• Merchants Limited

• Discussion relating to the NH and its subsidiaries (NYW&B, Union Freight Railroad, Connecticut Company, steamship lines, etc.). up until its 1969 inclusion into the Penn Central merger. This forum is also for the discussion of efforts to preserve former New Haven equipment, artifacts and its history. You may also wish to visit www.nhrhta.org for more information.
Discussion relating to the NH and its subsidiaries (NYW&B, Union Freight Railroad, Connecticut Company, steamship lines, etc.). up until its 1969 inclusion into the Penn Central merger. This forum is also for the discussion of efforts to preserve former New Haven equipment, artifacts and its history. You may also wish to visit www.nhrhta.org for more information.
  by MP 0.1

Did the Merchants Limited leave from a specific assigned track at Grand Central Terminal? It looks like there are old stanchion holes in the floor outside the gate to Track 16, similar to what can still be found next to the TCL's Track 34.
  by Rockingham Racer

I used to take it once in a while. Track 34 sounds very familiar.
  by Tom Curtin

I recall the Merchants in the 60s normally departing from track 24. Perhaps 23

(Note . . . it would have been somewhat unlikely to have used 34, or any track in the "30's," since pretty much everything west of, say, 29 was pretty much NYC territory. The two railroads pretty much observed that separation, although not necessarily slavishly. Track 34 was unquestionably the Century's track in those years, all the way to the end of its operation.
  by Noel Weaver

I won't use the word "never" but it was not likely that 26 left from any tracks in the 30's.
I think 24, 25, 26, 27 or maybe 28 would be the most likely area.
I might have an old track assignment but I would probably take days to find it so I guess this will have to be OK for now.
I had that job regular firing for a time but I can't recall for sure just where we left from.
One exception to the basic rule was train 76 the 2:00 PM departure for Springfield which left for many months from track 33
at least on a Monday - Friday basis. Don't remember on weekends.
Noel Weaver
  by Rockingham Racer

Would track 34 be one of the loop tracks by any chance?
  by Noel Weaver

Rockingham Racer wrote:Would track 34 be one of the loop tracks by any chance?
NO

Noel Weaver