• Massapequa and Wantagh Station Renovations

• Discussion of the past and present operations of the Long Island Rail Road.
Discussion of the past and present operations of the Long Island Rail Road.

Moderator: Liquidcamphor

by MattAmity90

Construction EAST of Massapequa Park?! I have no idea what they are doing about that, but I told you before that the tracks are platform-width apart from East of Massapequa through Massapequa Park all the way to just West of the Unqua Road/Park Place trestle near Sunrise Mall. It's going to be interesting though what they they are doing, but my guess is railroad tie replacement track work, converting the 1980 wood planks, to concrete. Plus with Amityville Interlocking just to the East of that, they can easily single track it and do that work. The only disadvantage is that the next interlocking to the West is Wantagh Interlocking.
  by MattAmity90

I was on the train from Babylon to Penn Station and back, and so far I have found out the following.

1.) They replaced the bottom of Track 1 through Massapequa Park to Massapequa with new concrete and rivet bolts.
2.) The West End of the station is still ripped to shreds and they haven't ripped the old supports out yet.
3.) Finally, it looks like they installed the passenger bridge to the station over Broadway since it has new lighting. Of course it's not open yet though.

As a side not, my train (2:46 PM to Babylon did not switch at all, but the train I took into Penn Station (12:36 PM) switched from Track 1 to 2 at Amityville, then from 2 back to 1 at Wantagh due to the installation of a new high speed switch at Wantagh Interlocking.
  by lirr42

To briefly update anyone who is curious as to what is going on, all of the western half of the platform has been completely torn out. Of the supports, some were fixed up, a handful were taken out and replaced completely, and the rest were left alone. It seems like they only repaired/replaced those they needed too, while leaving the rest there. Looking at the station from the ground and the half of the platform that was open, it looks like they might be just about ready to start getting the new platform in any day now.

It will be interesting to see how they plan on doing that. If I remember correctly, when they rehabilitated Seaford they made prefabricated platform sections elsewhere and then just rolled them in during the off-peak times. As of today's schedule change, they're still single tracking through the area during the weekday off-peak and on weekends, so they still have excellent windows of opportunity to get things done.

It would be hard to gauge a timeline of the project going forward from just looking at the platforms in the dark, but, I would hazard a guess to say that shortly after the Christmas Chaos dies down, they will be kicking into high gear and we'll probably see the new platform in before January's out. Then they have a couple of months to get all the fancy stuff like lighting, signage, tactile warning strips, a new elevator, etc. in before April/May rolls around and they are scheduled to flip over to the other side of the platform and repeat the whole process.

In the coming weeks, I will probably be making a couple of visits to the area and I will come back with more photos and updates as I get them, so stay tuned!

Posted on 12/16/2013 02:00:00 PM No comments:
See More Posts About: Babylon Branch, Capital Construction, Massapequa, Massapequa Station Renovation, Stations
  by lirr42

nyandw wrote:lirr42: You are the "Station Maven" :-)
I make it a point to ride the whole railroad at least once a year to stay sharp ;-)
  by lirr42

lirr415 wrote:Get the most use out of that Montauk monthly...
I kept track of just how much I got out of my monthly in August, and in that one month I traveled roughly 5173.4 miles on the LIRR, which worked out to about $0.09 per mile...not a bad deal!
  by bellstbarn

Yesterday, 1.9.2014, I visited Massapequa and found workers (in freezing weather) apparently adjusting some of the supports into which the new platform slabs will fit. A surveyor had his instrument faced west down the center line. In the south parking lot, two truckloads of platform slabs have already arrived.

Massapequa, looking west, 1.9.2014. by sphoto33, on Flickr

Massapequa, 1.9.2014. New platform slabs await installation. by sphoto33, on Flickr

At Massapequa, new platform slabs of various sizes await installation. by sphoto33, on Flickr

The slabs are of various sizes. I suspect the first installation will be around the stairwells, where some slabs will not run the full width of the platform.
Yellow metal barriers seem to warn workers against tumbling down open stairwells.
  by lirr42

Interesting coincidence, Mr. bellstbarn as I happened to stop by the station to check out the work myself this morning. You can see the photos I took on my Flickr page now, and I'll have a more detailed posting sometime tomorrow.
  by lirr42

[image]
[image]
[image]

The entire western half of the platform is out and down to the supports, and they've replaced or repaired all of the necessary supports. They did not completely demolish all of them and start over, as it appears they only replaced those that were in really bad condition. It also appears like they have installed wooden fixtures on top of the supports so the new platform sections can be easily put into place. It appears like many of the concrete platform sections have already been per-frabricated someplace else and brought to the site. There are quite a few of them siting in the parking lot immediately to the south of the tracks. I did not have enough time to get all the way over to the far corner of the site where they had the concrete platform sections stored, but there appeared to be quite a number of them of all various sizes there. From what I've seen, it looks like over the course of the next couple weeks they will bring a crane in and hoist the new platform sections right into place. Then they just secure the sections to the supports and move on to the next one. I would wager they would be able to do a couple of them a day, and they could probably have the majority of them in place in just a matter of a couple of weeks. After that they'll move onto constructing the canopies over certain sections of the platform, then it's just a matter of some decorative work, yellow tactile warning strips, some loudspeakers and monitors, lights, miscellaneous wiring, and they're in the home stretch. If everything goes according to plan, they should be just about finished with the western half of the platform by the spring, and then they'll shift over and do the same thing on the eastern half.

[image]
[image]

One of the consequences of the western half being out of service is the fact that there is now only one place to access the station platform...the east underpass. Massapequa station, unlike many other stations on the Babylon Branch, is not built up on supports, but rather built up on an embankment, so there are only three opportunities to get from one side of the station to the other--the east underpass, the middle underpass, and the Broadway underpass. The staircases from the Broadway and middle underpasses have been closed off since they lead to the western half of the platform. As a result, the platform can only be accessed from the east underpass.

[image]

And this stinks for lots of commuters who park at the station. At Massapequa station, most of the parking lots are to the east of the station, rather than the west--so walking from your car all the way to the east underpass can be quite a long walk for some...and it can be made even longer and more painful by the cold, rain, and snow. By my calculations, the farthest parking spot at the Massapequa Station is about 0.38 miles away from the east underpass. When the other staircases were open that same walk would only be about 0.12 miles. (and by comparison, it's only about 0.53 miles from that parking spot to the very eastern end of Seaford station. So it wouldn't be that much longer to just walk over to Seaford station instead!).

[image]

The other underpass is still accessible for those who want to get into the main station waiting room or see the station agent (who's only there on Mondays and Wednesdays now), but the ticket vending machines and almost all of the foot traffic has moved to the east underpass.

[image]

Back at the east underpass, the wooden staircase that replaced the escalator is still there (and you can see the outline of the former escalator on the wall). Making this move definitely seems to have helped, since it helps with passenger flow off the platform. During the evening rush, the staircases can get swarmed pretty quickly since this station sees a ton of daily commuters. Presumably, the escalator will be replaced as part of Phase II.

[image]

Lastly, I'd like to briefly address the station canopy question, which I've heard a lot since this project started. Currently, Massapequa is one of the very few stations that has a full length canopy covering the entire platform. This is a nice feature when it's raining or during the summer heat, and many commuters want to know if they're going to get the full-length canopy back when the project is done. It looks like the answer to that is no. When they renovated the Seaford station, they only put the canopies over certain parts of the platform like over the stiarcases and waiting areas, while the other parts of the platform was left open to the air. Looking at the renderings for the completed station platform, it looks like they are going to do the same here. The full length canopy at Massapequa station, while nice at times, was actually probably one of the major factors in the deterioration of the platform. As the canopy aged, it got lots of holes in it, and when it rained, a whole lot of water was funneled out that one hole and concentrated on one piece of the station platform. That ultimately caused that particular piece to deteriorate more rapidly than the rest of the concrete. Repeat that situation dozens of times down the platform and you get the dilapidated platform we see now. The partial canopies, while not as convenient or nice during the rain, will be easier to maintain and hopefully the station will stay in better shape for longer. I took a number of photos at the site yesterday, and while I did not use them all in this post, you can view all of them on my Flickr page.

Posted on 01/11/2014 06:00:00 AM No comments:
See More Posts About: Babylon Branch, Capital Construction, Massapequa, Massapequa Station Renovation, Stations
  by bellstbarn

At Massapequa, 1.16.2014, 3 p.m., a crane has lifted several slabs to their positions at the west end of the platform. They are working east from Broadway. More slabs on are flatbeds in the parking lot. This operation appears to be done quickly, and maybe all the slabs for the west six car lengths will soon be up.
  by bellstbarn

At Massapequa, Sunday, February 2, 2014: It appears that all the platform slabs needed for the west six car lengths have been hoisted into place. The crane has left, and no slabs remain in the parking lot. A few days ago, I observed the placement of one slab, hoisted by the crane in a sling of maybe four stands, workers guiding it into place. Track 1 was in service, Track 2 not, as the crane worked from the south side.
----

These west six car lengths include the roof of the ticket office. There is much work to be done, with two stairwells, canopies, and fixtures. On two days this week, workers were doing something involved with the narrow passageway above Broadway and between the tracks. That open walkway brings passengers to the west side of Broadway and several parking lots. Obviously, the elevator adjacent to the ticket office is going to be rebuilt or replaced, but I cannot figure out any way to make the lower position more open to view (less hidden) than it was. For security's sake, I hope the planners can make a better design than I can imagine.
  by bellstbarn

Massapequa, new canopy near Broadway, 3.8.2014 by sphoto33, on Flickr
On Friday, March 7, 2014, a crane was busy installing the framework.
----

Massapequa, looking west, 3.8.14 by sphoto33, on Flickr

The higher level of the new platform puzzles me. I will have to see how it matches the car floor level when a train stops at Massapequa.
  by lirr42

I saw the metal structure while 2710 (the winter Cannonball) was passing through at 60. I was a bit surprised! Nice to see some progress. Will probably visit myself sometime next week.
  by lirr42

Was by the station today. The new platform is several inches higher, but it perfectly matches the height of the vestibule of an M7. The current station has a visible step down from the train to the platform, and this appears to correct for that.

I took some photos, and will try to have them up shortly.