• M9 and M9A Procurement & Acceptance

• Discussion of the past and present operations of the Long Island Rail Road.
Discussion of the past and present operations of the Long Island Rail Road.

Moderator: Liquidcamphor

by freightguy

Looks like the 9055(56) came down on CSX to Fresh Pond Thursday into Friday 2/14/2020.
  by Train2009

Caught 2 sets on 2/14/2020

1. Train #2317 from Farmingdale to NYP with 8 cars

2. Train #2102 from NYP to Ronkonkoma with 12 cars.

Both were seen in Queens Village.
  by newkirk

Question: Are the M-9's in service on the weekends on the Ronkonkoma Branch or anywhere else ?
  by gregorygrice

newkirk wrote: Tue Mar 10, 2020 2:32 pm Question: Are the M-9's in service on the weekends on the Ronkonkoma Branch or anywhere else ?
They are not restricted to weekday service.
  by newkirk

gregorygrice wrote: They are not restricted to weekday service.
Yesterday (Sat. March 14) I saw a train of M-9's at Hicksville at 4:59PM. All doors open, destination sign stated "Penn Station". Must have been a Huntington train.

Earlier in the day, possibly the same train spotted in Farmingdale. Train made a station stop at Farmingdale. I counted 12 cars. Test trains are usually 6 cars.

Now if I can only luck out at catch one into the city. I don't travel weekdays by train.
  by Head-end View

It's been a month since we heard anything on this subject. Can anyone update us on the current state of deliveries/testing/# of cars in revenue service? With the major shutdown from the Coronavirus, is anything happening at all, or is the entire program at a standstill until further notice?
  by REM3Night

Sorta different subject:
I read with the current schedule only M-7s are being used - I guess all of the M-9s are in storage
  by gregorygrice

All M9s and M3s are in storage and it looks like Kawasaki has slowed down on orders & warranty work.
  by Pensyfan19

gregorygrice wrote: Tue Apr 21, 2020 9:12 pm All M9s and M3s are in storage and it looks like Kawasaki has slowed down on orders & warranty work.
I thought so. I've been checking the MyLIRR tracker often and all I've been seeing for the past two months are M7s.
  by newkirk

I observed M-9's in service yesterday and today on the Ronkonkoma branch.

Because of sanitizing M-7's ?
  by gregorygrice

newkirk wrote: Tue May 05, 2020 10:36 am I observed M-9's in service yesterday and today on the Ronkonkoma branch.

Because of sanitizing M-7's ?
That was a test train. It appears testing has resumed with the full reopening of Kawasaki.
  by Pensyfan19

In that case, how many sets does that make? How many are testing, in service, and is the total amount of M9s on the island?
  by Pensyfan19

With New York City in phase 1 of reopening and the LIRR going back to 90% regularly scheduled trains starting monday the 8th, some M9s are back in service!

https://railpictures.net/photo/738749/
  by MACTRAXX

PF and Everyone: I saw this M9 train with 9018 east going into Ronkonkoma Monday 6/8 - I remember this was a 10 car set. There was another 6 car M9
set that ran west from Ronkonkoma during the AM Peak. Ronkonkoma
Station was a busy place yesterday on the first day of (almost) regular
service with a large LIRR management and MTA Police presence.
MACTRAXX