• MBTA Commuter Rail Fleet

• Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.
Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.

Moderators: sery2831, CRail

by Aero_rail_nut

Just a quick question about the MBTA commuter rail fleet. I have only been to boston via amtrak thru south station so I have not seen all of the MBTA Commuter rail network. Does the "T" operate any electrified commuter rail service, either via third rail or canterary like the LIRR or MNRR? Are there any plans to electrify in the future?

by Robert Paniagua

The MBTA CR does not have any electric equipment at all, and there are no plans in the works to purchase electric rail equipment for them, they only Commuter line to run under any catenary is the Attleboro Line, but the MBTA, as I said, has no pland to even run its own electric equipment.

by octr202

Nope...all diesel. They use several flavors of original F40PH's and some MK clones, plus a (troublesome) batch of rebuilt ex-CN GP40's, now known as GP40MCs. Try this website, scroll down past the subway lines and you'll find an equipment roster:

http://members.aol.com/rtspcc/roster/MBTAroster.html

There are no current plans for electrification. As of today, only the Attleboro/Providence line has catenary, courtesy of the NEC electrification project. The T has stated frequently that it will not purchase either dedicated electric locomotives or MU's that can operate on only one line.

Boston has had plans for nearly a century for a "North-South Rail Link" that would connect the north and south side, similiar to what was done in Philly in the 1980's. However, don't expect to see this ANY time soon, given Boston's recent history with large public works projects. If it ever came to pass, it would probably trigger signifigant wiring of the CR system, but, like I said, it'll be snowing in that place down south before the NSRL ever gets built.

(Although, a railroad tunnel with 25kV catenary through it would probably put on a good light show if it were done to the same standards as the "Big Drain" we've got now!)