Discussion relating to the operations of MTA MetroNorth Railroad including west of Hudson operations and discussion of CtDOT sponsored rail operations such as Shore Line East and the Springfield to New Haven Hartford Line

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, nomis, FL9AC, Jeff Smith

by checkthedoorlight

The 1AM train to Croton-Harmon, leaving from track 34, is going to be an 8 car M2! I was on New Haven train that was due to arrive at GCT at 11:52PM (due to the Waterbury line being bustified, we had to sit in Bridgeport for 10 minutes, actually getting us into GCT after midnight) which came in on track 34. I know this is probably way too short notice for anybody to see for yourself, but as we all know it is a VERY rare occurance for a NY line to use M2's for revenue runs. Heck, it's a rare occurance to even see a M2 west of track 30!

by Otto Vondrak

It happens...

by njtmnrrbuff

I happen to be up but I will be going to sleep soon. If I wasn't so busy and tired, I would walk to the station even though it is very late. I won't be staying up this late on Saturday night because I need sleep before the excursion.

by DutchRailnut

M2's on Hudson happen more than you imagine, the specialy send trains up there in fall for wheel trueing.
Only two wheel mills on MNCR one in New Haven and a much newer and faster in Harmon.

by njt4172

What is an M2?? Are these the red striped cars that usually operate on the New Haven lines???

Thanks,
Steve

by roee

M2's are the dual mode units, that can take power from the 3rd rail and the catenary wire. Yes, they are the red striped units.

by 4 Express

njt4172 wrote:What is an M2?? Are these the red striped cars that usually operate on the New Haven lines???

Thanks,
Steve
Also, on top of what roee said, the M2's look very alike as the M4, M6's.

by checkthedoorlight

I am aware that M2's going up the Hudson line (and even occasionally the Harlem!) are pretty common, but are they used to move PASSENGERS on a daily basis? This is only the second time I've ever seen it.....granted, it isn't very often that I am in GCT around midnight.

by DutchRailnut

Sure if your gone send the train up why not in revenue.
for passengers it makes no difference.
  by MNRR PA OPERATOR

hey its been done alot. My personal experience was i was assigned to 125th this year, i see 9542 pullin up on track 2 at 125th bound for NY. However, 8743 was the lead unit of a full M2 consist! 9542 is a local from North White Plains to GCT on a saturday. I even called the RTC, and asked him if this was indeed 9542 on 2 track. He said yes, but when i told him the head car number, he was like really? so he calls the train saying what is ur car number? sure enough 9542 said, 8743! I said to the RTC he must have come from the NWP paint shop. BUT HE SURE WAS IN REVENUE SERVICE!!!