Discussion related to commuter rail and rapid transit operations in the Chicago area including the South Shore Line, Metra Rail, and Chicago Transit Authority.

Moderators: metraRI, JamesT4

by MetraMDW211

611 is the protector for this weekend at CUS on track 23!
  by MetraMDW211

611 is in the Western Ave. Yard now
  by MetraMDW211

611 and 614 are both parked in the Western Ave. Yard tonight.
  by lstone19

One of them was on 2223-2246-2247-2252-2253 tonight (saw it on 2246 from on-board 2239 and then again on 2252 while at dinner). I don't know how the 7-car sets turn overnight but that will put it on one of 2202, 2206, 2212, or 2214 in the morning.
  by lstone19

614 was pulling 2239 tonight.
  by F40CFan

Saw 614 on 2205 on Tuesday (10/11/11) and on 2242 last night (10/13/11). That would match up with it being on 2239.
  by metraRI

Looks like the C's will be here for a while longer:
Today’s funding was approved by the Chicago Metropolitan Agency for Planning (CMAP) and awarded to three projects along the following Metra routes:

Milwaukee District Service (North and West lines): $4,000,000 in funding to repower two locomotives used to provide commuter rail service to the Chicago area. The repowering will consist of a new diesel engine and control package. Estimates indicate that a repowered locomotive equipped for commuter application would generate approximately 18% to 20% in fuel consumption savings and a reduction of approximately 33,250 gallons of diesel fuel and 600 metric tons of greenhouse gases per locomotive annually;
http://www.enewspf.com/latest-news/scie ... sions.html
  by lstone19

Saw 614 tonight (10/14/11) on 2137. 611 was sitting at Western Ave.
  by F40CFan

611 was sitting on track 13 with its train this morning(10/21/2011). I haven't seen it for a while.
  by F40CFan

metraRI wrote:Looks like the C's will be here for a while longer:
Today’s funding was approved by the Chicago Metropolitan Agency for Planning (CMAP) and awarded to three projects along the following Metra routes:

Milwaukee District Service (North and West lines): $4,000,000 in funding to repower two locomotives used to provide commuter rail service to the Chicago area. The repowering will consist of a new diesel engine and control package. Estimates indicate that a repowered locomotive equipped for commuter application would generate approximately 18% to 20% in fuel consumption savings and a reduction of approximately 33,250 gallons of diesel fuel and 600 metric tons of greenhouse gases per locomotive annually;
http://www.enewspf.com/latest-news/scie ... sions.html
Too bad they were so quick to scrap the others, they could have a whole fleet of fuel efficient and environmentally friendly locomotives. ;)
  by Metraf40cfan

Glad to see they will be keeping the old girls running... Next they will need to rebuild the MPI's. Have heard they are still having major issues with the MPI's.
  by F40CFan

This is pure speculation on my part; I heard that they were going to rebuild them with 710 prime movers. Maybe they are to be a test bed for eventual conversion of the MPI boomboxes to 710s? Maybe the remaining F40PHs also? Again, this is pure speculation on my part.
  by metraRI

F40CFan wrote:This is pure speculation on my part; I heard that they were going to rebuild them with 710 prime movers. Maybe they are to be a test bed for eventual conversion of the MPI boomboxes to 710s? Maybe the remaining F40PHs also? Again, this is pure speculation on my part.
This is also included in the funding... assuming this is for 401-405:
BNSF Service: $920,000 in funding to replace the main engine driven generator-inverter combinations – which provide various amenities to people on board trains, ranging from electric lights to heating – on 5 passenger locomotives to save fuel and reduce emissions.
  by F40CFan

metraRI wrote:
F40CFan wrote:This is pure speculation on my part; I heard that they were going to rebuild them with 710 prime movers. Maybe they are to be a test bed for eventual conversion of the MPI boomboxes to 710s? Maybe the remaining F40PHs also? Again, this is pure speculation on my part.
This is also included in the funding... assuming this is for 401-405:
BNSF Service: $920,000 in funding to replace the main engine driven generator-inverter combinations – which provide various amenities to people on board trains, ranging from electric lights to heating – on 5 passenger locomotives to save fuel and reduce emissions.
Interesting. Maybe my speculation is not so far off base after all.
  by c604.

Too bad they were so quick to scrap the others, they could have a whole fleet of fuel efficient and environmentally friendly locomotives
You already have a fleet of fuel efficient locomotives on the MILW - the MP's put out zero pollution when they break down ;-)

It will be interesting to see what they do with the 401-405. Separate HEP engine? F40PH-like gearbox HEP?