• Man Hit in Bound Brook

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New Jersey
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New Jersey

Moderator: David

by pdman

A good thing to remember: trains and railroads are very unforgiving things to be around.

I was in the cab of a DL&W passenger train that hit a car with three nurses in it near Boonton. The driver got out, but they didn't.

Made me respect all that metal and speed to this day. Simple things: never step on top of the rail, never put any body part between the points of a switch, etc., etc., etc.

by nick11a

pdman wrote:A good thing to remember: trains and railroads are very unforgiving things to be around.

I was in the cab of a DL&W passenger train that hit a car with three nurses in it near Boonton. The driver got out, but they didn't.

Made me respect all that metal and speed to this day. Simple things: never step on top of the rail, never put any body part between the points of a switch, etc., etc., etc.
I can imagine that that can be a very scary situation. I know I would be in a comotose like state for a few days after experiencing something like that.
  by Mwy0325

What is a speeder? Is that like a go cart that rides on the rails?
  by Mwy0325

What are speeders used for?

by DutchRailnut

They were used for track inspections and to get track workers to work in remote sections of railroad. these days Hi-rail trucks are used for these tasks.

by nick11a

DutchRailnut wrote:They were used for track inspections and to get track workers to work in remote sections of railroad. these days Hi-rail trucks are used for these tasks.
Yep, and sometimes they'll just take a diesel. Like for example a week ago today, I saw 4106 going down the Gladstone stopping at signals so they could check them out.

by Engineer

Culling of the herd...

by Ken W2KB

What is a speeder?

<<<<<<<<<<<<<<-----------------------------

< :wink:

by Ken W2KB

P.S., my website has a 30 second or so video clip of taken from my speeder on a run. www.w2kb.org and look for the icon.