• Managers Testing???

• Discussion about the Union Pacific operations past and present. Official site can be found here: UPRR.COM.
Discussion about the Union Pacific operations past and present. Official site can be found here: UPRR.COM.

Moderator: GOLDEN-ARM

by 2000_LS1

I know that the UP has been on this whole terrorism thing since the stuff overseas happened and even before that but my question is, has anyone actually ran into any diciplinary actions on here or not? Just curious because I know that the message on our warrants say not to speak to anyone about the RR or answer any suspicious questions but most of the questions on here are suspicious in the way they ask to watch for these things. I understand people have hobbies and what-not, as do I about automobiles, but in all honesty the information is available via the WWW to everyone just about.

I was just real curious about that...before I put my foot in my mouth, lol.

Also, anyone, managers especially, care to explain what tests (field tests) are required? I know each engineer has to be stop tested in a certain time frame but is this the same for conductors?

Thanks!!!

by slchub

Mums the word on this post!

Usually when the managers are out and about, they will test you without you knowing about. You can check your Employee Development Review on the UP website by logging into the employee website and then clicking on the following link

https://employees.www.uprr.com/emp/oper ... ndex.shtml

put your dates in from - from period and you have the dates, places and rules you were tested on. Sometimes if a manager has enough energy they will stop the train, climb aboard and give you your FTX slip and say good job boys.

by slchub

I suppose we could get in trouble for divulging info here but if you notice the RRer's here don't ever give their names out and are careful not to provide any detailed info that would allow for someone to carry out a scheme. Like you said, most of the info is available to the public anyway in some fashion.

Here is some info from the company propaganda newletter:

In 2002, UP determined it would be more beneficial for managers to spend the majority of their time out in the field opposed to in the office. As a result, UP began developing tools to aid that effort.

Field Training Exercise is a program formed to observe employees for rules compliance, a means to improve safety on the service unit. Up until this year, FTX observations consisted of managers performing observations in the field, then returning to their office to document the observations in the computer.

A software version of the FTX field debriefing form, called FTE application, was developed to save managers time. The new FTE application allows managers to enter the observation while still in the field, ideally while debriefing the crew. This eliminates the time spent behind the computer in the office. They enter the information in the field, then just have to upload the information with the main frame when they return to the office.

One problem with the conventional FTX data entry was errors in spelling and inputting the correct rule numbers. Since the FTE application, which is a click and select method, those errors can be eliminated and the accuracy of the data is enhanced.

Ultimately, instead of using the paper forms, crews will be able to write their comments in the FTE application and sign acknowledgment that the debriefing took place. In order to do this, the software is ran from a Panasonic Toughbook, which has a writable electronic tablet. Although the FTE application may be used on any properly equipped personal computer, managers with road territories will be using the Toughbooks.

The software also provides information on crew member’s testing history. It electronically provides train and crew information, which helps managers select trains on which to perform observations.

by paddy78

Field testing applies to both engineers and conductors; the FRA dictates who must be tested by when, and what kind of test. Tests come in two flavors, structured and observation. Engineers are subject to structured tests which need to be set up by the manager and the manager needs to climb on the engine and discuss the results per company policy. These are the typical red fusee at night or flag around the corner tests that some of the guys on these boards talk about from time to time. Other structured tests include the infamous switch tag test or the "date with the detector", which can still count as a stop for the engineer even though the conductor gets the greater scruitny on these. (Especially true on the detector test, but most guys know that a 40 axle hit means that there is probably a manager lurking nearby. A 400 axle hit either means a legit problem or the manager really doesnt like you...) All TE&Y folks get some kind of test sometime, whether it be a simple crossing audit or having a manager watch you for 20 minutes as you set out that car (watch your points!). These "observation tests" are required twice as frequently as the engineer's stop tests are and apply to both crafts.

Some service units are different than others when it comes to debreifings. Some don't want managers to stop trains at all if the crew passes the test, but then the managers have to put the FTX forms in the employee's mailbox or mail them to their homes. A couple of service units give out hats, watches, and other junk for a stack of Act 1s. Other service units just let the employees check their records on the computer as slchub said or wait until the annual review comes around. Guess it depends on the superintendent more than anything.

And I have seen a few MOP's with the tough books, but I hae never seen someone sign an FTX on one. I think they still use the paper forms for FTXs and rides, but use the toughbooks for downloads.

by UPRR engineer

I've signed the Tough Book, trains were stacked up getting into town, MOP was climbing on every train, making sure everyone was doing there job, (that stopped at that block :-D ) running the same test(s). Thats probably why it wasnt on paper. Of course i failed to have a couple required pieces of paper on me. Aint no sense getting in trouble for lying.

by slchub

UPRR, you get the new Job Briefing book yet? Little white one with blue pages on the back. Although no new bulletins have gone out requiring them, one crew (Milford) got an act 2 for not filling them out.

by UPRR engineer

Nope havent saw any yet. Guess there gonna start making us document the job briefing huh? Crazy, whos in charge of the book? Corn-ductor? If i got to carry a book it will be some good reading for a manager.

Not a bad idea tho really since, job briefings are a Cardinal Rule. Ever been in trouble, and had that brought up? I always covered my butt when i was the forman working with meat heads. "Dont get hurt, dont corner cars, dont throw any switches under the cars". Most recently i was out running around with a different motor then my track warrant for bulletins showed. :-D Long story on how we got busted, but the job briefing we had got brought up later in the office. "Sorry Charlie Murphy, i was having too much fun." Thats about what i said. :-D Having too much fun getting the work done, didnt even bother to check.