Discussion relating to the past and present operations of the NYC Subway, PATH, and Staten Island Railway (SIRT).

Moderator: GirlOnTheTrain

by Trainmaster5

The MTA postpones subway and bus upgrades today (from NY Times online). Wasn't the recent fare increase for these upgrades ? The MTA and NYC Transit couldn't run a Lionel train around a circular track without screwing up. Fulton St connector, SAS, Javits extension, all late or scaled back. Fellow forum members scale back your wish lists.

by Wallyhorse

Not really that surprising:

We are in a bad economy right now, and while eventually I suspect we will see the service improvements, until the economy improves it probably will be difficult to do all of them.

by Trainmaster5

Wallyhorse wrote:Not really that surprising:

We are in a bad economy right now, and while eventually I suspect we will see the service improvements, until the economy improves it probably will be difficult to do all of them.
But these projects were in the pipeline before the economy went south.

by Wallyhorse

And the big ones (7 extension, SAS Phase 1), should not be affected:

I was talking about other things like additional service on the B & W lines for example. Those are the things that likely will be jettisoned for now.

by Trainmaster5

The Second Ave subway, along with other improvements, was originally in bond proposals and approved by the voters in the early '50s. It was also passed in the mid '60s. I originally started with NYCTA in the late '60's and we had more lines and stations in service in those days. We've had good times and bad times economically in the interim but I have yet to see the TA-MTA follow through on any proposal as originally planned. Even the Queens Blvd improvements are only a part of the IND Second System.