Discussion related to commuter rail and rapid transit operations in the Chicago area including the South Shore Line, Metra Rail, and Chicago Transit Authority.

Moderators: metraRI, JamesT4

by Metra416

Word from the inside tells us that 3 MP36's from the Milwaukee District will be out of service for the next 2-3 weeks and as a result look for the 2 600's to begin service on Monday March 17 2008.

by MetraF40C607

As if that isn't enough, they'll even run them in on 3 main downtown!

by Tadman

How serious is this? I'm not the C-Junkie that some of you guys are, but I will be in town with time to kill that week, and I definitely wouldn't turn this down... I'm on spring break from law school and am gunning for a big st. pats day, then it's time to hit the CUS north leads during evening rush. What a great trip!

by Blutorse4792

Are 611 & 614 gonna run on the MD/N?

I might hafta head out to Rondout next week :wink:

by doepack

Blutorse4792 wrote:Are 611 & 614 gonna run on the MD/N?

I might hafta head out to Rondout next week :wink:
If they do start running again, heading into the city would be a better idea, if you want to catch them during rush hours at either Western Ave or Canal St just north of CUS. On any given day at Rondout, you could come up empty handed, especially if they're short-turning at Deerfield... :wink:

by F40CFan

As of this morning, 611 and 614 are in their usual space at Western, cold and silent.

by MetraF40C607

Please note the information in the other posts regarding the F40Cs. When they do run, FWIW, i'll be in Elmwood Park at 73rd Ave unless I know one or both are comming out the West Line to Elgin.

Oh, by the way, no MP36 fans are allowed to see the F40Cs. They can sense your feelings towards their replacements. :P

by doepack

MetraF40C607 wrote:Oh, by the way, no MP36 fans are allowed to see the F40Cs. They can sense your feelings towards their replacements. :P
Well, that counts me out... :(
  by F40CFan

Does anyone know where 611 is? I've been off work and when I went by Western Ave. today, 614 was sitting there all by itself. I couldn't see if it was in the shops.
  by Metra416

In the shop to be put back on the road as of late last week...
  by F40CFan

Great, are they going to do that with 614 also?
  by F40CFan

After the mess surrounding the teens running Metra locomotives, I wonder how hard it would be to get a cab ride on an F40C if they do get into revenue service. It sure would be cool to get a cab ride video before they are gone forever. Either that, or allow someone to setup a video recorder and have an authorized Metra employee hit stop and start. Heck, they could do the whole thing themselves, sell it, and get additional revenue.

Even though my favorites 50/610 and 42/602 are gone, I'd pony up for one of 51/611 or 54/614, especially if it included a tour of the engine compartment.

I know, I know, wake up!!!

Before anyone asks; why are the F40Cs so special? I offer my own top ten list.

10) They were built for the Milwaukee Road, my favorite railroad.
9) They were named for cities and towns along the routes they ran for their entire service lives.
8) In their original and unaltered state, they were really cool looking, especially the way the side panels and silver paint blended with the Budd BiLevels.
7) I rode them for almost their entire service life, missing only the first 1 1/2 year. (I did ride behind E units and liked them too, but many railroads had E units)
6) The C-C trucks make them unique among commuter locomotives. (A friend who used to work for the Milwaukee Road told me that some in management were worried that the C-C trucks wouldn't be able to navigate the curve starting at Clinton St. into Union Station. Never mind that before the F40Cs, FP45s and rigid-trucked steam engines had no problem).
5) They're burly and just look like they can get you to your destination safe and on-time. In all the years I rode behind them, I can't think of a time where I personally was on a train where one had a problem. I do remember times when an F40PH had problems. To avoid starting a war, I won't mention the other locomotives.
4) Even though Metra butchered their appearence, they were still classy.
3) Engineers loved their ride and even today, some operating crews miss them.
2) You gotta love those 5-sided cab windows.
1) They just are.
  by doepack

[quote="F40CFan"]4) Even though Metra butchered their appearence, they were still classy{/quote]

You've mentioned this occasionally before, yet I've never understood what you meant by it. Care to explain?

It's also a little strange that 611 is still named for a township that doesn't exist anymore (Ontarioville). It was changed to Hanover Park sometime ago, and F40PH unit 147 (aka "Operation Lifesaver") is now named for this suburb. Assigned to UP, it's guaranteed not to run through there, in a bit of irony...
  by F40CFan

Originally the aluminum panels extended almost to the end of the unit and a band of silver/aluminum paint continued the effect to blend with the bilevels. Metra took off one or two of the panels, painted the area blue and put a big white Metra logo there. To me, it ruined the visual continuity with the coaches. I saw an early version where the panels were left in place and a letterboard like those used on the bilevels was attached to it. I thought that looked better.

I've also never been a big fan of the Metra red-head livery. I think the F40Cs original livery suited them better. Just personal taste.
  by doepack

Cosmetically, it might have been a better idea if Metra had removed part of the aluminum panels toward the cab, instead of deciding to remove them from the rear, at least that would've kept the visual effect with the stainless steel cars intact. In their current state, I think they'd look better if coupled to a solid set of red & blue painted Pullmans, not that we'll ever see anything like that...