• Maine Narrow Gauge Museum Discussion

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New England
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New England

Moderators: MEC407, NHN503

by Jack Powell

Your Cosmo-ness : methinks thou dost protest too much:
Cosmo wrote:
Stag Hound wrote:Cosmo,
No offense, but I am continuously intrigued how you are the spokesperson for not only the WW&F but the Valley Railroad as well. I fully support academic discourse but one should not use the word "we" when speaking from a personal, speculative perspective to which you have no authority....
Hi stag,
... I'm not a "spokesperson" ... Just as any member of other groups can feel free to comment here and claim the title of "we" by being active participants in those groups, I do so with the WW&F and the VRR. So, to use the "royal We" for a moment, "We" helped lay rail and build a switch this fall up at Sheepscott. "We" also are working diligently on constructing the new cab for 3025."We" also got to have #97 join us for pizza a couple of Wed. nights ago.
ROYAL WE (from Wiktionary, the free dictionary)
English Noun:
The first-person plural pronoun when used by a sovereign in formal speech to refer to himself / herself.
Queen Victoria is the one most commonly associated with the use of the royal we, as in "We are not amused."
  by Cosmo

Jack Powell wrote:Your Cosmo-ness : methinks thou dost protest too much:
Cosmo wrote:
Stag Hound wrote:Cosmo,
No offense, but I am continuously intrigued how you are the spokesperson for not only the WW&F but the Valley Railroad as well. I fully support academic discourse but one should not use the word "we" when speaking from a personal, speculative perspective to which you have no authority....
Hi stag,
... I'm not a "spokesperson" ... Just as any member of other groups can feel free to comment here and claim the title of "we" by being active participants in those groups, I do so with the WW&F and the VRR. So, to use the "royal We" for a moment, "We" helped lay rail and build a switch this fall up at Sheepscott. "We" also are working diligently on constructing the new cab for 3025."We" also got to have #97 join us for pizza a couple of Wed. nights ago.
English Noun:
The first-person plural pronoun when used by a sovereign in formal speech to refer to himself / herself.
Queen Victoria is the one most commonly associated with the use of the royal we, as in "We are not amused."
Preeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee- CISELY!~
*removes tongue from cheek*
Now shall we carry on our discussion like civilized beings? :wink:
  by 3rdrail

Cosmo wrote:
Jack Powell wrote:Your Cosmo-ness : methinks thou dost protest too much:

English Noun:
Cosmo did win a crown on one of my quizzes.
  by Cosmo

I was also awarded the "Samantha Carter Award" for "Technobable Above and Beyond the Call of Duty" in an online roleplay... TWICE! :wink:
So here's my $4.50, where's my cuppa coffee? :razz:
  by Reader#108

Cosmo....as long as you don't say something like....' Cosmo can't get to steam in the snow' or 'you never see Cosmo doing that' alla Bob Dole I think you're fine :)....anyway....what is the current status of Engine 4 and Engine 7? Is steam still operational here?
  by bpiche84

Check out the forum:
http://forum.mngrr.org/index.php?sid=35 ... 6502e10838

Or, more specificaly, the sections on #7...:
http://forum.mngrr.org/viewforum.php?f= ... bbda1794bb

...and the engine house:
http://forum.mngrr.org/viewforum.php?f= ... bbda1794bb

There's plenty of news in there for anyone that wants to read up.

As for steam this year. It's looking possible that there will be steam this year, but that statement has no official capacity behind it.

If anyone wants to help make steam a sooner rather than later reality, the MNG steam team is holding work sessions the next 2 Saturdays (and probably most saturdays through the spring) to work on #7 and (if needed), #4. MNG steam work sessions are open to anyone willing to lend a hand, even if for a few hours.
  by 3rdrail

Reader#108 wrote:Cosmo....as long as you don't say something like....' Cosmo can't get to steam in the snow' or 'you never see Cosmo doing that' alla Bob Dole I think you're fine :)....anyway....what is the current status of Engine 4 and Engine 7? Is steam still operational here?
Why not ? It's worked for Elmo on Sesame Street all these years !
  by Cosmo

3rdrail wrote:
Reader#108 wrote:Cosmo....as long as you don't say something like....' Cosmo can't get to steam in the snow' or 'you never see Cosmo doing that' alla Bob Dole I think you're fine :)....anyway....what is the current status of Engine 4 and Engine 7? Is steam still operational here?
Why not ? It's worked for Elmo on Sesame Street all these years !
(I gotts say it, I gotta say it, I gotta say it...)

COSMO take PICTURE now, yes-yes? :smile:
  by daylight4449

HTBrandes wrote:Regarding Mr. Cowford's experience:

As a customer, I apologize if you were not met with a smile and treated courteously. However, as a railfan and as a courtesy, it would have been appreciated if you would have brought your concerns to our Executive Director instead of slamming us on the Internet behind our back only for us to find out about your experience through connections we have with other railroads. Yes, we all work together for the betterment of all of the railroads. We don't compete with each other or do things that make one of us look better at the expense of another. If I had an issue with my friends at WW&F, it would be discussed in person in private, not plastered across the Internet without their knowledge. The 2 foot community is a small community, we work together and respect each others efforts.

Yes, there is dust in our museum. We are a volunteer intensive organization that works in tight, rented facilities that we don't own. This is our achilles heel which fortunately WW&F does not have to worry about as they are property rich. As was mentioned in this thread, we have been very generous in the leasing and lending of our equipment to other railroads. Currently we have equipment in at WW&F, SR&RL and at Bridgton. Our mission is preservation of Maine history not just in Portland.

As for the city of Portland...don't bother to contact them. They have done nothing for us and we are not on any of their land. In fact, the have done everything possible to not have us thrive. Latest example of that is when they kicked us out of Franklin Street. We lost exposure to the public and the accompanying revenue.

It's been a tough economy, especially this year. Many volunteers at MNGRR have given countless hours to get us where are today. Are we there yet? Not necessarily, but that does not mean that we are going to give up. We have many plans in mind for 2010 and beyond. These require manpower and money. Donations and volunteer hours are always welcome as they are part of the answer.

Does WW&F get it? Of course they do. They ARE a class organization. But don't glorify them at our expense. We all work hard and give a lot so that all the two foot railroads can prosper. Discussions like this do not help any of us.

Hans Brandes
Vice President and Steam Engineer - Maine Narrow Gauge Railroad
Life Member - WW&F
Anywho, I can understand that Portland would try to keep you guys from growing. I've been working with the group trying to keep the depot in East Brookfield from being demolished, but I've been finding info that CSX was storing stuff there that could cause an enviromental problem. I was up there, and i'm assuming the same lady was at the counter during my visit last summer, and she seemed very friendly.

As for the dust on the displays, I didn't mind . What are you supposed to do in what appeared to be a converted garage, create a cold fusion reactor? I understand why some people are frustrated by what has happened to MNGR, and i don't blame them. I'd be frustrated to if i got that kind of reception when i visited, and to see it decline.

Guys, we shouldn't be bashing MNGR. If anything, we should see what we could do to improve their situation. While i love a good underdog story, I'm not in a mood to see this develop into a Golden Gate scenario, although it has benefited both the PLA and Golden Gate.
  by bpiche84

daylight4449 wrote: As for the dust on the displays, I didn't mind . What are you supposed to do in what appeared to be a converted garage, create a cold fusion reactor?
Funny you should mention that, seeing as Portland Co was making reactor parts before they went under.
  by daylight4449

bpiche84 wrote:
daylight4449 wrote: As for the dust on the displays, I didn't mind . What are you supposed to do in what appeared to be a converted garage, create a cold fusion reactor?
Funny you should mention that, seeing as Portland Co was making reactor parts before they went under.
Well thats a co-winky-dink :)
But didn't Portland Co. work on parts for the steamers?
  by Cosmo

Portland Company...
BUILT
"Steamers."
  by daylight4449

Cosmo wrote:Portland Company...
BUILT
"Steamers."
Well I was close enough...
  by MEC407

TheJollyRailfan wrote:Looks like Diesel #1 got a spiffy new paint job in the Portland Terminal/MEC/B&M switcher scheme.
Yup! http://photos.greatrails.net/s/?p=179029