• MARC Brunswick Line Mileage

• Discussion related to DC area passenger rail services from Northern Virginia to Baltimore, MD. Includes Light Rail and Baltimore Subway.
Discussion related to DC area passenger rail services from Northern Virginia to Baltimore, MD. Includes Light Rail and Baltimore Subway.

Moderators: mtuandrew, therock, Robert Paniagua

by CentralValleyRail

Here's what I got on the Mileage for the Brunswick Line: correct me if there are any mistakes.

Also does anyone know the speed limits on the Brunswick Line? and Frederick Branch?

Brunswick Line Mileage

Union Station 0.0
Silver Spring 7.2
Kensington 10.4
Garrett Park 11.8
Rockville 16.1
Washington Grove 20.1
Gaithersburg 21.0
Metropolitan Grove 22.9
Germantown 25.9
Boyds 28.4
Barnsville 32.5
Dickerson 34.8

Main Jct. 41.9 (0.0)
Monocacy 53.2 (11.3)
Frederick Yards 54.5 (12.6)
Frederick Sta. 55.6 (13.7)

Point of Rocks 42.0
Brunswick 49.0
Harpers Ferry 55.1
Duffields 61.2
Martinsburg 74.0
  by SurlyKnuckle

Metropolitan Sub Stations and Mileposts
Silver Spring BA 7.5

Kensington BA 11.0
Garrett Parl BA 12.4
Rockville BA 16.7
Washington Grove BA 20.8
Gaithersburg BA 21.6
Metropolitan Grove BA 23.6
Germantown BA 26.4
Boyds BA 28.9
Barnesville BA 33.3
Dickerson BA 35.5
Point of Rocks BA 42.8
Brunswick BA 75.6

Cumberland Subdivision Mileposts
Harpers Ferry BA 81.6
Duffields BA 87.9
Martinsburg BA 99.9

Old Main Line Sub Mileposts (Frederick Extension)

Monocacy BAX 0.8
Frederick BAX 3.3

As for speeds, I don't have the energy at the moment to type it all out, it varies between track and there are multiple restrictions and changes... it's alot of translating at the moment. Basically the MET maxes out at 79, all of Rocks is 30, the OML run is pretty much all 45, the branch is a mixture of 10 and 45...yeah, it changes.

This is straight outta my TT
  by polybalt

For those not familiar with the territory, mileposts on the Bruswick line as far west as Point of Rocks are measured from Washington, those west of there are measured from Baltimore via the old main line. That is the reason there is a 35 mile jump between Point of Rocks and Brunswick.
  by CentralValleyRail

Metropolitan Sub Stations and Mileposts[/quote]
SurlyKnuckle wrote:Metropolitan Sub Stations and Mileposts
Silver Spring BA 7.5

Kensington BA 11.0
Garrett Parl BA 12.4
Rockville BA 16.7
Washington Grove BA 20.8
Gaithersburg BA 21.6
Germantown BA 26.4
Boyds BA 28.9
Barnesville BA 33.3
Dickerson BA 35.5
Point of Rocks BA 42.8
Brunswick BA 75.6

Harpers Ferry BA 81.6
Duffields BA 87.9
Martinsburg BA 99.9

Monocacy BAX 0.8
Frederick BAX 3.3

As for speeds, I don't have the energy at the moment to type it all out, it varies between track and there are multiple restrictions and changes... it's alot of translating at the moment. Basically the MET maxes out at 79, all of Rocks is 30, the OML run is pretty much all 45, the branch is a mixture of 10 and 45...yeah, it changes.

Ouch I used the Google Pedometer. It was really off :P

Good to know the real stuff
  by strench707

SurlyKnuckle wrote:Metropolitan Sub Stations and Mileposts
Silver Spring BA 7.5

Kensington BA 11.0
Garrett Parl BA 12.4
Rockville BA 16.7
Washington Grove BA 20.8
Gaithersburg BA 21.6
Germantown BA 26.4
Boyds BA 28.9
Barnesville BA 33.3
Dickerson BA 35.5
Point of Rocks BA 42.8
Brunswick BA 75.6

Harpers Ferry BA 81.6
Duffields BA 87.9
Martinsburg BA 99.9

Monocacy BAX 0.8
Frederick BAX 3.3

Do you think you could scan those pages. I would love to add those pages to my Amtrak NEC DC-BOS timetable.

Thanks

Davis
  by realtype

I'm not a railroader but I can tell you that from my experience the 79mph speed limit is between around Washington Grove station and Randolph Rd. It may extend further, but I don't know exactly. Interestingly that's the point where the line shares property with the Red Line, and the stretch is also the location of the highest speed in the Metro system (70mph IIRC). Makes for some interesting races. :-)
  by SurlyKnuckle

The Metro is limited to 50, ..I think they reached 80 in tests, but day to day don't operated above 50 or so.

The 79 mph running is between Garrett Park-Rockville (where there is a 70mph curve), then picks back up from there to Washington Grove where there is a 75 mph curve. From there west to east Rocks, there is a mixture of 79 mph running with 65 and 70 mph curves, even a few 65 mph straights (right around Wards, and over at Pepco for example).

I'm sure I'd care more but nothing I'm on can run greater than 50. Another thing to understand about the mileposts is that they are nowhere near exact. The google reference is probably most factual in calculating distance, but on the railroad, mileposts are really just landmarks save for measured miles. Legend has it the technology wasn't the most accurate when the routes were layed out, and over time, the milepost locations were so embeded that it would have been detrimental to go and change them all to be correct.
  by Sand Box John

"SurlyKnuckle"
The Metro is limited to 50, ..I think they reached 80 in tests, but day to day don't operated above 50 or so.

The 1k Rohr cars reached speeds well in excess of 80 MPH during testing. I had the privilege of riding aboard a pair which reached the speed of 81 MPH in 1975. We could have gone faster but we ran out of track, No third rail power south of New York Avenue.

The 2, 3 and 4k Breda cars were capable of those speeds as well.

I have no idea what the absolute maximum speed is now of WMATA's various car series. I would hazard a guess it is something close to what was achieved with the original DC propulsions systems on the 1-4k cars.
  by dt_rt40

When I was kid and was less worried about seeming like a dork I would many times stand at the front of an orange line train between Vienna and Ballston and see the operator's digital speed readout hit the upper 60s. Maybe even 70 at times. I also know from chasing them in my car that they could go that fast. I think I read somewhere else that they tend not to go that fast anymore. That would have been in the mid 1990s that I was doing such things.
  by Sand Box John

There are a number of people that posted at misc.transport.urban-transit back in the 1990s that say they saw speed above 80 MPH on the other end of the Orange line.

WMATA stopped running trains at those speeds to reduce the wear and tear on track and rolling stock.
  by ToledoRailFan

I ran with an Orange Line train a few months back on 66, and my navigation system was reporting 64 MPH via GPS.

Back on topic - I live nearly within sight of the Randolph road crossing (in fact I hear something honking at it right now), and love hearing it. I don't have a scanner or such - does anyone know of any streams online of radio from the Metropolitan sub?