• MBTA's MPI HSP-46 Locomotives

• Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.
Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.

Moderators: sery2831, CRail

by harshaw

This afternoon the 2004 was on the Rotem test train on the Valley Track. The set has three Rs, plus 922. I guess there are only three Rs to be tested, but a four-car set is needed to avoid speed restrictions.
Why the speed restriction?
  by sery2831

The T requires 4 cars to go track speed. Anything less you are restricted to 30 MPH.
  by harshaw

I was more curious about the reason, like what can go wrong in a short set? I have always wondered why some of the late night trains where only a couple of cars are open aren't just... a locomotive with a couple of cars. I know that building this set up is PITA, but it seems like it would more efficient.
  by 8th Notch

The problem with short sets is braking distance... On the Dorchester branch southside, even with a 4 car set you are still restricted to 30 mph and I believe I was told that a train ran a red signal because it was determined that it did not have enough braking force from the short string.... Im sure there is more to that but that's how it was explained to me, the breaking up sets part has been brought up here before and because of the way the system operates it is not more.efficient to cut and add cars... When you cut and add cars that requires extra man power to perform the task (electrician for 480, time to re-write paperwork and perform proper brake tests, time and space to add and remove cars, herder crew to do adds and cuts...) There are other things in play also but those are just a few things that come into play.

Sorry for going off topic Sery, now back to the HSP'S
  by MBTA F40PH-2C 1050

harshaw wrote:
This afternoon the 2004 was on the Rotem test train on the Valley Track. The set has three Rs, plus 922. I guess there are only three Rs to be tested, but a four-car set is needed to avoid speed restrictions.
The 2004 test train was at the High board at South Station round 5:30pm 6/11 looking for a spot into the Terminal...but s*it was hitting the fan due to #2160's yard move blowing an air hose in the middle of TOWER 1...which led to massive delays on the South Side...
  by sery2831

Just an update on the three units on the property.

2001 is now at BET for an unknown reason.
2002 is at BET feeling a little under the weather.
2004 is in active testing on a Rotem test train which is based at BET.
  by sery2831

2001 spent the day in the shop today. Headed back South late tonight.
  by GP40MC1118

Alert: The 2000 is out of Erie and headed back to Idaho on NS (in Indiana).
Moving as MPEX 2000.

2005/2006 at Buffalo on CSX Q364-12

2007/2008 interchanged in E. St. Louis UP to CSX

D
  by ACeInTheHole

GP40MC1118 wrote:2009 now showing "waybill reported" at Boise

D
There are now currently five in transit then. Dont ya think MPI would be wise to slow em up until a couple actually arrive in Boston? There are more in transit than on property.
  by 8th Notch

All of that is factored into the contract the same as what was done with the Rotem delivery. Only X amount of units can be on the property at a time until accepted by the T, the ones currently enroute are due to hit P&W first.
  by Rockingham Racer

ACeInTheHole wrote:
GP40MC1118 wrote:2009 now showing "waybill reported" at Boise

D
There are now currently five in transit then. Dont ya think MPI would be wise to slow em up until a couple actually arrive in Boston? There are more in transit than on property.
No not really. Perhaps the MBTA should get them moving and into service to keep up with deliveries. Better for everyone!