• MBTA's MPI HSP-46 Locomotives

• Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.
Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.

Moderators: sery2831, CRail

by tvachon

chrisf wrote:2001 seems to be undead, it just left Framingham inbound, with 1724 on the other end.
Zombie locomotives? Oh crap. How do you remove the head or destroy the brain of one of those?
  by 8th Notch

I don't know what failed on the 2001 yet however I will say that with these new locos, there is little or nothing for us to troubleshoot over the road if something fails. The units are new and shouldn't be failing in the first place but where as with the older units you can call the F.D for water or manually control certain things, it ain't happening with the HSP units (unless you security clearance). ;)
  by MEC407

I think some problems are to be expected, though. Metra was the launch customer for the MP36 series, and they had a LOT of problems with theirs in the beginning. Eventually those problems were ironed out, but it does take some time. I would expect there to be some teething issues with the HSPs, especially since this is MPI's first time working with GE engines and GE computer systems.
  by MetroBostonRailways

where can you see where the HSPs are in the U.S.? Is there a site that has a tracker or something?
  by GP40MC1118

No...Just didn't send an update....Were in Avon. Indiana for a while...

2007/2008 out of Cleveland on Q364-21 for Selkirk

D
  by GP40MC1118

The 2009 is stuck in Nampa on the BVRR, still not picked up by UP.

MPEX 2000 is winging its west back to Boise....by Best, Nebraska on the UP
  by GP40MC1118

Maybe some of us are in the industry and have the capability to trace engines/cars/etc.
Enough said...please...

D
  by MetroBostonRailways

GP40MC1118 wrote:Maybe some of us are in the industry and have the capability to trace engines/cars/etc.
Enough said...please...

D
alright i thought of that. thanks
  by butts260

8th Notch wrote:I don't know what failed on the 2001 yet however I will say that with these new locos, there is little or nothing for us to troubleshoot over the road if something fails. The units are new and shouldn't be failing in the first place but where as with the older units you can call the F.D for water or manually control certain things, it ain't happening with the HSP units (unless you security clearance). ;)

In the old days of solid state electronics, failures early on were more probable than later on. Be interesting to know if HSP-46 ailments are electronics related. /
  by daytripper1

2001s failure Friday was a high oil pressure issue. Whether it was a faulty sensor or actual failure I don't know, but the unit was back in the lineup for the evening commute Friday night.

Troubling that this unit has had several failures of different types in the short time it's been in service.
  by sery2831

I think different failures are to be expected on the 2001. This being still a prototype unit, it will more than likely have more failures than the production models. The production models had several factory mods done to the units that were done in the field with the 2001.
  by DutchRailnut

With the units brand new and not many people knowing how to reset faults you will see units shopped.
in a few months crews will just reset things themselves and MofE will just check fault logs.
Right now both MofE and T&E are still a bit Gun Shy....
  by sery2831

This is very true. But MPI is VERY hands on and are very present with these units. These units do not go far or long without a MPI rep.