• Massachusetts Central Railroad (MCER) Discussion

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New England
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New England

Moderators: MEC407, NHN503

by MCER401

KEN PATRICK wrote:A NOTICE OF EXEMPTION FD35356-0 FILED ON 2/23 REQUESTS COMMON CARRIER ROAD FREIGHT SERVICE, CLASS III SHORT LINE STATUS ON 773 FT OF TRACK OWNED BY THE O'RILEY FAMILY TRUST THAT CONNECTS TO MASS CENTRAL. THE PROPOSED OPERATOR IS ABC+D RECYCLING. THE FILING STATES THERE IS NO INTERCHANGE AGREEMENT . I SAW A PHOTO OF A HI-SIDED GON WITH A TARP MOVING TO PALMER. IS ABC&D RECYLCING CURRENTLY SHIPPING C&D BY MCER? IS THIS FILING SIMPLY A RESPONSE TO A RATE DISPUTE? KEN PATRICK

ABC+D has been shipping via MCER, there is a siding and always several hi-sided gons on the property. I believe this is one of their newer customers, and by that I mean within the past 10 years.

What exactly is ABC+D requesting in this filing? To provide their own power and switching? It does not seem to be that big of an operation.
  by MCER401

bruceclouette wrote:Some years ago on the NERAIL photo archive someone had pictures of Mass Central intermodal equipment -- spine cars and Gunderson stack cars. Is this equipment still around?

BRUCE CLOUETTE
The rolling stock, spine cars are long gone, probably around 10 years ago. They still have their lift equipent at their yard "office" in Palmer. My understanding is that the P&W took the intermodal traffic in 98-99 with more favorable rates. Don't know how true that is.
  by ebtmikado

A friend and I are planning on railfanning in the Palmer area on Friday. What's the likelihood we'll catch a MCER
train while there? At what time do they usually get to Palmer? I'd love to catch them at that long grade crossing
north of town.

Lee
  by polishpunk75

MCER401 wrote:
bruceclouette wrote:Some years ago on the NERAIL photo archive someone had pictures of Mass Central intermodal equipment -- spine cars and Gunderson stack cars. Is this equipment still around?

BRUCE CLOUETTE
The rolling stock, spine cars are long gone, probably around 10 years ago. They still have their lift equipent at their yard "office" in Palmer. My understanding is that the P&W took the intermodal traffic in 98-99 with more favorable rates. Don't know how true that is.

I worked in the intermodal yard in Palmer till they closed it in 99. The operation was moved to Ayer,MA and run by GTI (Guilford). Not far from their automobile unload facility.

In Palmer they appear to have some transload business involving tanker cars right in the yard.

PS Quabog Transfer is also out of business
  by MCER401

polishpunk75 wrote:
PS Quabog Transfer is also out of business
Really??? I was by there in June and the 1701 was still moving lots of cars around. Quabog Transfer also had a smaller operation a few miles further north on the NECR toward Belchertown that has been closed for at least a few years. Maybe that's what you meant?
  by MCER401

The Mass Central's South Barre customer appears to be expanding. Now my question is, what are they building and does it involve more rail cars in any way? Here are some pictures of the new structure, it's quite large. Anyone know what it is? There are also 6-8 low side gons, maybe tie gons? I believe these gons are coming from Pan Am Southern, being interchanged at Millers Falls and being brought to the Mass Central by the NECR.

http://photos.nerail.org/showpic/?photo ... y=gsenecal

http://photos.nerail.org/showpic/?photo ... y=gsenecal
  by Cadet57

Seems the MCRR just got a nice early Christmas present. Looks like some sort of interchange/ yard?
  by roberttosh

They are actually just pre-plating ties or maybe making track panels for a rail project I believe in Eastern MA somewhere for the MBTA or Amtrak. So there's no long term customer beyond the cars of ties.
  by MCER401

I've heard variations of that other places, someone told me they were buying used ties from Amtrak. Who knows....but it does seem a little strange that Amtrak would choose MCERs end-of-the-line in South Barre as a base for tie prep...no?
  by AM@BRT

Those are new wood ties to replace the failing concrete ties on the MBTA's Old Colony Lines: Boston to Middleboro / Lakeville and Kingston / Plymouth. To be clear, ALL of the concrete ties are to be replaced. 140,000 concrete ties on 24" centers to be replaced by 187,600 timber ties on 18" centers. All the timber ties are going to Wildwood Re-load in South Barre where they will be pre-plated before being delivered by truck to the MBTA's contractor. Total cost to furnish & install: approximately $63M.

AM@BRT
  by roberttosh

MCER401 wrote:I've heard variations of that other places, someone told me they were buying used ties from Amtrak. Who knows....but it does seem a little strange that Amtrak would choose MCERs end-of-the-line in South Barre as a base for tie prep...no?
If you want to believe that Mass Central just landed a huge customer and they are building a major support yard to service them, the have at it!! :-)
  by MCER401

AM@BRT wrote:Those are new wood ties to replace the failing concrete ties on the MBTA's Old Colony Lines: Boston to Middleboro / Lakeville and Kingston / Plymouth. To be clear, ALL of the concrete ties are to be replaced. 140,000 concrete ties on 24" centers to be replaced by 187,600 timber ties on 18" centers. All the timber ties are going to Wildwood Re-load in South Barre where they will be pre-plated before being delivered by truck to the MBTA's contractor. Total cost to furnish & install: approximately $63M.

AM@BRT

Finally, details.....Thank you!!
  by MCER401

roberttosh wrote:If you want to believe that Mass Central just landed a huge customer and they are building a major support yard to service them, the have at it!! :-)

That is always my hope. That or extending the line to the P&W :wink:
  by Stephen

AM@BRT wrote:Those are new wood ties to replace the failing concrete ties on the MBTA's Old Colony Lines: Boston to Middleboro / Lakeville and Kingston / Plymouth. To be clear, ALL of the concrete ties are to be replaced. 140,000 concrete ties on 24" centers to be replaced by 187,600 timber ties on 18" centers. All the timber ties are going to Wildwood Re-load in South Barre where they will be pre-plated before being delivered by truck to the MBTA's contractor. Total cost to furnish & install: approximately $63M.

AM@BRT
Too bad they're going by truck from there to the old colony lines...