• Maine Central Steam Locomotive #470 Discussion

• Discussion relating to the pre-1983 B&M and MEC railroads. For current operations, please see the Pan Am Railways Forum.
Discussion relating to the pre-1983 B&M and MEC railroads. For current operations, please see the Pan Am Railways Forum.

Moderator: MEC407

by RGlueck

Noel, you need to review our website in detail. There will be no disassembly of the locomotive until money is in place to complete each individual phase of the project. I understand and respect your skepticism in reflection of what some others have not been able to accomplish, but "we" are not "them". Leaving the locomotive where it is, as it is, means certain destruction in, perhaps, less than another decade. You, as an individual, need not give to any restoration project, but undercutting the efforts of those who do champion such a cause merely hampers the effort.
I recall a scene for "Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid", wherein all these lesser characters stand around watching a knife fight between Butch and Harvey Logan. At the conclusion, when Butch wins, one of the watchers rushes over and says, "I was really rooting for you!" Butch replies, "Why thank you. That's what sustained me in my hour of need."
  by PViolette

We have received many more supporters than just Governors. You will find that on our website under "Get Involved"

We have also raised over $18,000 that is split into various accounts that you can find on the minutes that are posted under "Business"

One of our larger donations have been roller bearings from Amsted Rail. They have supplied eight to go to the tender journals, four to the pony truck and two to the trailing truck. A very large and helpful donation.

Peter Violette
Secretary, New England Steam
  by gokeefe

Noel,

I know several members of his team, one in particular quite well. NESCO does in fact have a highly experienced team. They come from diverse backgrounds but in essence they form the very core group of railroad steam engine mechanics in Maine and consult, volunteer or assist virtually all steam operations anywhere in Maine. Some of them have also been involved with CSRR in one way or another to greater and lesser degrees. Their experience in machining is very significant as well as their access to facilities and machine tools.

I think your concerns about the challenges are well placed and from what I have seen here and in person NESCO shares these concerns as well.
  by daylight4449

Keefe, I'll second that motion. Having seen what these guys bring to the table as well, I don't doubt that they can bring back 470. Their collective skillset far outstrips anything a few people at keyboards can do... But, of course, these things cost money. With these fundraising efforts, I've noted a degree of professionalism to their efforts that puts some other professional efforts to shame. It's that degree of professionalism that convinced me to donate my Christmas bonus, and then some more for good measure. Like I said to Richard and Peter in Springfield, that's the best $150 bucks I've ever spent. So, as an old friend of mine once said, "if we can't put men on the moon..."
  by Noel Weaver

Question was raised as to just what preservation efforts that I have been involved in? Well I have been a Branford member for 56 years this year and in my earlier days I was quite active there. I am a member in good standing of the Railroad Museum of New England, Canadian Railway Historical Association and one or two others that have property or equipment. I am in the process of dropping some organizations, my goal is to drop one a year for the next three or four years and I will NOT drop any of the ones I have mentioned here nor the Florida East Coast Railway Society which does a good job at maintaining a good relationship with the railway. I have been re-reading my old issues of Trains Magazines and in the early 1990's they have featured articles about the rebuilding of some of the historic steam locomotives that are running today and believe me it does not come either easy or cheap. As I have stated earlier, I can't get involved in this one but I wish you all the BEST.
Noel Weaver
  by drvmusic

While I am not in a position to support this financially right now, if I ever find an opportunity to do so, I will. I applaud all of you for your efforts and I hope this is successful! It's a long road ahead, but it would be so amazing and significant to New England railroad history!
  by RGlueck

DRV, thank you! Yes, it is important for people to do what they are able to, but nobody wishes to inflict hardship on those who do not have the economic ability. Again, the railfan, rail hobbyist support is critical, but corporate and foundation support is where we really have to seek the completion funding. This IS a New England project. This IS a critical piece of Maine history. This DOES reflect the railroad transportation legacy of every New England railroad. It will be entrusted to New England Steam, but it truly belongs to the citizens of Maine and New England. As citizens, we must show how strongly we believe in the critical nature of railroad technology preservation.
  by CN9634

What is one way to help restore the #470 for relatively low cost? Get University of Maine Engineering students to do it as their final project:
http://wabi.tv/2014/04/30/1900s-lombard ... -30-years/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Also the chap at the end of the video is interested in doing more stuff with steam power... perhaps a good candidate to reach out to for this project.
  by RGlueck

I've already spoken to these people, and yes, I know the professor involved. Thank you for the suggestion.

BANGOR PUBLIC LIBRARY On Wednesday night, May 07, at 6:30PM, New England Steam will present an hour long discussion of 470, her past, and what we are attempting to do with the locomotive. This will be upstairs in the BPL lecture hall, with a slide show and question period. If you live in the area, please consider attending. Seating is limited to 70 persons.
  by BM6569

Will you have a booth set up at any of the National Train Day events in Maine? Brunswick should have a good turnout.
  by RGlueck

We appeared in Brunswick, and had a very enjoyable time amongst train lovers of all ages, both genders, and all sizes. Wow, do people LOVE the "Downeaster"!

I am speaking at the Portland Rotary Club breakfast this coming week, and then doing a radio talk show later in the morning. The "Maine 3 Railers" (what a great bunch of people) will host us at a meeting in June, and then comes "Touch A Train 2" in Ellsworth, June 21st!

Current Indiegogo campaign winds down in a the next day or three. Still time for you to donate there, or always possible through our website.

Talk to your employer or human resources officer about including New England Steam Corporation as part of their annual community support campaign!
  by RGlueck

Thursday evening, June 12th, I am presenting for the "Maine 3 Railers" in Topsham. Please contact that group for directions.
  by 690

I stopped at Waterville this afternoon, and snapped a few pictures of the 470. Unfortunately, it's at a horrendous angle for pictures in the afternoon sun, so please excuse the backlighting.

And a close up of the tender, where the rust has eaten through the sides: