Discussion related to commuter rail and rapid transit operations in the Chicago area including the South Shore Line, Metra Rail, and Chicago Transit Authority.

Moderators: metraRI, JamesT4

by F40CFan

108 is on the break-in train MU'd behind 420. Saw it last night (04/20/2010) at Western Ave. and this morning (04/21/2010) in CUS.
  by byte

Saw the 103 today at CUS during my lunch break. The fireman's side cab door is almost completely barren of paint, as though it all chipped off. Looks like the door itself is aluminum or stainless steel though, maybe someone in the paint shop in KY wasn't thinking...
  by metraRI

109's fireman's side door is similar, but from pictures I've seen it doesnt look like there was any paint on the current door. It was not delivered this way.. so I wonder if Metra replaced it at some point.
  by F40CFan

109's door has been that way for quite a while (weeks maybe over a month), and you're right, it doesn't look like it's ever had a splash of paint on it.

Saw 116 at Western Ave. on the break-in train Friday evening (6/4/2010).
  by AMTKHawkeye

Spotted 123 MU'ed in front of an MP36 in the Western Ave. yard this afternoon, while riding home on MDW train 2223. It does indeed have the ARRA logo in the rear as well.
  by metraRI

Woah, 123 did indeed sneak in right behind 122, 4 days later on the 3rd.
  by F40CFan

I thought I saw a rebuilt 124 heading into CUS the other day. It was passing and I just got a glance, so I could be wrong.
  by AMTKHawkeye

F40CFan wrote:I thought I saw a rebuilt 124 heading into CUS the other day. It was passing and I just got a glance, so I could be wrong.
I'm afraid that would be incorrect - 124 has been holding assignment on the Heritage Corridor, still has not left for Kentucky.
  by bones

You're right 124 was heading into CUS, not because it was on its way to walmart for rebuild, but because it was headed to the BN. I have a feeling that 113 is on its way to Walmart.
  by F40CFan

Ooops, should have read this post before replying to the other thread. Whatever unit I saw, sure was shiny and new-looking.
  by metraRI

F40CFan wrote:Ooops, should have read this post before replying to the other thread. Whatever unit I saw, sure was shiny and new-looking.
122 and 123 are the most recent rebuilds... possibly one of those?
  by F40CFan

It could be. I've seen both of them before. Either that or it was a very clean 124. I only caught the front of it as it passed by, couldn't tell if it had the smaller windows on the cab doors.
  by doepack

bones wrote:You're right 124 was heading into CUS, not because it was on its way to walmart for rebuild, but because it was headed to the BN. I have a feeling that 113 is on its way to Walmart.

I didn't know Walmart was in the loco rebuild business. Next thing you know, Target will be rehabbing the Pullmans, and new cars for MED will be provided by Costco.... :-D
  by F40CFan

doepack wrote:I didn't know Walmart was in the loco rebuild business. Next thing you know, Target will be rehabbing the Pullmans, and new cars for MED will be provided by Costco.... :-D
And they'll all purchase the tools and parts at Menard's.
  by F40CFan

Well, I saw evidence of the wheel-slip problems on the rebuilds first hand this morning.

I was on 2220 waiting to get into CUS while some equipment that was deadheading to Western passed in front of us. I think the locomotive was 107 or 108, didn't pay close attention until it was too late. The HEP was not on, so I could hear the diesel cycling up and down. It must have taken at least 5-6 tries to get that train up the incline to Canal St. It would come to a stop and roll backwards between each attempt. It was a long train, maybe 10 cars, but it was empty. Maybe its time to move that wheel slip sensor.