Discussion related to commuter rail and rapid transit operations in the Chicago area including the South Shore Line, Metra Rail, and Chicago Transit Authority.

Moderators: metraRI, JamesT4

by metra104

Are There Any Different Colors On The Seats Of The 7200 Cars? Because I Know The 7300's Seat Colors Are Red

by F40CFan

When the second set of Milwaukee Road Budd coaches were purchased in the 1970s, there were 3 different colors of seats. Each entire coach had either orange, blue or lime green seats. They were something to see.

by Scotty Burkhardt

It's hard to keep track of seat colors and types but I'll give it a go. When KYD rebuilds a coach the interiors are done up much like the 7400's. (blue seats, white plastic) The exception is the 1500-1600 series. Those little boogers were rebuilt by MK not KYD and lack the uhhhh switchable(?) seats.....Many of the old MILW cars still have the brown seats. The RTA delivered cars have the red seats. Rebuilds (MK & KYD) and Metra cars have the blue seats.

My favorites are the Orange and Yellow on the 15-1600's and the ones that spin on the 77-8700's. Those things were great........

by Tadman

All I know is, NICTD had better consult with Metra about seats before ordering new coaches - South Shore chairs SUCK. THey are hard, slope downward, and have poor knee room, while any Metra equipment I've been on - H1, H2, 700's, 8400's, 8500's, has been fine. To add insult to injury (or at least discomfort) the CSS is twice as long as most Metra runs, taking 2:20 end to end.

by MetraBNSF

A few days ago, I sat in car 7382 on a SWS train (my first ever trip on SWS) and that particular car has blue seats and paneled interiors, much like the rebuilt 700 series cars. This is the first 7300 series car that I've seen rehabbed.

by byte

I remember riding on a car on the SWS years ago, with an interior a bit different than any other I'd been on. The seats were black, and the lighting was kind of greenish - not like the greenish tint you see through the windows, but it was actually green inside. I was probably 12 at the time, and riding with my grandmother. She said that it was an older car, but didn't know much else. Does this description ring a bell with anyone?
  by tobuadantoq

MetraBNSF wrote:A few days ago, I sat in car 7382 on a SWS train (my first ever trip on SWS) and that particular car has blue seats and paneled interiors, much like the rebuilt 700 series cars. This is the first 7300 series car that I've seen rehabbed.

7382 Coach is former 8222 Coach/Cab.