• Maine Eastern Freight Operations

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New England
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New England

Moderators: MEC407, NHN503

by David Leonard

Can anyone tell me anything about Maine Eastern freight operations? My wife and I are spending a week in Bath (the town, not the tub!) beginning August 6 and I'd like to get some photos of the railroad if possible. I have passenger info.

by SLR 393

bump

c'mon someone must know something! :-D

by shadyjay

okay, you got me....

All the info i know is here...
http://home.comcast.net/~petlick/me.htm

Some is outdated, as i believe the track from brunswick to rockland is Class 3. I have read also that they are rehabbing the Lewiston Lower Branch and service is expected to start soon, if it hasn't already. I'd like to get over there and check their operation out, and ride the psgr train, but it's a haul from VT, and even though I pay $2.80 right now for gas, it's too far right now for a day trip.

-Jay H.
  by Sandy Burton

David,

You best bet is trying to catch a cement train that runs between Thomaston (cement plant) and Rockland (barge loading dock). It is not a very long run, but it is easy to chase. Trains to Brunswick are on an as needed basis. However, I believe that one engine is stationed at the Bath Iron Works plant near the Naval Air Station (east of Cooks Road I think). That crew will sometimes pick up interchange cars from Guilford (Pan Am???) and bring them to Rockland or Thomaston as needed. Your best bet might be to call the railroad in Rockland before you head out to learn what is running and where. I believe that they would be receptive to such a call.

They currently are using a M&E C-424 and a MERR GP9. But I don't know where each is stationed these days. The Alco is slated to return to NJ sometime, but I don't think it is going to happen anytime soon.

Sandy Burton