• MBTA Board of Directors names new GM

• Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.
Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.

Moderators: sery2831, CRail

by Teamdriver

MarkB wrote:
Finch wrote:
Teamdriver wrote:Imagine the headlines from a certain Boston publication if the T promoted someone from within:

"Insider Crony Appointed as Next MBTA Chief!"

So something, somewhere is the Herald's fault? How about the T just hire the right person,and you stop trying to score imaginary points against the hated enemy newspaper? The problem with MBTA management is not that the Herald criticizes them.
Dude Teamdriver did not write what you captured about the Herald, I dont know how you made it look like i did, this is what I wrote :
by Teamdriver » Tue Oct 02, 2012 8:39 am

I wonder what could be their compelling reason to choose this candidate. It seems she is under-powered with her work experience ( I would say unqualified but this is the public sector ) , and has all the makings of being used as a puppet. Isn't there someone within the T that could have been promoted up, someone that has a more actual realistic working knowledge of what's what? These are trying times, every buck counts.
  by BandA

It's been really quiet from the time they announced the appointment up until we heard about the psychologist. Governer Patrick today stated his confidence in the candidate. From the way the dismissal of Grabauskas was handled, the head of the MBTA is all about politics. Gov Patrick is not running for re-election in 2014, and could be gone much sooner if the speculation about Obama appointing his fellow Chicago pol as Atty General or other position.

It is possible that Beverly Scott may do an excellent job. It would behoove her, as her credibility is on the line and the "T" may make or break her career. After she starts, she should sit down and do an open press conference and answer all questions. If I was in a job, and they forced me to see a management psychologist, I'd be looking to leave whether or not the treatment worked.

As for fiscal situation, the "T" isn't dipping into reserves, it is INSOLVENT, and requires a bailout from the state general fund. Black mark on Mitt Romney; He was gov., and controlled the "T" through Grabauskas (unlike the Pike or U-Mass or other authorities that were controlled by Democrats and/or cronies of the legislature. And the union contracts were up. If the "T" was a business, they would have hardballed the contract negotiations, threatened to terminate their pensions, taken a strike, whatever! (they technically would save money every day they were shut down, though the economy would have suffered, it was strong enough back then to take it.) But Romney was already planning to run for pres, and would have looked bad if he was tough on the unions, so kicked the can down the road.

If I was Scott, I would draw up a contingincy plan for bankruptcy-receivership, ala Central Falls RI. Not sure if this is possible since they merged with the DOT.
  by Teamdriver

The fix was in for this thing, there is a lack of credibility on both this newbie and the T itself ( failure of Charlie Card to work with commuter rail after big $ costs to develop and resulting deflection to outsourced iPhone gizmomania method. ) . She is under-powered for this job, well beyond her capabilities as revealed by the light of day to her past performance. But she is saved by the old public sector, but the well is running dry.
  by KEN PATRICK

you just can't make this stuff. a 'career'? the marta audit alone should have disqualified her. apparently the suits on the board didn't have time-4 days before she was hired- to read the audit. then 'businss counseling'? last time i looked, this was a firing strategy. how about a $200k down salary adjustment? no flags here folks, move along. jump before firing. for a state with loads of smart people, why do we support public sector fools? ken patrick
  by CRail

Audit recommends seeking to cut down on absenteeism, pensions, and overcompensation of employees. Meanwhile Ms. Scott plans to utilize absentee compensation in order to qualify for a $125,000 bonus on top of her $370,000 per annum salary (that's $7,115.38 per week folks, even after Uncle Sam collects his share it's a pretty penny), but it's the workers who want to be able to retire some day, have the same type of sick leave the private sector offers, and a wage that allows them to live comfortably that are the problem.

It worries me that they're trying to bring more of this mentality to the T. If you don't like the service you're getting now, wait until less is being paid for it. There are a lot of people at the T who care about their job and treat it well because it treats them well. If you cut their treatment you'll lose them and be stuck with the remainder.
  by 3rdrail

There's an old saying that goes something like, “You're better off with the devil you know than with the devil you don't.” The opposite has been known to happen also. Crap shoot.
  by StefanW

Later today GM Beverly Scott is on the agenda of the Rider Oversight Committee. It's open to the public so anyone can attend.

http://www.mbta.com/about_the_mbta/public_meetings/?id=26290

It says "Meet and Greet" but I bet there will be some Q&A as well. I'm planning on going.
  by rethcir

Maybe it's early, but I'm getting the feeling that Davey is still pulling the strings at the T. I see Things Getting Done such as the countdown signs, Assembly Square, and the "groundbreaking" on the GLX so I think we could do a lot worse.
  by StefanW

rethcir wrote:Maybe it's early, but I'm getting the feeling that Davey is still pulling the strings at the T. I see Things Getting Done such as the countdown signs, Assembly Square, and the "groundbreaking" on the GLX so I think we could do a lot worse.
Sometimes I think that lots of the forward progress we're seeing is akin to momentum that's been built up under past management (Grabauskas, Davey, Davis). To use a rail reference, now that the MBTA is "building up a head of steam" the inertia factor of the old we've-always-done-it-this-way years might be gone for good. As long as GM Scott can keep the fire burning and the bearings greased we'll only see more and more getting done.
(Yes I'm a blind optimist sometimes - but that can also be called "hope".)

:-)