Discussion related to commuter rail and rapid transit operations in the Chicago area including the South Shore Line, Metra Rail, and Chicago Transit Authority.

Moderators: metraRI, JamesT4

by MetraF40C607

Ya, I never see 8700s and rarely see a 7700 on a the UP anymore.

by Milwaukee_F40C

A few trains on the UP-W occaisionally have at least one Pullman. In January I was in 7741 heading to Geneva. It was the only Pullman in the train. Earlier that day there was a train that had two, one was RTA and the other Metra. Since then I have seen other trains with Pullmans in both schemes. I had no idea there was still a cab car running.

Updated link for the "400" car:
http://www.ozarkmountainrailcar.com/Omr ... mmuterCars

by MikeF

Milwaukee_F40C wrote:A few trains on the UP-W occaisionally have at least one Pullman. ... I had no idea there was still a cab car running.
I still see Pullmans daily on the UP-NW, although seldom more than one per train these days. As for cab car 8758, it's "deactivated" and used only as a coach.

By the way, the other Metra-painted Pullman mentioned above, 7858, was in a train sitting in the coach yard at Waukegan today.

by metraRI

About how many Pullmans are still out running every weekday, how long before they are all out of service?

by doepack

Friday's UP-W train 49 had 4 7700's in its nine-car consist. That's the most I've seen strung together in a while, usually it's only 2 or 3. But they seem to be pretty much down to rush hour appearances on the UP-W line, don't really see them that much on midday trains anymore...

by B&M E7

Are there any ex C&NW smooth side cars left running on C&NW lines?
I currently live in Boston and news filters out here very slowly.
Thanks

by MikeF

Yes, there are still a handful of them running. They won't be around too much longer, though.

by metraRI

Last Wednesday I was suppressed to see a Pullman coach in Metra paint still running on UP. I thought all of those have been sold off to other agencies..I guess not.

by MikeF

You were suppressed? :wink:

As mentioned a few posts above, there are still two Pullmans, 7858 and 8758, running around in Metra silver, red and blue.

by metraRI

Whoops, I guess spell check decided to change my original word...surprised. :-D

Any estimates on how many pullmans total are still running around?

by MikeF

Milwaukee_F40C wrote:Are C&NW 1 and 6 at IRM the last of the 7600's?
Last I knew there were still one or two out-of-service 7600's hanging around California Avenue.
  by B&M E7

WOW ! That is really sppoky for me, looking at that photo and text about C&NW coaches making a one way trip to GOOSE ISLAND for scrapping, then coming out in pieces.
In 1974, I worked at CLYBOURN tower, and occaisionally let a pair of Milwaukee Road GEEPS across the diamond there enroute to Goose Island.
Of course then, EVERY one of the many C&NW "commuter streamliners" had these in the consist. I never pictured, though, these cars being dragged "across" teh C&NW mainlines over the "MILWAUKEE ROAD" enrout to their scrappings.
Oh well, time doesn't stand still.

by Tadman

That metra scrap site behind Finkl is a three minute walk from my house - I see those cars being cut up now and then, although I figured they were then fed into Finkl's melt furnace - not sure if anybody has seen it, but the ladle crane working in the melt shop is a 200-ton unit.
  by B&M E7

Tadman:
Is there any chance that I could trouble you to supply me with ANY numbers of cars involved? I've been slowly organizing a master list of what happened to ALL the C&NW bi-levels. I have numbers of SOME of the first cars that went in (Goose island). ANY amounts of information, great or small, would be helpful.
Thanks.
Doug