Discussion related to commuter rail and rapid transit operations in the Chicago area including the South Shore Line, Metra Rail, and Chicago Transit Authority.

Moderators: metraRI, JamesT4

by WelshPete

Many thanks Istone19 and MetraBNSF.

I had a feeling 105 was on the BNSF but am happy that 179 and 181 are also there, much easier for me to track down on the BNSF rather than Rock Island where I believe they were previously, looks like my decision to stay 3 nights in Aurora may turn out to be a good one.

As for 217 that is what I thought/expected but thanks for the confirmation. I expect 412 to be on Rock Island as I've not seen any reports of it away from there for as long as I can remember.

Cheers
Pete
  by F40CFan

Saw 217 on the north side of CUS the other day. I didn't know it was named "Village of Romeoville".
  by Anthony

F40CFan wrote:Saw 217 on the north side of CUS the other day. I didn't know it was named "Village of Romeoville".
It was renamed in recognition of the new Romeoville stop.
  by MetraBNSF

It appears one of the rebuilt F40PH-3s assigned to the BNSF/SWS pool suffered some front end damage when SWS train 807 hit a truck on the tracks in Wrightwood this morning. There was footage from the air courtesy of CBS 2 but could not see what unit # was involved. Fortunately no major injuries or fatalities.
  by ChicagoRailfanner1989

I don't know if you've heard, but this past Thursday evening, 204 and 205 while on their way to Progress Rail for rehab by a CSX train derailed near Sherwood, Tennessee. The flat cars fell on 205 while 204 stayed on the rails.
  by D40LF

ChicagoRailfanner1989 wrote:I don't know if you've heard, but this past Thursday evening, 204 and 205 while on their way to Progress Rail for rehab by a CSX train derailed near Sherwood, Tennessee. The flat cars fell on 205 while 204 stayed on the rails.
205 fell down an embankment and several cars landed on top of it, judging by the photos I saw.

If its destroyed, which I think it might be, who pays? CSX?
  by Backshophoss

If METRA files a claim,CSX pays,if the 205 was still METX lettered.
If 205 was tagged as a Progress rail unit,then CSX pays Progress Rail
  by KevinD

This wreck on CSX happened on another former manned helper district that likely was eliminated.

Not really sure why Progress keeps sending rebuilds on the world tour. Doesn't seem that Patterson GA has the stones to do commuter power rebuilds, so not really sure why each Progress shop always gets a piece of the action. Patterson does one part, and then they are sent to Mayfield or Muncie to finish. WTF.
  by F40CFan

KevinD wrote:Not really sure why Progress keeps sending rebuilds on the world tour..
Perhaps a way to justify jacking up the price? :wink:
  by MetraBNSF

192 is back and was running today.

So far, that makes 188, 192, 194, and 200 as the Winnebagoes that have been rebuilt.
  by eolesen

Does anyone have updates on the 205? Is it being recovered or scrapped on-site in Tennessee?
Backshophoss wrote:If METRA files a claim,CSX pays,if the 205 was still METX lettered.
Not sure the lettering matters as much as who the shipper was.

If they were tendered by Metra to Progress in Chicago, and Progress paid the shipping, then Progress has the claim against CSX, while Metra has a claim against Progress.

If they were tendered by Metra to CSX, then Metra has the claim against CSX.

Either way, the settlement value of the unit might be interesting to determine --- it was on the verge of rebuild, so its commercial value is going to be lower than if it were returning from rebuild.
  by lstone19

eolesen wrote:Does anyone have updates on the 205? Is it being recovered or scrapped on-site in Tennessee?
Backshophoss wrote:If METRA files a claim,CSX pays,if the 205 was still METX lettered.
Not sure the lettering matters as much as who the shipper was.
The engine was probably moving as "freight on its own wheels". As such and as best I can remember from my railroad days, it would be considered just another piece of freight no different than a box inside a box car and any claim for damage would be by the shipper. The markings would only be relevant when it's being used in railroad service, not when it's the freight.
  by Gilbert B Norman

ChicagoRailfanner1989 wrote:I don't know if you've heard, but this past Thursday evening, 204 and 205 while on their way to Progress Rail for rehab by a CSX train derailed near Sherwood, Tennessee. The flat cars fell on 205 while 204 stayed on the rails.
Here is local media coverage of the incident:

http://www.heraldchronicle.com/trail-de ... -sherwood/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
  by MetraBNSF

MetraBNSF wrote:137 was observed on BNSF in Hinsdale.
137's stay must've been really short. Its now in the MD pool.