail, being able to climb up a ladder etc..

by PChap

If they give a psych eval always answer the questions based on what a reasonable person concerned with their personal safety and the safety of others would do. For exampe, if they ask you if you enjoy skydiving say no even if you do. They would possibly then view you as a person who takes unnecessary risks and not consider you for employment.

Oh yeah. If you have any DUI's or conviction involving controlled substances don't bother.

by oddball

thanks, anyone else have some tips? the more the merrier!

by Swedish Meatball

Have you ever been on a MNRR train. You wont see many of the conductors at MENSA meetings no offence to Terminal Proceed or Dutch. :P The test is rather basic and try's to root out people who can not count money or basic english ability.
  by LIRailfan79

oddball wrote:I just got a letter from metro north inviting me to a test for the assistant conductor position....can anyone give me some advise on what i should do and expect? thanks in advance!
oddball, did you take the test yet? if so how was it?

i posted my resume on their application website a few months ago but never heard anything.

can you tell us something about your background?
also when did you first apply and how?

by oddball

I didnt take my test yet, I go may 24, but I'll be sure to let you know how it was when I get back. As for your application, everyone keeps telling me it takes time, so I'll tell you..it might be a while until they contact you, it took me a few months so far. Now as for my background, its pretty much all retail. I worked in Stop n Shop, Kmart, Macy's, Home Depot, and others. I definately know how to handle customers! :-D And I first applied just before Metro North started only taking resumes from online, which was about 3 or 4 months ago I think. I went with someone who works for Metro North and dropped off my resume with him at Grand Central, but I had to do it all over again online because Metro North stopped accepting hard copies of resumes.

by the way, does anyone else have any more helpful hints? thanks!

by LIRailfan79

hey oddball how did the test go? where was it offered? how many people were there? what was on it?

do you think you made it to the next round?

its like american idol but for conductors, lol.

by oddball

i think the test went ok....i hope so! i took it on broadway. the were like 65 people there. there was a vocab test which i think i did pretty good on, it was multiple choice and you just had to match words to thier meanings.. then there was a math test, just a lot of adding, like word problems about adding ticket prices and a big column of numbers to add at the end. then the mechanical test was pretty basic. some wierd stuff but i think i did ok. after that was the psychological test, just personality questions..alot of questions about daring stuff like skydiving and racing..and i dont wanna say anything about if i think i made it cuz i will jinx myself!
  by MNRR PA OPERATOR

im sure u did fine oddball. dont worry about the exam. right now they probably looking into your background. like your credit history, how u handle ur bills, ur old jobs and such. hopefully u have a driver's license or are soon to get one cause as a former Crew Dispatcher for MNR, they will be sending u all over the place! u start in Grand Central NY jobs because its the juniormost terminal, however i have personally sent guys to NH from the NY area. Im sure u did fine, let me know when u get to the interview and how it all goes. hope to see u with a orange badge on soon with the uniform!

CHARGE THE ONBOARD FARE!!!! TRAINMASTERS ARE WATCHING YOU!!! :wink: