• Maine Eastern F-40s

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New England
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New England

Moderators: MEC407, NHN503

by bwparker1

Thanks for your reply Sandy.

If I had to guess, they (Big G) brought it up to Freeport in the dark.

Any hope of Freight service on the lower road between Bruswick and Augusta?

Brooks

by Sandy Burton

Brooks,

I have no idea about traffic on the lower road. I will be in Maine in a couple of weeks and will try to find out. However, I am not aware of anything going on north of Brunswick.

Sandy

by mc367

I don't believe there has been anything north of Brunswick on the Lower Road since Safe Handling was operating the line, and even then it did not last long.

I can't see there being much fright on the Lower Road, as the only possible customers are at East Augusta and that’s served by Guilford when they come down from Waterville. Here in Augusta, much of the main line though down town has been covered with dirt for use as a parking lot. Not to say that dirt can't be removed, but I feel the chances of Maine Eastern running fright on the Lower Road are slim. Of course I'm not in the know with the railroad, this is just from what I have seen. Of course I didn't think I would see F40's and FL9's on the Rockland Branch, so anything can happen.

-Justin Franz

by wolfmom69

Brooks;I am in that area a great deal,and will sometimes drive up Rt. 24 from Brunswick to Augusta(or other routes),just to beat the boredom of the Interstate). There is no potential on the Lower Rd. South Gardiner would seem the best bet,if a new firm was to take over one of the 2 warehouses there and use rail. Was hoping the privatization of the State Liquor Warehouse,right next to Pine State in the western part of Augusta,might bring a new customer. Both have sidings,and as you know,Pine State for several years was M.C.'s only customer on lower road.(I am not counting the brief,but fun times,when M.C. crossed the Kennebec,then handed their train over to an ST crew,who'd been driven down from Watervile as per UTU agreement, to switch the 3 customers a few miles up towards Winslow.) In MEC days,the State Liquor warehouse got cars in of distilled spirits-BUT-these had to be guarded by railroad police,at extra cost of course!

On a more positive note,as I posted about the SLR,Dragons cement shipment by rail is picking up,and BIW got so much steel plate in,that there was no room at Hardings,so for 2 weeks,they were stored on the east leg of Brunswick Wye.

Maine Eastern is doing some ballast work,getting "stone" in in those old "dirty yellow" BM ballast hoppers via Guilford.
Wif,.me and the dogs,are headed up the coast as far as Searsport tomorrow,for some "flea market/antiquing tomorrow,and I will try and check out the Maine Eastern. Knew I couldn't see the train Sat. PM in the dark,even though I am 10 minutes away;should be in Rockland by now!!!

Bud

by Robert Paniagua

Whats the present status of that train? And it's F40's? Still in POR, or back in Northern ME?

by MEC407

The F40s went back to New Jersey a few months ago.

The passenger cars and FL9s arrived in Portland last night around 8:30pm, and may have been handed over to the Maine Eastern folks at Brunswick by now, although I'm not sure.

by bwparker1

I was just curious as I saw this picture the other day, and it is clearly looking across the bridge in Brunswick, Augusta would be northbound.

Brooks

by wolfmom69

Methinks that was when Maine Eastern had to "set out" some of the covered gons,with "rubble" from Maine Yankee,when they were returned,still loaded,from the disposal site. Caused quite a stir,when the railroad used the Cathance siding)an old MEC passing track,off Rt. 24 in Topsham.

Don't know if the railroad left them there,to keep em' "outta sight.outta mind",as compared to Brunswick yard,or even the start of the low road,by Rock Jct. off Federal St. They also use Bayside siding,in Woolwich,in back of the Taste of Maine resturant for this Woolwich residents complain a little,but the Cathance episode,brought in TV covverage,and Topsham checked things out with a Geiger Counter-NOTHING!!!

But,then you never know. Stone blocks,that were the only part of Rowe Atomic Plant,that was salvaged,and used in readsboro Vt.(remember the Hoosac Tunnel & Wilmington &(VT) RR?? Were just found to be slightly "hot" after about a decade there!!!

So,that was the "freight" movement that the photo showed! Bud :P

by bwparker1

Thanks for the input Bud.

Brooks

by MEC407

by wolfmom69

Checked out the consist today in the Rockland Yard;looking more "age compatable" with the coaches than the F-40's. Sort of a 60's flashback!

The 1501 was also in the yard,instead of being down on the west end of the railroad. Looks like the M-420 hasn't moved in a couple of months since we were last there.

Guilford's engine that went up to Brunswick with the consist late Sat. Pm(think it was the #345),mustv'e spent Sunday tied up in Brunswick(not unusual),because,around 10:00,they were getting ready to head to Rigby,with a consist,including about 6 cement loads,almost all Dragons new cars. Bud

by nick11a

In case you're interested, some of us railfans from North Jersey caught 488 on the 14th being being wyed at Denville. Here is a shot.

http://home.comcast.net/~njosullivan9/D.jpg

by denvillerailfan

nick11a wrote:In case you're interested, some of us railfans from North Jersey caught 488 on the 14th being being wyed at Denville. Here is a shot.

http://home.comcast.net/~njosullivan9/D.jpg

AHhhh... I miss them already.

Maybe they'll use the F40's for something around here now.

Thanks for the shot Nick.

by NellsChoo

Nice... real nice... Does anyone know what road these engines were originally from?

by MEC407

The heritage of the FL9s is:

New Haven --> Penn Central --> Conrail --> other roads, such as MetroNorth, ConnDOT, etc.