Discussion related to commuter rail and rapid transit operations in the Chicago area including the South Shore Line, Metra Rail, and Chicago Transit Authority.

Moderators: metraRI, JamesT4

by MetraF40C607

It was said the original two wouldn't be back until April. This is Progress Rail's first go-around with a passenger unit rebuild. They had to tear the 102 down to bare bones to get the idea of what they were going to be dealing with. Once the rest of the units begin making their way down there, i'm sure it will go a little but quicker now that Progress will have a handle on it.
  by Milwaukee_F40C

This is Progress Rail's first go-around with a passenger unit rebuild. They had to tear the 102 down to bare bones to get the idea of what they were going to be dealing with.
This doesn't sound very assuring. They must have been the low bidder. I hope Metra is getting a good warranty in this deal.
  by MetraF40C607

Unknown. What I do know, however, is if the units had been rebuilt at Paducha like was originally thought, it would be pretty bad. I hear from a friend at CN that all of the GP38-2s they get back from Paducha run terribly. They load slowly, ride bad, and spit oil like theres no tomorrow.
  by metraRI

111 also appears to have slipped away, 111 went out before 110... back in December. That leaves 4 F40's out: 102, 100, 111, & 110.
  by F40CFan

611 is missing again. 614 is all by itself.
  by F40CFan

Last night (02/12/2009) 611 was sitting on the east leads to the engine house at Western Ave. The headlight on the rear was illuminated and I think it was running. An employee speculated that they may be getting it ready for service because of all of the locomotive failures lately.

I think they should get 614 up and running also. You never know when one of the boom-boxes is going to bite the big one.
  by F40CFan

Last night, 02/13/2009, 611 was back in its usual spot. Oh well, at least they seem to be keeping it in working order.
  by Metra416

111 also appears to have slipped away, 111 went out before 110... back in December. That leaves 4 F40's out: 102, 100, 111, & 110.
The 111 is on the Heritage Corridor
  by metraRI

From what I understand, 111 has been off Metra property since mid December. There have been reports of this unit at Progress Rail.
  by Metra416

My apologies, my mistake...123, 118, and 107 are on the HC, 111 is missing in action. Again sorry about that.
  by Metraf40cfan

Any one ben able to get any good photos of the rebuild project going on? It will be intersting to see if they opt to add a seperate HEP generator during the upgrade to help with fuel consumption. :-D Wonder if the color scheme will be the same as the 400's? I was just in Union Station back in the begining of January and 127 was sitting on the North end at track 5. Did not get to see to many of the F-40PH's that trip it was all 400's.
  by metraRI

104 is the 6th unit to be sent out... reaching the half-way point.
102, 100, 109, 110, 111, 104
  by dreese_us

Are these F40's being re-powered with Cat engines?
  by bones

I doubt it. Metra for some reason likes thier HEP tied in with the prime mover.