• Mattapan Snow Blower

• Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.
Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.

Moderators: sery2831, CRail

by BostonUrbEx

900 gallons of fuel in one run! HOLY MOLEY!
  by cdsida

That does seem like quite a bit of fuel. I wish they had used it on Friday though. I would have liked to have been able to see it in action.
  by danib62

900 gallons of fuel?! This is better then maintaining a type 3 plow why?
  by TheJollyRailfan

danib62 wrote:900 gallons of fuel?! This is better then maintaining a type 3 plow why?
Because plows dont melt ice. 2000 degree jet engines do.
  by danib62

So then explain to me what is the benefit of melting the snow vs just pushing it out of the way that is worth 900 gallons of fuel.
  by mitch3910

danib62 wrote:So then explain to me what is the benefit of melting the snow vs just pushing it out of the way that is worth 900 gallons of fuel.
It looks cooler for PR. -_-
  by BostonUrbEx

Doesn't the Red Line have a diesel snowblower? Keep it at Ashmont and use the connection to the Mattappan for easily access to both?
  by BostonUrbEx

4326 - Jet Snow Blower - Portec - 1978

04444 - Snow Blower - Idaho-Northern - 1987
  by TheJollyRailfan

danib62 wrote:So then explain to me what is the benefit of melting the snow vs just pushing it out of the way that is worth 900 gallons of fuel.
A jet also cleans deep between the rails whereas a plow only clears off the top layer. The less snow left the less chance it'll get sucked into the car and fry it.
  by Finch

TheJollyRailfan wrote:
A jet also cleans deep between the rails whereas a plow only clears off the top layer. The less snow left the less chance it'll get sucked into the car and fry it.
It can also melt ice away from switches, which is critical for keeping any railroad running of course.
  by CRail

Switch heaters are pretty good at that as well, and much cheaper to operate.
  by mitch3910

CRail wrote:Switch heaters are pretty good at that as well, and much cheaper to operate.
You know, I'd never seen one in operation until pulling into north station last Friday morning. I had no idea they basically set switches on fire to keep them clear. It was an interesting "what the..." moment. :P
  by Finch

CRail wrote:Switch heaters are pretty good at that as well, and much cheaper to operate.
I'm sure they are, but that doesn't mean this thing hasn't also served that purpose when push comes to shove. :)
  by 3rdrail

PCC's are fine for snow ! They ran for 65 years in the stuff ! The T guys have the covers to the relays removed for accesibility. Put the covers back on and run a car all night during a storm. Take a Type 3 plow or two back from Seashore to supplement. No problemo !