• MBTA in other media (ex-MBTA in the movies)

• Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.
Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.

Moderators: sery2831, CRail

by AutisticPsycho

RailBus63 wrote:
AutisticPsycho wrote:Well, just saw Ben Affleck's The Town last night which stars Ben Affleck and Jeremy Renner and two others as a armored car/bank robbing gang from none other than good ole' Charlestown.

Anyways, at the end of the movie everything goes south and Ben Affleck is the only man left standing, Affleck leaves Boston, however, he has the FBI and Boston PD on his back. Using a relative's MBTA uniform he goes to the Charlestown Garage and takes a bus and deadheads it to I believe Southampton Garage.

From there, the scene jumps to Commuter Rail stop (don't know which but it looks like a suburban one) with an Amtrak P42DC pulling Amcans which he boards.
Thanks for ruining the movie for those of us who haven't seen it. :(
Alright, I should have put a spolier warning up but to be honest... I hardly ruined it. I didn't say how everything went south, you'll have to see the movie for that. I commented on the end of the movie and I feel I didn't go into that much detail other than talking bout the bus scene.
  by 3rdrail

And also...to his credit, he didn't mention that the whole thing was a dream sequence while in a prison cell that you only find out in the last three seconds of the movie...or was that another movie ? :(
  by CJ

Not sure if anyone has seen episode 3x2 of Fringe, entitled "The Box" or not - they usually do a half-decent job with details, ie license plates and inspection stickers, etc, although other things are well, off.

Needless to say, in this weeks episode, the ending occurred at an underground green line station named "Kent Street" (which, isn't underground, but its for the plot). Needless to say, some of the signage seemed right, and other stuff was horribly off, the typical NYC subway set sort of thing. Then the train running thru (graphically done, of course) appeared to be (my memory is terrible) either a 1800-esque car, or a new Siemens car, or a mix of both. Seemed a bit wider, so I am leaning towards bombardier, but did not quite look like its cab.

Just, horrible fail at what they were trying to do, looking for pictures, but for now a picture of the station will do:

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_YPCf8JFgUdI/T ... ver302.JPG (not my image)
  by R36 Combine Coach

That appears fake.
  by AznSumtinSumtin

R36 Combine Coach wrote:That appears fake.
Because it is.
CJ wrote:Then the train running thru (graphically done, of course) appeared to be (my memory is terrible) either a 1800-esque car, or a new Siemens car, or a mix of both. Seemed a bit wider, so I am leaning towards bombardier, but did not quite look like its cab.
Since Fringe is/was partially filmed in New York City, the train could have been a set of NYCT R143s or R160s. Their stainless steel bodies and LCD destination signs can make them appear to be MBTA 01800-series or 0700-series cars at first glance. However, the station depicted in the picture does not appear to be a NYCT subway station. The scene could have been filmed on a sound stage with a NYCT train digitally added in afterward with disregard for accuracy.
  by typesix

Fringe is no longer filmed in NY, all filming is done in Canada. Their butchering is no worse than other shows, like when the X-Files had an episode on the MBTA and nothing was recognizable as the T.
  by CJ

typesix wrote:Fringe is no longer filmed in NY, all filming is done in Canada. Their butchering is no worse than other shows, like when the X-Files had an episode on the MBTA and nothing was recognizable as the T.
Its not "as bad" as the X-files episode, at least Fringe sort of had some details correct!

But, here is a better pic I grabbed, they really, really look like 1800's, fairly sure that's what they are supposed to be (if only on the Green Line!)

http://img822.imageshack.us/img822/1211/greenvb.png
  by jaymac

It's 30 or more years since I've ridden a Cleveland Circle train further out than Kenmore, but Kent Street sure didn't look like that! And what's happened to Temple Ohabei Shalom?
  by RailBus63

typesix wrote:Fringe is no longer filmed in NY, all filming is done in Canada. Their butchering is no worse than other shows, like when the X-Files had an episode on the MBTA and nothing was recognizable as the T.
You mean there isn't a yard in Revere full of old CCF-Brill trolley coaches? (The X-Files was filmed in Vancouver)

Maybe the funniest part of the Fringe visit to 'Kent Street' was when FBI boss Broyles stated that the subway was run by computer, leading to a scene where Peter Bishop almost gets run over by a train that was somehow set in motion by the mysterious box he was disarming - the train looked like it was about 14 cars long as it passed!
  by jamesinclair

Fringe has never been good at replicating Boston scenes, but that green line station does look better than the travesty that was their portrayal of South Station
  by AznSumtinSumtin

That's the Red Line. Those hideous seat covers are now the standard seat covers for all Red and Orange Line cars.
  by jamesinclair

The width of the car makes it obvious it's the red line. Blue and orange are much tighter.
  by StevieC48

Not sure if this was mentioned but they had a small teaching segment on Seseme Street which had 1700's at Davis Sq. I watched it a few years ago when my son was watching it.