• MBTA's MPI HSP-46 Locomotives

• Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.
Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.

Moderators: sery2831, CRail

by daylight4449

ACeInTheHole wrote:
ck4049 wrote:The 2001 was dedicated today to Robert M. Tatom and now has a plaque on the sides beneath the windows just like on a few of the F40's.
They switched the prime mover already? It would be kind of silly to dedicate a locomotive with a blown engine.
It could be possible that the block never cracked... Could have been some piping or seals that went kaput when the engine froze. Either that, or it was dead. Without being there, we really wouldn't know...
  by merrick1

TrainManTy wrote:Leave it to Railroad.net to spin EVERY SINGLE rumor and incident that we hear about third-hand into a complete condemnation of a locomotive/coach/railroad/carbuilder/loco builder/engine choice...
In 1978 I was railfanning in Penn Station In New York. There was a brand new AEM 7 pulling a New Haven bound train. For some reason the brakes would not release. The engineer was obviously very frustrated. A couple of mechanics came and after about half-an-hour working in the cab they fixed the problem and the train got moving.

Obviously the AEM 7 was junk and would never replace the mighty GG 1
  by Quiet Screamer

ACeInTheHole wrote:
ck4049 wrote:The 2001 was dedicated today to Robert M. Tatom and now has a plaque on the sides beneath the windows just like on a few of the F40's.
They switched the prime mover already? It would be kind of silly to dedicate a locomotive with a blown engine.
Blown Engine? Where you get your news? The Globe? 2001 had minor freeze damage and is all repaired, it actually ran yesterday on the north side.
Last edited by Quiet Screamer on Sat Jan 24, 2015 9:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
  by scrook

ck4049 wrote:
The 2001 was dedicated today to Robert M. Tatom and now has a plaque on the sides beneath the windows just like on a few of the F40's.
Perhaps some biographical info is available on Mr. Tatom [Jr.?]?
  by BandA

Bramdeisroberts wrote:
Backshophoss wrote:The Staff at GE's QC dept should have caught the problem before the parts went to MPI. :(
At the same time, considering we're talking about an order for only 160 traction motors for 40 locomotives, compared to the 5000+ ES44's and 20,000 traction motors that GE is building or has built for the freight companies, I can see how the QC details on these parts might have fallen through the cracks.
I remember my dad ranting one day back in the 70s or 80s how GE had a policy of not testing motors smaller than (something) horsepower before selling them. It was cheaper (for GE, not the customer) to replace any DOA than to QC them.
  by Backshophoss

Well that policy came back to BITE GE and MPI big time.
Reminds me of that streach of bad tubros that plagued the ES-44's/EVO-44's back in 2009-2011.
  by scrook

[quote]According to this, a man named Robert M. Tatom, who passed away at age 61 this past November, worked for the MBTA in bus operations./quote]

Thanks, but saw that. I was wondering if anyone had firsthand stories about him: his work with the MBTA, personal stories about him, that sort of thing; more about the man behind the plaque.
  by ACeInTheHole

GP40MC1118 wrote:Word is the 2008 is now an ice cube in Fitchburg...

D
You mean the block froze on another one? Well. That more or less confirms that a design flaw was responsible for killing the 2001.. And now 2008. Uhoh.
  by TrainManTy

ACeInTheHole wrote:
GP40MC1118 wrote:Word is the 2008 is now an ice cube in Fitchburg...

D
You mean the block froze on another one? Well. That more or less confirms that a design flaw was responsible for killing the 2001..
No, it doesn't. First of all, railroad rumors should never be taken as fact. Sometimes they're true, but a lot of the time they're based on a real event with a few crucial details incorrect. Anybody remember the series of Rotem "electrical fires" that turned out to be dragging handbrakes and a trash fire?

Second, we have a sample size of two and we literally do not have any details on what happened, to say nothing of how.

Third:
Quiet Screamer wrote:
ACeInTheHole wrote:
Blown Engine? Where you get your news? The Globe? 2001 had minor freeze damage and is all repaired, it actually ran yesterday on the north side.
Put away your pitchforks, folks...
  by Gerry6309

2533 posts…

169 pages…

All about a routine equipment replacement?

Do I get the impression that some of you are rooting (screaming) for these things to fail?
  by DutchRailnut

Like racing fans, just waiting for crash, the race itself is boring ;-)